Preseason Blunders To Blame | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preseason Blunders To Blame

Avigatorx

Ohana
Club Member
Reaction score
Look, I know we have had alot on our plate with the hurricane, west coast relocation, Jet lag (pun intended), and now facing a trip to London for our first "Home" game, but I think alot of this has been compounded by our flippant regard to the preseason.

I get it, Gase was gunshy after losing Tanny for the year and losing McMillan before he could play a meaningful snap on defense.

I get it, we need Pouncey to anchor this Oline, Gase wants him healthy.

I get it, why risk injury for meaningless games? Well ya know what, they AREN'T meaningless.

Our first two games have shown, this team is out of sync and out of shape.

Playing the starters for a series or two just isnt enough. They need to build chemistry.

Sure, if everyone was returning, if Tanny was healthy, maybe you go easier during preseason, the chemistry is there already, it just needs to be refreshed.

But Pouncey missed significant time, not only during his recovery, but limited practices and limited snaps during preseason. It shows. Our Oline looks like a mess and it is because they arent a unit yet, just five individuals.

Same can be said for Cutler. Look, I get it, he came in late, had to learn the playbook, and yeah, you dont want to lose another QB due to a preseason injury. But DAMN. Those snaps that he didnt take during our preseason games are killing us right now. Had he played more than a token series or two during PS maybe, just maybe, he would have been more polished coming out of PS. He would be more in sync with his receivers.

IMO, if we would have treated preseason games more seriously we would have been far better prepared to start the season, despite the adversity we have been facing due to Irma.

I cannot disagree. And I might add that I'm tired of all the excuses. Jacoby Brissett was traded to the Colts the week before their 1st game and he played a week and a half later and in the two games he played, the Colts have scored 22 points a game while we score a little more than half of it.

People gave Gase a ton of **** for having Tannehill running in practice that ultimately led to him ****ing his knee up again. Now the suggestion is more playing time in the preseason? Do that and see the reaction when an injury occurs.

People gave Gase a ton of **** for having Tannehill running in practice that ultimately led to him ****ing his knee up again. Now the suggestion is more playing time in the preseason? Do that and see the reaction when an injury occurs.

I know, it's like being between a rock and hard place, but football isnt a gentle sport.

I hate to say it, but **** happens. I'd rather go out and try my best to be prepared, than half-ass things and guarantee failure.

I cannot disagree. And I might add that I'm tired of all the excuses. Jacoby Brissett was traded to the Colts the week before their 1st game and he played a week and a half later and in the two games he played, the Colts have scored 22 points a game while we score a little more than half of it.

In Brissett's first game they put up 13 points at home vs. Arizona. He was 20 for 27 for 216 yards with 0 TDs and 1 INT (4 sacks). In his second game at home vs. Cleveland, he fared much better. He was 17 for 24 for 259 yards, 1 pass TD and 2 rush TDs, 0 INTs (3 sacks).

2 home games (what's playing at home like?) vs. average at best teams. I give Brissett credit for being able to do anything though despite his not being with the team long. He's 24 years old and has been under Brady's wing. That counts for a lot vs. a guy like Cutler in his situation.

I know, it's like being between a rock and hard place, but football isnt a gentle sport.

I hate to say it, but **** happens. I'd rather go out and try my best to be prepared, than half-*** things and guarantee failure.

Not only that but also the McMillan injury. Again more folks lambasted Gase for having him on special teams in the preseason. It's a **** show either way.

Miami's problem is bad quarterback play and bad OL play. Until those are fixed Miami will have a average offense.

At this point I'm willing to pull a eagles or rams move and go get a damn qb.

Miami's problem is bad quarterback play and bad OL play. Until those are fixed Miami will have a average offense.

At this point, I would take average. I guess we will see how we respond this week. We all will be looking closely at how our OL and QB perform. Of course, I hope we improve, but I have doubts that we will, so I am sharpening my pitch fork just in case.

P.S. Anyone remember that number of the plane that flies those banners in Miami? ;-)

It's not just that. It's bad play calling also! If you know your offensive line is having a hard time holding on blocks you play chess and slow the defense down by calling play action plays. I'm a high school coach and I could've called a better game vs the Jets than Gase called. Something's up! He seems really passive in his play calling for some reason. The plays they do execute correctly don't seem to be that great of a call either. It's bad out there

The thing is over the last 13 games while the offense hasn't been a world beater it's sucked ass twice. Now in typical finheaven fashion we're throwing out everything we've seen before and just basing everything we're going to see going forward on the Jets game. I'm not saying that's not how it's going to be but it's a tiny sample size. I realize a change at QB is huge but remember the offense looked good with Matt Moore at QB and I think we all agree Cutler is better than Moore or he wouldn't be here. Now to be clear I'm ****ing pissed about the performance vs the Jets. The offensive performance was 100% unacceptable. I'm going to always be harder on the offense, which I made clear last season but got lambasted on here for, for 2 reasons.

1. It's our head coaches side of the ball.
2. I flat out don't think we have the defensive talent to be a great defense.

I'm willing to wait longer to see if it gets ironed out. We had a lot of last minute changes we're dealing with here, more time is needed. I've also got to say what the hell is up with Laremy Tunsil. He was never on a list of concerns for me yet it seems like he's terrible. He's looking a lot more like a guy who smokes pot through a gas mask every night than a guy who was supposedly the best player in last years draft. We potentially expected bad G play but the T play should be solid. Only 1 tackle is holding up there end and he was supposed to be the guy we reached for not the best prospect in the draft like the other guy.

It's not just that. It's bad play calling also! If you know your offensive line is having a hard time holding on blocks you play chess and slow the defense down by calling play action plays. I'm a high school coach and I could've called a better game vs the Jets than Gase called. Something's up! He seems really passive in his play calling for some reason. The plays they do execute correctly don't seem to be that great of a call either. It's bad out there
We can't sit here year after year and blame playcalling when we've had the same core of players year after year. That lame excuse doesn't hold water.

Also he calls plays because the qb is trash, and last years qb wasn't a world beater either.

Hard to argue that the team is out of shape, but I will also add in preseason it looked like they were drinking the cool aid too. Pointing fingers at teammates ,even when the play is still happeing #22. Bad sign for the coaches.

Back
Top Bottom