Price For Production - How Messed Up is Miami's Roster?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Aqua4Ever04, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I realize the title sounds doom-and-gloom, and I don't think that's where Miami is, but my goodness we have some weird contracts on the books.

I went through, position-by-position, and looked at where Miami has all of it's money tied up, and how it compares to the rest of the league.

Spoiler, our roster is oddly constructed.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/price-for-production/

2. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I hold the sentiment that Mike T will cripple the dolphins for his poor spending/trades. Guy just doesn't understand and won't attempt to. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross sided with Gase and got rid of him

3. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I guess he figures that it's not his money so what the hell, but in all seriousness Mike T has to stop overspending and build this roster from the draft while bringing in young reasonably price FAs.

4. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Except we suck at drafting...hence the money spent on Free Agents...

5. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

He touches on it towards the end of the article, alot of the discrepancy you see is due to where our youth is.

The reason our safeties carry a higher salary than our corners is because we have vets at safety, while our starting CBs are on rookie contracts. That is actually a good thing, because as they develop they will garner higher contracts. If Tank and Howard keep improving they will likely command a MUCH higher salary when it comes time to negotiate a new contract.

I have issues with the safety position other than their salary. TJM and Jones are probably worth what they are getting, problem is, I cant stand the interchangeable safety mentality. We need a free safety, not multiple strong safeties.

DL is obvious. We have alot of vets on BIG contracts there. If Goddchauex, Harris and Malvaeux pan out we will be moving in the right direction there, but guys like Suh, Branch, and Wake are gonna need to take pay cuts if we are going to be able to move forward building this team.

Ditto for LB, we have aging vets as stopgap players until we can get our LB core where it needs to be. McMillan is part 1, hopefully we can get part 2 in the draft.

On offense the same is true. We are lucky to have youth at RB and WR, but as we are seeing, some of that youth (Landry) is coming due for a payday. Decision time.

QB is also obvious and already touched on. We paid 3 vet QBs this year...Tanny, Cutler, and Moore. None of them cheap. We need to infuse youth here as well. Fales isnt the guy and neither is Doughty. Sure, we can save money by keeping Doughty as our backup, but I think we all know why this is a bad decision.

TE again, over paid, over the hill vets. They eat up cap space like nobody's business.

Oline is low because we pick up other people's trash and combine it with our own trash to create a completely new kind of trash. That and we have some high picks still on rookie contracts (Although that is about to end with James this year at RT.)

We are a team in transition, hopefully this offseason will start clearing things up for us.

DolfinJohnNY and NBP81 like this.
  6. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Yes, but hopefully Gase will turn this awful trend around. Not drafting well has to become something of the past and I think it will.

7. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

At some positions I think we drafted very well. Some speak for themselves unfortunately.

I think we hit big at RB, first with Ajayi, but also with Drake.

At WR we definitely hit on Landry, but Parker is still a question mark.

So far, we may have hit the motherlode at CB. Howard really turned it up late in the year and I think Tank will continue to progress. These guys should be our boundary corners for years to come.

On the Dline Goddchaux looks promising, Malvauex and Harris could make it great.

We just have big problems drafting O line. This needs to change, or maybe we havent been so inept at finding the talent in the draft, just inept at coaching them up. New oline coach might be all we needed.

8. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Came here to say pretty much this, but you did a much better job than I would have...

Avigatorx likes this.
  9. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

the dolpins have a 7-9 to wildcard roster. all depend on qb play in 2018

10. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

start with paying a DT $120m for 4sacks or less a season. stupid and very messed up.

forgot to mention the 'now gimpy' average-to-marginal qb at $88m.

11. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

The roster is out of whack in terms of financial priorities. Too much money on Suh, Branch, Stills, Kiko, Pouncey. Suh is elite, but for what we pay him, we could get an adequate DT plus half a starting defense. Stills as a good #2 receiver makes average #1 receiver money. Branch, Kiko, and Pouncey are overpaid bums.

gofins60 likes this.
  12. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

13. TarHeelFinFan

Tannehill is paid like an average QB (he is 15th in pay). He is at least an average QB and so his pay is not out of line with what he brings to the team. The only QBs appreciably better than Tannehill that get less than him are on rookie contracts.

14. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

if thill17 getting 17.5 m a yr just to be avg. you cannot be mad at other guy. that want get paid too. we need draft better. every player want get paid. that why they work hard in nfl.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  15. TarHeelFinFan

The point is, the QB position is expensive. For an average veteran QB, Tannehill is actually probably slightly underpaid. It is the advantage of us having signed him to a long-term contract early that also gives us a number of outs. We have other positions that need the resources more than QB right now. Philly won because their OL is ridiculous. Foles wasn't touched by the Pats last night and their RB's averaged 6 yards a carry because they had semi-truck sized holes to run through.

Neither the Pats nor the Eagles pay their QBs in the top 10 of the league (in fact neither did either of the other conference championship game participants did either). The Pats because Brady accepts mediocre pay to allow the franchise to allocate pay to make the team better and Philly because Foles entered the season as a backup (and Wentz is on a rookie contract).

The lesson is that you cannot sink all of your resources into the QB position. You have to build a championship caliber team, and have an affordable QB to run it.

16. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

first I will say this our defense was better without suh. this was waste of signing. tanhill17 one year show me what he got.the roster have hole in it. it not superbowl team but we should be able to make wildcard in 2018. this team is not that bad as people say it is. better coaching by Gase as well.

17. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I don't see a feasible way to complete this roster without some serious cuts. Julius Thomas and Lawrence Timmons are no-brainers and there is a possibility to extend James to a more cap friendly deal than the 5th year option deal. That really all that is likely to happen. Pouncey could be cut but he likely will not. That would only leave us around 23M in cap space. Try to re-sign William Hayes.

Keeping James allows us to move Larsen to RG and insert Davis at LG. It aint sexy but it follows the M.O. of the F.O.....(or MOFO for short). With any luck the new OL coach will want to make the switch for Larsen. Otherwise it's Larsen at LG and Davis at RG as well as continued development for Smith and Asiata.

We have to sign a backup QB and not put ourselves in the same spot as 2017. The FA market for backups in not good. Once you get beyond the guys who will want to start, Fales is probably as good as the usual remaining suspects (not good). Nobody wants that though...Welcome back Matt Moore.

If they can do that, they can concentrate on defense in the top of draft with the exception of adding a TE in the first 4 rounds.

LB may be the same type of non-movement. If Anthony could come in and play WLB, they could put Kiko back in the middle and McMillan at SLB. Use sub-packages to get TJ as a nickle LB if they can draft a FS. This would only be a starting point at LB because they should still draft one who can play 3 downs.

Needs in the draft...

Nickle LB, DT, DE, true FS, TE, OG and possibly WR. That's a tall order with only 8 picks in the draft. We will be in the 2nd and 3rd tier FA market again this year.

18. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Best line in that article.....

19. DolfinJohnNY

DolfinJohnNY Active Member

Ha! My feelings exactly!!!