Providence Journal suggests Tom Brady has entered his "decline" phase | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Providence Journal suggests Tom Brady has entered his "decline" phase

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
Tom Brady - QB - Patriots

The Providence Journal suggests that Tom Brady has entered his decline phase going on age 36.

The only noticeable decline in games has been Brady's downfield passing ability, but there are stats that support this notion. Brady's 2012 completion rate was his lowest since 2006, and his YPA was his worst since 2008. In December, Brady completed only 58.5 percent with a 7.0 YPA and five interceptions. The Providence Journal suggests "reducing Brady's workload" -- lessening his pass attempts while leaning more on Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen.

rotoworld.com

I posted a similar thread about this a few days ago. I said Brady and Manning are both coming to an end so we have to nail this offseason so we can be prepared for the next decade when they are both gone. People on here thought I was on drugs. No way Tom Brady is in his decline! He will play at a high level until he is in his mid 40's! Thats what you all said. And now beat writers close to the situation see it as well. He is in the decline phase of his career. And think about this. Joe Flacco went into Denver and beat Peyton Manning. He also went into New England and beat Tom Brady. No, not in regular season games, but in back to back playoff games. Would this have happened maybe 4-5 years ago? Both are on the decline.

I am not turning this into a Mark sanchez thread, I get it he was awful this year but 2 years ago mark Sanchez went into Indy and beat Peyton and the Colts then went into NE and beat Brady and the Pats in back to back playoff games so maybe not 4-5 years ago but 2 years ago.

Brady is getting older(obviously) and he is starting to decline but he's still a top 2-3 QB every year and should be for at least the next 3-5 years unfortunately.

I disagree, that's just sports writers doing what they do, recycle old, tired, cliches so it sounds like they know what they get paid to write about.

The problem with the Pats, is that Brady is a superstar, and it looks like the rest of the team just doesn't try as hard as he does. Maybe there is a 'schism' in the locker room. :chuckle:

He makes the throws, not like Marino in his decline. The ball has velocity and is very accurate, the WR's just don't make the clutch plays. Welker dropped a couple of passes that would have made the difference in that game. All year long their other WR, Lloyd has been almost 50/50% with his catches and drops as well.

Unfortunate is right! Hopefully, he digresses quickly or better yet has had enough and decides to retire early. That would be my ideal dream!

He doesn't throw picks still, so that sucks for us. Kurt Warner was a stud til the day he retired, so if Brady can play at a high level even as he gets older i wouldn't be surprised

He was a different QB with Gronk in the line up. Without him he had Hernandez and his RBs to throw to and an overrated Welker and a crappy Lloyd. The offensive talent just wasn't there this year. I am more worried that the Patriots will reload with skill position talent this year and he will be back to the best QB in the league.

He's in decline all right-- 63% completion percentage, 4827 yards, 34 touchdowns to 8 interceptions, and a 98.7 QB rating.

Sure wish a Dolphins QB could decline like that.

he's missing more things than he ever used to...i totally agree his play is showing signs...but they're small ones...

in 2 years we'll have the best qb in the division...yeah i said it...

Lebatard suggested this last season, brady can't drop the dimes he once used to as consistently, but thats just a testament to how good he is

"Dwade is declining" doesn't mean he's not good anymore, still can be a top 10 player while considering a decline

Usually taken in the wrong context when people say decline

he's missing more things than he ever used to...i totally agree his play is showing signs...but they're small ones...

in 2 years we'll have the best qb in the division...yeah i said it...

The question is what is causing it? Is it age or something else, I remember scoffing at the notion of Manning's arm strength becoming an issue and guys like Jaws were piling that on by watching film while guys like Edwards laughed at the notion...............blam the neck gave out and everyone thought he was done.

So my question is it age or something else taking its toll.....if it is an underlying issue Brady could be done sooner rather than later. If it is just father time, he has some good years left in him.

Bardy may be on a decline but he is still elite and probably will be until he retires considering how great his o-line is.

imo it's father time...and it waits for no one...he may have some underlying shoulder or arm issue that is flaring up i know he's on the injury reports every week these days for something...just all that contact and use catching up...

he never used to bounce throws and be errant accuracy wise on guys wide open...and we are seeing more and more of that...as far as his football mind and decision making there is no drop off...he still sees the game like a maestro...it's a physical thing...

at the same time though it's not enough yet for us to get excited about...he's not gonna just fall off the table...what likely will happen is he'll start to get hurt more and miss time...more nagging stuff that limits him...

Time catches up to everyone. Of course he is declining as he enters his mid 30s. It's just natural. Still a great, great player and I think he will continue to be an all pro player for at least 2 or 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom