Pro Football Focus: Xavien Howard Headlines Big Day for Miami Dolphins Secondary

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Dec 5, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

2. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

X balled. Him and Tank need to just keep growing together. Lippett as top boundary backup / throw him in to cover those huge receivers or TEs

spiketex and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I had bobby McCain with the top grade in the game and x 2nd

for the season only 2 plus grades on o juice and Kenny stills

spiketex likes this.
  4. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

So now X doesnt suck because PFF says so...

Lots of us have been saying this all season, but now I'm glad that we have PFF's stamp of approval, lol.

Our secondary can be strong next season, we just need to put these kids in a position to succeed.

outlawd2u and Ray R like this.
  5. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

That's what happens when you play a team that doesn't have a QB and has packed it in for the season (sound familiar?). We were at home, hence our players were going to give the better effort.

If this game was in their house I bet the outcome would have been reversed.

Awsi Dooger likes this.
  6. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

I re-watched the game last night and one player that caught my eye was #75, Cameron Malveaux. I believe he just came off the practice squad. I don't know how many snaps he had and the commentating was so bad that they never really broke down a lot of individual play but on several instances I saw him push the RT right back into the QB. I think he may have drawn one of those holding penalties against the Broncos OL but I cannot be sure. For his first game, I certainly saw his bull rush.

JakeemThe Dream, Dakar001 and Ray R like this.
  7. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

I’m glad Howard had a good game but he wasn’t exactly blanketing receivers. He picked off a really poor pass, one the drew the ire of the announcers. The second was a great play by Phillips tipping the ball because he read the qb’s eyes and timed his jump. Hopefully Howard will gain some confidence and build upon this performance.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  8. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

I actually didn't think that pick six was that terrible a throw. It might have been late but I didn't think it was inaccurate and he made a good break on the ball. You get two picks, you get credit, regardless.

Ray R and Travis34 like this.
  9. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

It was late and behind the receiver. Schlereth pointed out that is was about 2 yards behind which allowed Howard to pick it off. Said the receiver was open but the throw with awful. The replay I saw makes me agree with Schlereth. Regardless he made the play that was there so yes he does deserve credit.

emoticon likes this.
  10. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

HOpefully this success will prove to be cathartic for Howard, instilling a level of confidence he will feed on going forward

11. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

In before that Jerry guy who says Thomas torched him all game but Simien made him look good.

12. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Nice strawman argument.

13. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

He had 2 pass defensed, and only allowed 2 catches for 30 yards. Thomas and Sanders were invisible all day, so regardless of the INTs it would have been a good day for him compared to how he has played all season. Hopefully this gives him confidence going forward, but one game doesn’t make a season. I would like to see him play well against Brady and Smith, to have confidence for next year. Otherwise we need to add another CB in the first 3 rounds again.

Vaark and AZStryker like this.
  14. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Jerry is very knowledgeable....

Jerrysanders likes this.
  15. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

You may be right but I thought he was exaggerating how off it was. Two yards behind looked way off to me but regardless, he made the play on the ball. Keep in mind that Schlereth also opined how productive Kiko Alonso has been this year. I would rate Schlereth slightly above Fouts as an analyst.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

schlereth said a lot of things he shouldn't have...he should stick to what he knows which is trench play

JakeemThe Dream and Phinatic8u like this.
  17. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

He was lockdown all day..Fun to watch.

18. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

2 things:

Thomas hasnt looked like the DT of old... himself as a player and obviously bad QB play (like us)

X has generally been in decent position most of the year. He just hasnt been making a play on the ball for a PBU. He needs to get his head around when the ball is in the air and make a play.

19. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Wether or not the opposing QB is good or not, shouldn’t take away from Howard making that interception. Howard made the play and took advantage of an opportunity that presented itself. That’s all you can ask for from a young player such as Howard. All QB’s make mistakes or bad throws, the difference to me, is the good QB’s make fewer than the bad ones, and in some cases are almost perfect for long stretches. Howard did his job on Sunday, but, it was his coverage that impressed me more than anything else, he basically shut down a top WR.

20. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Good let's lock down the Patsies WR's next. No Gronk will put pressure on the WR's. Also, I think the Pats will look at how many times we hit Brady and Dion Lewis's almost 8 yards a carry and try to pound us. We best be ready.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  21. dnr3131

dnr3131 Well-Known Member

Monday should tell us a little something.

22. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

This I can agree with. X hasn't been getting burnt at all, always been right there but with the lack of ball awareness and pass rush he gives up completions.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  23. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

Really was!! I have and still believe Howard can and should be our #1 CB for awhile. Denver is just another team that shows how bad QB play can ruin a team. Denvers D has studs and they were getting torched and ran over by our Jay Cutler led offense. Drake has really made the Ajayi trade not seem so bad after all. If he can stop fumbling, we might have found a formidable replacement already on the roster. I just want to see some progression especially from the young guys and we def seen it from the guys that needed to show up..Tunsil, Drake, Howard, McCain, Mcdonald, etc..

24. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

^^^^^^This

25. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

He has good route anticipation but his ball awareness needs to improve. He's not the fastest or most athletic corner out there so he needs to get that head around and contest throws into tight windows.

I'm not real worried about the corner situation ... they're young and showing improvement. It's the safeties and LBers that I have me eye on.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  26. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Still waiting on an explanation for how Thomas torched Howard all day.

27. jazz015

jazz015 Well-Known Member

This... color me impressed when X plays that way against a good team. In fact the whole team for that matter.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  28. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Still retorting your straw man argument to make yourself seem credible.... LOL

29. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Thanks guys.

30. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Fantastic summary and situational awareness. That is exactly the type of game in which home field is massive. Once the season is all but finished the home team might not own the energy advantage but with still a month to go it is very common for the home team to summon atypical energy, to briefly overturn a prolonged slump and satisfy the fan base. It is very fortunate we are not playing at Kansas City this week, because you would see the same type of fury from them.

Baylor often played lousy teams and Howard looked like this. That Denver quarterbacking was so inept I found myself not paying much attention when they had the football. <O> provided the Denver quarterback rating. Primarily I was happy that I didn't pay to attend the game. Ticket prices plummeted to my range but I wanted to see a competitive game, and particularly the old logos. Somebody here said they attended the game and were never worried about a Denver rally.

Howard has impressive tenacity but when a young cornerback doesn't have downfield ball awareness it normally remains a weakness.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  31. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Howard has had tight coverage for the most part this season... especially the last 6 or 7 games. PFF was labeling him as one of the worst CB's in the league which was BS.

32. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

An observation - Xavien Howard (2nd round Draft pick), Cordrea Tankersley (3rd round Draft pick), Tony Lippett (5th round Draft pick) and Bobby McCain (5th round Draft pick) as our CBs and Reshad Jones (5th round Draft pick) and TJ McDonald as our core Safeties, we have some pretty good DBs for the future.
    While it is easy to see some of our high draft busts, the Dolphins have got some pretty good value from some of the 5th round picks.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  33. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

The truth is, SH was so bad, he made XH look good. Seriously.

But XH did make some nice plays and I have high hopes for him going forward.

34. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

Xavien had a good game and was good in coverage all day. The picks should help his confidence and hopefully we continue to see him grow and develop.

I like our young corners. McCain also has been playing well.

35. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The pick six was not a good throw but it was not as bad as Schlereth made it out to be. It was on the inside of the WR and should have been on the outside...off by 2-3 feet...which is a lot in the NFL, but Howard made a nice break on the ball and hauled it in. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I dont take picks for granted ever...Ive seen Miami DBs drop a lot of big, "gimme" INTs, especially in the last decade.

I think Howard is a solid CB with the arrow pointing up. Other than DT, I think CB with Howard, Tank, Lippett and dare I say McCain (who has upped his game immensely the last half dozen games) is our strongest corps.

36. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Yea Howard still deserves credit for making a play on the ball.

TheWozz likes this.
  37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

saw more upside in x last year just with less consistent technique...this year its much more consistent technique less upside

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

x almost had another pick on a cover 2 simien stare down his intentions in his drop even he just kept flowing under sitting on the qbs eyes

39. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Last year I didn't see him get beat at the catch point as much, (got exposed by speed demons though)

40. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Another great play from Howard.