QB Lamar Jackson in Round 1 ?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ColoradoFin, Nov 28, 2017.

1. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Active Member

I was reading a 2018 NFL mock draft from a site called Draft Tek, and the Dolphin’s analyst made a pretty good case and summary for JACKSON (below)....looks like we would be picking around the 8th pick at this time. Jackson is not having as good a year as last year, but you could argue that he would bring more skills to the table than any QB we have had since Marino.

The NFL is transitioning away from pocket passers, and the guys who stand there in the pocket like Brady, Roethlisberger, etc., will soon become relics. You need guys who can run like Russell Wilson, Rodgers, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz., etc., so why not roll the dice on Jackson if he’s available? He can be groomed behind Tannehill, and bulk up a little, and work on his throws.

What do you guys think?

SUMMARY:

Lamar Jackson
    Louisville
    QB
    Reach/Value: -25 Height:
    6'2"
    Weight:

Miami's offense can't run or pass, therefore they need to maximize this selection and find someone who excels at both. Fortunately for the Fins there is a dynamic playmaker available who fits their needs. The hype surrounding Lamar Jackson has subsided since last year's Heisman, yet he continues to account for 3 to 4 TDs per game. Any player that consistently scores 21 points on their own can surely help Miami's struggling offense. Critics have been harsh towards Jackson's passing ability even though the game tape shows improved mechanics and special explosiveness that coaches can only dream of. Lamar may need some time on the job to master his reads, but most rookie QBs do. One thing is certain, Mr. Jackson possesses more talent than every QB to take a snap for the Dolphins since Dan Marino. ~CME, Dolphins Analyst

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Not sure what to think of Jackson. On the one hand, he's the most exciting athlete at the position. But, he does struggle with accuracy somewhat and I wonder how he will progress with tighter windows to throw in at the NFL level.

Is he a slightly better version of Kaepernick, or can he be more than that?

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  3. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

4. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

We might be picking top 5 lol

5. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

we keep trying to draft positional players and it is not working out, draft Jackson if available.

6. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

He may well be the best player available when we draft. Do it, though I would prefer Mayfield.

7. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry Well-Known Member

I would take Mayfield if he were there on our second. He will sure be gone and he's worth it but unless we trade down twice and get 2 seconds and we are now picking in the twenties, I wouldn't straight up pick him with our pick. We just can't afford to.

8. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Lamar Jackson isn't worth a first sorry guys. Nothing higher then a 3rd

AZStryker likes this.
  9. Farmer

Farmer ROLL!

That dude is gonna get hurt over and over in the NFL playing Q. I want a Q that has some meat on his bones, that wont pull an rg3 everytime hes hit.

Stoobz likes this.
  10. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Please, no.

11. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I’ll be shocked if Jackson weighs 205 at the combine. I’d bet he’s around 185. But if he is indeed 6’2” 205 sign me up. Especially if he can sit a year or so behind Tannehill.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I mean, the thing that matters the most is whether Jackson can see the field from inside the pocket, feel pressure, throw the football accurately and with timing, and operate the offense.

I don't like his frame or willingness to take contact but you only even get to the dangers associated with those things if he is good from the pocket and can survive as an NFL quarterback, which I actually think he can.

Being a multi-threat isn't a bad thing. It's a good thing. Ask any defensive player or coach about that.

I'd draft him in the 2nd round. If I was desperate I may even E.J. Manuel or Christian Ponder him (take him in the 1st round knowing he's a 2nd round player, because you're just that desperate for a QB and know you'll never win if you don't take some chances).

13. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

185? He weighed in at 206 lbs this offseason, mostly his lower body, and he looks it...one report said 212. He definitely won't lose weight for the combine, if anything he'll bulk up to prepare for the pros, especially his upper body.

djphinfan likes this.
  14. Birdmond

Not trying to argue but who claims he weighed 205? University’s lie about size all the time.

15. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

you think they added 20-25 phantom lbs? Look at him this season, he doesn't look 185.

16. Birdmond

I hope you are correct but it happens more than you think.

17. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This team does not have the luxury of wasting a first round pick on a prospect. If he is not worthy of a first round pick, which I firmly believe he is not, then don't draft him there. There are plenty of other players to choose from to not have to waste a pick hoping that he develops into something.

18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I said "If I was desperate".

Miami is not desperate at that position.

There are several teams that are, or should be.