Practice Updates 8/29 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Practice Updates 8/29

Barry Jackson‏Verified account @flasportsbuzz 5m5 minutes ago
Telling: William Hayes said J. Phillips has competed harder, been a "total different player" since earlier demotion:

Asked if he believes he still can win the starting job, Phillips said: “That was never a question in my mind. So yeah....I felt like this was my best preseason, training camp, everything. I've been sticking to the grind.”

So where has he improved?

“I'm just playing harder, honestly,” he said. “Everything is coming together.”

Phillips said losing 19 pounds, from 347 earlier this offseason to 328 now, has helped.

“I feel good, that's all that matters,” he said. “This offseason I came in heavy at 347. Training camp out here you're going to lose weight. It wasn't hard [to lose weight]. I knew it was going to come off. My joints are a little bit better. Moving around well. Can play longer faster.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article169973212.html#storylink=cpy

Been an advocate for Phillips for quite a while now. DT takes a lot of developmental time. This is year 3 for Phillips and it's time to shine or move on. Pulling for this talented kid to put it all together.

Talk is cheap and an awesome play once in a blue moon does not make up for inconsistent play for the majority of time. We need more consistency and less flashes here and there!

Been an advocate for Phillips for quite a while now. DT takes a lot of developmental time. This is year 3 for Phillips and it's time to shine or move on. Pulling for this talented kid to put it all together.

Yet, plenty of people on here like to argue that DT should be an immediate impact position for rookies.... seen that a few times this year.

Good example of why it is great to have real competition for a position. Godchaux impressed right throughout Training Camp and looked the likely starter but now Jordan Phillips has stepped up. Really good sign that he has lost 19 lbs and is in better shape. Now a svelte 328 lbs.
Dolphins are better with both of these guys in a rotation. D-line has talent - they just need to deliver (and keep healthy).

Last edited:
Yet, plenty of people on here like to argue that DT should be an immediate impact position for rookies.... seen that a few times this year.
It took Paul Soliai several years to really get the hang of it and become a legit quality DT. I agree with Sons Of Shula that it's a position you have to show some patience. Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy were exceptions that they were so dominant in college that they transitioned easily. Many productive DTs take years to fully develop to reach their zenith.

It took Paul Soliai several years to really get the hang of it and become a legit quality DT. I agree with Sons Of Shula that it's a position you have to show some patience. Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy were exceptions that they were so dominant in college that they transitioned easily. Many productive DTs take years to fully develop to reach their zenith.
It does take time and it did take Soliai a few years but he was a 5th round pick I believe and Phillips was a 2nd round pick. I have high hopes for him but so far this pre season I haven't really seen much of a difference. Other than that tip INT he really hasn't done anything and the rookie has totally been much better. We do need fresh bodies out there so he'll be a part of that rotation. I'm hoping he can put it all together. He just needs to go hard for about 20 to 25 snaps a game

Ozzy rules!!

328 should be a good weight for Phillips. 330 or less should have more play stamina.

It does take time and it did take Soliai a few years but he was a 5th round pick I believe and Phillips was a 2nd round pick. I have high hopes for him but so far this pre season I haven't really seen much of a difference. Other than that tip INT he really hasn't done anything and the rookie has totally been much better. We do need fresh bodies out there so he'll be a part of that rotation. I'm hoping he can put it all together. He just needs to go hard for about 20 to 25 snaps a game

Ozzy rules!!

The only DT's that tend to shoot out of the gate are the elite early round 1st picks. Otherwise, regardless of round chosen, the period of growth for DT's is substantial.

Yeah I always thought 320 would be good weight for Phillips and it looks like he'll be pretty close to that week 1. I really hope he's as hungry as he claims to because he needs to give us more. I think we all have to be pleased with the rookie DT play though and that'll help spread out the snaps.

Barry Jackson‏Verified account @flasportsbuzz 5m5 minutes ago
Telling: William Hayes said J. Phillips has competed harder, been a "total different player" since earlier demotion:

Asked if he believes he still can win the starting job, Phillips said: “That was never a question in my mind. So yeah....I felt like this was my best preseason, training camp, everything. I've been sticking to the grind.”

So where has he improved?

“I'm just playing harder, honestly,” he said. “Everything is coming together.”

Phillips said losing 19 pounds, from 347 earlier this offseason to 328 now, has helped.

“I feel good, that's all that matters,” he said. “This offseason I came in heavy at 347. Training camp out here you're going to lose weight. It wasn't hard [to lose weight]. I knew it was going to come off. My joints are a little bit better. Moving around well. Can play longer faster.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article169973212.html#storylink=cpy

So he's right back where he was when he came in the league at 329....LOL. Way to commit yourself in the off-season JP. Gained 20 lbs eating cheeseburgers.

Can play longer faster.

Compared to when you were at the same weight last year? Give me a break. I hope he proves me wrong. We need him to do it before THE contract year.

He should have entered camp at 328 AFTER gaining more muscle mass in the off-season.

That tip/INT he made, and the athleticism he showed going for the TD was crazy for a man his size. He even changed the ball from his right to his left hand trying to avoid tacklers. His talent is obvious, his challenge has always been between his ears. Obviously the rookie challenged him and it has worked so far.

I'm not on board with Suh kicking in practice, although the thought of it is making me laugh. We've lost too many players to injury. They can have their fun, BUT PLEASE DON'T GET HURT!!!

construction-worker-lunchbox-thermos_f068869b-5662-408b-898c-eba019f673ec_2048x2048.jpg
depositphotos_39435583-stock-illustration-cartoon-pretty-mermaid.jpg

Back
Top Bottom