Progression or Regression: Dolphins D-line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Progression or Regression: Dolphins D-line

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Are the 2009 Miami Dolphins better than last year's version of the team, which IS presently the AFC East's reigning champs?
That's a question I'm often asked (usually daily). However, I think it can only be answered on paper (toilet paper at that) until the team kicks off the regular season because.... you never know.
All we have to go on right now are clues, and projections. We can look at what was there at each unit last season and analyze the changes made (if any), and the possible improvements coming (younger players get better, old ones usually get worse). But it's impossible to identify if a Chad Pennington is going to fall out of a tree before the exhibition opener, or if an afterthought like Greg Camarillo is going to blossom into a solid starter.
All we can do is project, and that's the goal of this Progression or Regression blog series, which will take a look at one unit (backfield, receivers and tight ends, offensive line, defensive line, linebackers, secondary) every day this week.
To start it off I'm pointing out why I think the defensive line is the unit this regime has dropped the ball with (I understand you can't address everything in one offseason).
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...progression-or-regression-dolphins-dline.html

I disagree with Kelly's assessment. Langford, Merling and Dotson all have a year under theit belts, and we have McDaniel there now to be a swing DL and Jason Taylor can play some DE. I think that we'll be better on the DL.

Terrible article. He didn't even mention Starks - except when listing him as a top reserve.

CK and other have noted how Starks was our best run-stuffing member of the D-line. He'll be the player who fills in for - or plays ahead of - Merling. So, how will that be our position of biggest drop off? I'm concerned about Ferg staying healthy and hoping Soliai gets his act together, but I don't see how you can think we've regressed. Langford and Merling will come in with a year of experience and Starks will come in with a year of experience at DE - last year he was pretty much a rookie at the position.

losing Holiday was HUGE.. I think we should have kept him for one more year, if anything for depth.

I believe the D-line will start slow, not as overpowering, but by mid-season should be far better then last year.

Langford, Merling, Dotson, and Starks are all very young, but also proved last year that they had enough talent to succeed. Langford went as far as starting as a rookie.

I belive Merling will become too good to keep off the starting rotation, and Starks will make it an even tougher decision once Merling does start, but each of the young guns will make this a very tough D-line next to the the old vet Fergie.

Can't wait for the season to get here already. :)

the only regression was losing holliday - which was big. with both our starters having a year under their belt and being more experienced with the system, i don't understand how we could have regressed beyond that.

the only regression was losing holliday - which was big. with both our starters having a year under their belt and being more experienced with the system, i don't understand how we could have regressed beyond that.

He's still out there.. his experience and intelligence was by far worth every penny wer were paying him.. Id love to see us bring him back

Exactly, and it's not like Holiday was awesome last year. He will be missed, a player like that, you do not just replace easily, but with the talent we have, there is a good chance someone is going to step up and make the loss more tolerable, or even outshining what he did for us last year.

He's still out there.. his experience and intelligence was by far worth every penny wer were paying him.. Id love to see us bring him back

me too man. still don't quite understand that release.

Very true, but it was becoming a very expensive luxury, and it seems the big three thought as great as it would to have him here, he was not a crucial part of this season, got to believe (Hope) they know what they are doing. I have a very good feeling about Merling....maybe it's the homer part of me, but I see good things coming from him this year....if not, I have total faith in Starks to make it not as bad as it could be.

His article makes no sense....ok, we cut Holiday IMO he is more of a veternal leadership loss than actually making plays. He points out how the line didnt provide much of a passrush last yr....it's a 3-4 defense! Their job is to eat up blockers, not sack the QB.

We added McDaniels, so someone had to go. His idea that maybe McDaniels could fill in at nose couldn't be farther from the truth. NOBODY that is as tall as he is can play the nose bc they can't get the leverage.

Nevermind that he ignored the fact that our rooks now have a full NFL season under them. He says that the FO has neglected the D-line....but in 2 yrs we have brought in Starks and Cohen. Not to mention spent 4 draft picks on the line.

More crap during the crappy part of the offseason.

I agree with the assessment, but I don't think we will regress because I think we have the personnel that are currently 2nd stringers which will step up. Merling doesn't have me convinced he can be a starter yet, if ever. But, I think Starks is good enough. If Merling can't handle it, I expect to see Starks' role expanded. Also, we really don't know what we have in McDaniels...

Omar Kelly: "That's a question I'm often asked (usually daily). However, I think it can only be answered on paper (toilet paper at that) until the team kicks off the regular season because.... you never know."

The last Omar article I read he mentioned poop, now he's finally on to toilet paper.... Besides that, why anyone would ask this utter moron his opinion about anything more complicated than a box of rocks is a mystery.

Holidays subtraction and the addition of experience of last years rookies offset each other. If Jason Fersuson stays healthy then we are OK but if he goes down it is really up in the air. Put it this way we knew what Holiday brought to the table with the 2nd year rookies doubful that they will regress and there is a good chance that they will progress from last year. Paul Soliai and T McDaniels are 2 guys whom are very talented but just have to stay healthy and could surprise big time. Del Rio really like T McDaniels and his potential it was the health issue that led to him being traded.

If we have a strong line then Ferg will get his chances to rest but if not he chances of making the entire season healthly get much slimmer. The phins stafff made the right calls last year and you can beleive that they liked the upside before they gave Holiday the ultimatium of taking less or moving on.

Back
Top Bottom