QB Lamar Jackson in Round 1 ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Lamar Jackson in Round 1 ?

ColoradoFin

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was reading a 2018 NFL mock draft from a site called Draft Tek, and the Dolphin’s analyst made a pretty good case and summary for JACKSON (below)....looks like we would be picking around the 8th pick at this time. Jackson is not having as good a year as last year, but you could argue that he would bring more skills to the table than any QB we have had since Marino.

The NFL is transitioning away from pocket passers, and the guys who stand there in the pocket like Brady, Roethlisberger, etc., will soon become relics. You need guys who can run like Russell Wilson, Rodgers, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz., etc., so why not roll the dice on Jackson if he’s available? He can be groomed behind Tannehill, and bulk up a little, and work on his throws.

What do you guys think?

SUMMARY:

Lamar Jackson
Louisville
QB
Reach/Value: -25 Height:
6'2"
Weight:

Miami's offense can't run or pass, therefore they need to maximize this selection and find someone who excels at both. Fortunately for the Fins there is a dynamic playmaker available who fits their needs. The hype surrounding Lamar Jackson has subsided since last year's Heisman, yet he continues to account for 3 to 4 TDs per game. Any player that consistently scores 21 points on their own can surely help Miami's struggling offense. Critics have been harsh towards Jackson's passing ability even though the game tape shows improved mechanics and special explosiveness that coaches can only dream of. Lamar may need some time on the job to master his reads, but most rookie QBs do. One thing is certain, Mr. Jackson possesses more talent than every QB to take a snap for the Dolphins since Dan Marino. ~CME, Dolphins Analyst

Last edited:
Not sure what to think of Jackson. On the one hand, he's the most exciting athlete at the position. But, he does struggle with accuracy somewhat and I wonder how he will progress with tighter windows to throw in at the NFL level.

Is he a slightly better version of Kaepernick, or can he be more than that?

I think he’s gonna run sub 4.5 and as a result assuming he is 6 foot 2 or plus and 215 he’s gonna go top 5

It’s pretty simple

We might be picking top 5 lol

we keep trying to draft positional players and it is not working out, draft Jackson if available.

I would take Mayfield if he were there on our second. He will sure be gone and he's worth it but unless we trade down twice and get 2 seconds and we are now picking in the twenties, I wouldn't straight up pick him with our pick. We just can't afford to.

That dude is gonna get hurt over and over in the NFL playing Q. I want a Q that has some meat on his bones, that wont pull an rg3 everytime hes hit.

I’ll be shocked if Jackson weighs 205 at the combine. I’d bet he’s around 185. But if he is indeed 6’2” 205 sign me up. Especially if he can sit a year or so behind Tannehill.

I mean, the thing that matters the most is whether Jackson can see the field from inside the pocket, feel pressure, throw the football accurately and with timing, and operate the offense.

I don't like his frame or willingness to take contact but you only even get to the dangers associated with those things if he is good from the pocket and can survive as an NFL quarterback, which I actually think he can.

Being a multi-threat isn't a bad thing. It's a good thing. Ask any defensive player or coach about that.

I'd draft him in the 2nd round. If I was desperate I may even E.J. Manuel or Christian Ponder him (take him in the 1st round knowing he's a 2nd round player, because you're just that desperate for a QB and know you'll never win if you don't take some chances).

I’ll be shocked if Jackson weighs 205 at the combine. I’d bet he’s around 185. But if he is indeed 6’2” 205 sign me up. Especially if he can sit a year or so behind Tannehill.

185? He weighed in at 206 lbs this offseason, mostly his lower body, and he looks it...one report said 212. He definitely won't lose weight for the combine, if anything he'll bulk up to prepare for the pros, especially his upper body.

Not trying to argue but who claims he weighed 205? University’s lie about size all the time.

Not trying to argue but who claims he weighed 205? University’s lie about size all the time.

you think they added 20-25 phantom lbs? Look at him this season, he doesn't look 185.

Back
Top Bottom