Pre-Combine/Free Agent/Baker Mayfield/Off Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-Combine/Free Agent/Baker Mayfield/Off Season

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
A glimpse of what it might look like if the Dolphins indeed get Mayfield at #11.

I am not predicting this; I am on record predicting that Saquon Barkley will slide, and the Dolphins will draft him and it will be Ronnie Brown all over again. The similarities between Brown and Barkley are shocking.

Just thought it might be interesting to consider how the team could look if the Dolphins pull the trigger on Mayfield.

Blockbuster trade: Tanny,Laremy Tunsil,and Xavien Howard for Patrick Peterson and the Cards 2nd and 5th round picks.

Dolphins send the Broncos a 7th round pick for Aquib Talib CB. Most GM's think Talib will be released, but the Broncos want to trade him. It might take that 5th from the Cardinals or our 6th but acquiring Talib gives the Dolphins arguably the best secondary in the league and it affords the Dolphins a year or two to continue to develop Lippett,Tankersley and McTyre. Nice depth as well.

For this look Landry,Hayes, and most of the other FA's walk and the Dolphins look to put together an elite OL.

Timmons,Julius Thomas,and Ted Larson are released.

Ju'Wuan James signs a team friendly 5 year 33 mil deal. The bulk of the money is in years 2-4 with a minimal 1st year cap hit. This will lower his cap hit for 2018 down to 1 mil instead of the 9.6 mil it would have been on his 5th year option.

Dolphins sign both Andrew Norwell and Ryan Jensen to long term contracts. Norwell gets a 7 year 90 mil deal loaded with guaranteed money. Frazier gets 5 years 50 million with much less guaranteed money. Jensen played center last year for the Ravens out of need, and he played great, but he projects just as well at RG, where he played previously.

Dolphins sign Haloti Gnata to a two year 7 mil deal giving the Dolphins the versatility to use Suh on the outside more in the future.

Dolphins sign TE Troy Niklaus to a 3 year incentive laden deal worth potentially 10 million, but will more likely be around 5 mil. Niklaus has never come close to fulfilling his potential. Very injury prone, but has the potential to yet achieve the title of a complete TE. Troy is huge and has the potential to be one of the better blocking TE's in the league. He also has tools to be a plus receiver if he could ever stay on the field. Dolphins take a flyer on an enormously gifted, but oft injured, yet still very young TE.

It may look impossible to make these moves at first glance, but the Dolphins cap situation in 2019 is so good going forward from there, the versatility to sign contracts with minimal first year cap hits is there.

They would maybe have to tweak a couple contracts to make sure there is some extra in case of signings during the course of the season, but it really is quite doable.

Draft:
1st....QB Baker Mayfield
2nd....WR James Washington
2nd.....TE Mark Andrews
3rd......RB Nyheim Hines
4th.....LB Nick DeLuca
4th....WR Trey Quinn
5th,,,,,DB Nick Nelson
6th.....DE Zach Sieler
7th.....QB Nic Shimonek
Priority FA's
LT...Aaron Stinnie
RB/FB/Slot/Y-receiver/Special Teams....Ryan Nall
RB.....Chris Warren
QB/Athlete.....Tanner Lee
OLB......Peter Kalambayi
Safety/OLB....Matthew Thomas
Safety/OLB.....Kyle Queiro
Punter...Ryan Winslow

QB.....Mayfield,Fales,Shimonek
RB......Drake,Hines,Warren,Ryan Nall
TE.....Andrews,Niklaus,Gray,Derby,Duarte
WR.....Stills,Parker,Washington,Grant,Trey Quinn,Francis Owusu,Caroo,Ford
OT......Davis,James,Stinnie,Sterup,Young
OC/OG....Pouncey,Norwell,Jenson,Eric Smith,Brendel,Asiata,Steen

DT/DL...Suh,Gnata,Phillips,Godchaux,Taylor
DE.....Wake,Branch,Harris,Sieler,Malveaux
MLB....DeLuca,Chase Anderson
Sam....Raekwon McMillan,Mike Hull,Peter Kalambayi
Will.....Kiko,Anthony,
Safety/OLB hybrid...TJ McDonald,Kyle Quiero,Matthew Thomas
Safety...Jones,Nelson,Smith,Lucas
CB.....Peterson,Talib,McCain,Lippett,Tankersley,McTyre

K...Parker
Punter...Ryan Winslow
Long snapper....Methusalah

wishful thinking I think it's a total Smokescreen no way he last that long.

Last edited:
Just don't see us drafting a QB at 11, but it is fun to speculate.

He wont be there at 11, we won't draft another qb at 11 and no rb at 11 too. No way we trade Laremy cuz we wouldn't get much for him and I think they know the potential he has considering fell in our laps.if we dump anybody it better be Pouncey

I think this is a faulty premise. The team isn't going to execute its free agency and trading period as if it knows it will be taking Baker Mayfield in the draft. Too many unknowns.

They're going to head into free agency with limited resources, trying to fill whatever "must" positions they have on the roster, leaving perhaps one or two positions for the draft where they know they've got to get a contributor.

That's the recipe for taking Baker Mayfield at 11 overall, IF he falls to that pick.

It will be very similar to what happened in 2016 when Laremy Tunsil fell. They made the decision to pull the trigger on Tunsil knowing he was an unplanned for luxury pick, and then had to regroup, come up with a plan for how to fill the "must" positions they'd left open, the most prominent of which was corner. So they traded up to make sure they got Xavien Howard.

I doubt that happens this year but it's conceivable.

I like the thought of moving Suh to end more and more. Signing ngata to take on 2 blockers is a good idea

lmao.....wtf? I guess people have way too much time on their hands and that coming from a guy that works from home

Ozzy rules!!

With tannebaum.....anything could happen this off season. I have feeling this will be a pretty quiet off season for us though.

Im thinking that Landry will get hit with the transition tag but another team will offer him more money than what we are willing to pay. And I'm not sure if we even try to sign another free agent WR other than maybe some obscure bargain WR.

Damn, the stars would have to really align for all that to go down.

I get the feeling the fins don't even want Mayfield & this is just to drive up his value.

Gase seems to me to prefer cerebral, pocket passers.

Actually he seems kinda like Gruden, he loves EVERY QB. ;)

I think this is a faulty premise. The team isn't going to execute its free agency and trading period as if it knows it will be taking Baker Mayfield in the draft. Too many unknowns.

They're going to head into free agency with limited resources, trying to fill whatever "must" positions they have on the roster, leaving perhaps one or two positions for the draft where they know they've got to get a contributor.

That's the recipe for taking Baker Mayfield at 11 overall, IF he falls to that pick.

It will be very similar to what happened in 2016 when Laremy Tunsil fell. They made the decision to pull the trigger on Tunsil knowing he was an unplanned for luxury pick, and then had to regroup, come up with a plan for how to fill the "must" positions they'd left open, the most prominent of which was corner. So they traded up to make sure they got Xavien Howard.

I doubt that happens this year but it's conceivable.
I totally agree, however, I didn't have the time to be that thorough with my imagination. Just threw together some thoughts on a whim to dial up some creative thinking.

I just had to indulge myself and get rid of Tunsil. I do think Tunsil will improve, but he has not been good. PFF classifies him as poor.

I like the thought of moving Suh to end more and more. Signing ngata to take on 2 blockers is a good idea
Ya, I didn't mean an every down thing. Gnata is no longer an every down guy, but ya, I definitely think our defense needs to do some different things this year and not be so predictable.

Back
Top Bottom