QB position. Good news, bad news kinda thing

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Canuck, May 22, 2007.

1. Canuck

Canuck Starter

The Good news....with every passing day that Miami awaits Trent Green, Daunte gets healthier and healthier. That onto itself means little as we've been down this road before. Yet, even if Daunte should never play a down for the organization again, he's looking more and more like the Daunte of old in for other teams to take notice. Look at St.Louis, Daunte is but 3 months older than incumbant Marc Bulger, has had his best seasons with Linehan and Bulger has yet to re-up with the team. Hmmm? Perhaps a trading partner in the making?

The Bad news.....is that Trent Green would be an ideal mentor to the future of the Miami QB'ing position.....John Beck. Therefore, Trent needs to be here no later than late July, the start of TC....and preferably sooner....in order to lead the offense and begin his tutledge of Beck.

The Present Reality..... is we go into the season with Daunte/Lemon starting, the other backing up (Daunte would likely not care for that too much...understatement of the year) and Beck being the 3rd QB. His practice progress and the teams record would then determine his assention into the #2 spot or even the starting job by late season.

The wild card in this is Marty Booker. He's not in Cam's longterm plans given his lack of top knotch speed and his age. He has a younger-cheaper-faster version of himself already on the team (Hagan) and has already been dangled as trade bait. He's not happy. KC could use a receiver like him to work opposite Kennison for likely his last year as the groom Bowe. Sammy Parker, IMO, has shown little to warrant starting in this league and since King Carl was after another WR of ours in trade for Trent (Chambers), perhaps he'll come to the conclusion that Marty....not Chris....is the Miami WR who's value is more in line with Trent's. If/when both parties come to that conclusion.....we can begin the Trent Green days in Miami.....

2. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

Be patient, training camp is a long ways away .... its a bonus, but we don't need him here before then.

Of course, the earlier he is here, the better ... conversely, the longer we wait the more the price goes down. Clearly a risk, but a worthwhile one.

3. bigmiamifan

bigmiamifan Perennial All-Pro

Trent knows the offense. So only timing with the receivers would be an issue.

4. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

Yes and so does Lemon and Cpep...what's the big deal ?? Yes, Green has history with Shea and Cam and might be a good fit here. Cpep has operated in this base offense his entire pro career. (Yes, that's right, Linehan ran a version of the Luckman/Coryell/Turner offense.) Lemon has operated in this system most of his career as well. They all need to just resolve the timing issue...

There is so much being made of this Green saga that it's getting really old. If Cam-Mule was so worried that Cpep couldn't do the job or wasn't going to be physically ready, don't you think they'd have pulled the trigger by now ?? What's not being said by Cam-Mule speaks a lot louder than what is being said by anyone else...

5. nikeair497

nikeair497 Banned Hammered

People still have this misconception that when you worked with someone b4 mean "you know the offenses"

I can pretty much gurantee his offensive plays and calling are not exactly what he had when they were together in the past. He will have to learn; besides, do you think that every team has entirely different plays? No sorry to burst your bubbles. Every team has the same plays in their playbook, they just choose when to use them differently and what ones they will use more of... and they have a different play call for it.. that is all. The plays themselves are the same.

6. zonk4ever

zonk4ever A True Fan

Based on Mueller's track record, it's hard to imagine him giving up a perceived "healthy" Culpepper for nothing. If he squeezed out draft picks for Mare and Donnie Jones, why not CPEP? Besides, are we really better off with a healthy Green, versus a healthy Culpepper? I know Culpepper has his detractors and I'm not on his bandwagon, but Cam is a quarterback Guru. There's enough to work with for Cam to coach him up!

7. Virginia54

Virginia54 Member

How do you know he's looking like the Duante of old? He's wearing a t-shirt out there! He looked good last year at this time too. It doesn't mean squat what he looks like right now. Wait till the pads go on and he's getting blitzed. i for one, will hold my judgement until then.

8. VT Dolphan

VT Dolphan Pro Bowler

Booker is the best receiver on the team right now...maybe not the most talented, but the most productive. Trading him straight up for Trent Green as you implied would be a bad move. I'd rather give up a late draft pick than Booker, and if the Chiefs want more than that, well screw em.

9. rick32883

rick32883 Starter

we don't need him that early???? ... we dont need him at all!!!!!!

10. Tigers2003

Tigers2003 FinHeaven VIP

The FO is giving C-Pep the time to heal and get back to health so that he has a shot to have a good camp and play - and be showcased for a trade. IMHO healthy C-Pep is the best shot over a Green or a most probably not quit ready for prime time Beck. However, C-Pep IN THE EYES OF THIS FO, like or not and better or for worse, is not the best long term option.

11. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

If that's the case, the Culpepper saga must be getting ancient by now......

PHINZ RULE!!!

12. colmax

colmax Seasoned Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, Trent said almost verbatim that he's "no 'mentor' for a younger QB. He's there to win ballgames, etc."

13. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

Linehan mixed offensive styles, but as much as I saw on games and as few as I've followed Vikings, he handled a WCO during his days at Minnesota.:confused:

14. AirMarino72

AirMarino72 Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

15. Silverphin

Silverphin Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

Randy Mueller, is that you? :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like something Randy was thinking during the negotiations.

16. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

I'm not a NFL offensive coordinator, but my poor knowledge of the game allows me to consider that an offensive system is based on philosophy, development of skills, priorities, timing and language.
    When a system is adopted by a team, the first three components are very hard to transfer. When a guy knowing the system gets in, the timing can be developed among a month or so, the language will need just a little adaptation phase, but while priorities keep the same, skills are the desired ones, and philosophy is well owned, the player can start far sooner and less erratic than a guy still getting in the system.

17. p-double

p-double Starter

i agree, i just don't see green as helping us much, let's see if c-pep can go first

18. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I agree, though I'm having a difficult time of it. After last year's injury drama and poor play, it's tough to just wipe the slate clean.

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The bad thing is that is the only thing that Green supporters can push. No matter how crappy he is he has played in this offense. Lemon should know Cam's offense as well as anybody, so why is Green so important?

20. PyroDOLFAN

PyroDOLFAN Seasoned Veteran Donator

Good news = We have quarterbacks to play

Bad news = We don't have any quarterbacks that can play

21. cellman007

cellman007 Starter

Funny how upset you get when people bash Culpepper for his recent play, but yet you throw around the same kinda garbage to make your point with Green, not taking into concideration his entire career which has been very solid and far from "crappy", but yet that's the exact logic you use to defend Culpepper to the "haters" is his entire career and not just post injury, your bias is so extreme it's impossible to take you seriously.

22. Canuck

Canuck Starter

I don't. I did see video of him rolling out after getting back under center 3 weeks earlier than expected. I also read of first hand accounts as to his mobility returning. But, like you by the sounds of it, I am not holding my breath. I am however, cautiously optimistic that Daunte will prove healthier than last year and close to the Daunte of old. Then his trade value increases as I don't see this organization allowing him the chance to be the "guy". The "guy", IMO, will be Trent Green/John Beck for the forseeable future.

23. BSQX4

BSQX4 A True Fan

Culpepper and Green are both Pro Bowl QBs when healthy. Right now Green is coming off an injury and so is DC. As a Dolphin fan we want the best guy at QB when the games are for real in Sep. That's at least a few months down the road so what appears to be a hazy and confusing QB situation at the moment will certainly be clarified over the next 60-90 days which is plenty of time for the offense to be primed and ready. My gut feeling is that Cam doesn't feel like Culpepper is his kind of guy which is why we are going after Green. I loved it when DC became a Dolphin but I just don't know about the rehab and how his health will turn out. Nobody knows that and last year the whole DC thing blew up in our faces. Maybe we're dragging our feet on the Green thing to get a better reading on where DC is healthwise. It would be awesome to have an explosive, fully healthy Culpepper firing passes for my favorite team but can we count on that at this stage? I think not so we need to hedge our bet. That's where Green comes in and I think that both QBs will be on the team for a while fighting for the starting job. Let the winner start and if it's Green then it's time to trade DC and simply move on without him.

24. 23EmilioVasquez

23EmilioVasquez Seasoned Veteran

I dont want trent green any more daunte is looking good again

25. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

if we spend anything more than a #6 for a one year band-aid, i'll be pissed.

lets just forget green, have culpepper run the show for a year, and hope he plays well enough that we can get a draft pick for him next offseason.

26. sportssaga

sportssaga Just got to hate those "Pats &am

The only reason DC is still here, is that he is our leverage on the Green deal. The more he is healthy the more the price of Green goes down.

Plain and simple !

27. peppershaker

peppershaker Active Member

When are we going to realize that we have a veteran quarterback and that he ain't in KC looking for a "gimme job". CP welcomes competition and Trent green is running from it!

28. JER54

JER54 Well-Known Member

that is so lame, Greene welcomes the challenge, when are our head coach and our so called GM going to realize that who ever they draft in the fourth round next year would never be able to compete with Trent Greene.This is why we will never get in the playoffs until we have a GM that realizes u have to pay the price to get great players.Why do u think New England wins .Think about it.

29. JER54

JER54 Well-Known Member

How can u say that Culpepper looks great, anyone can look good in shorts and t-shirt

30. peppershaker

peppershaker Active Member

Exactly! We paid the price to get a great player and now we want to exchange him for a guy that is afraid of "weighted competition".

31. cellman007

cellman007 Starter

Daunte is that you???

32. Xeticus

Xeticus Starter

:yeahthat:

We have serviceable Qb's in Daunte and Cleo. if things get bad we can put Beck to work early. Why are we giving up a draft pick for green? Our defense is aging and I think we're going to need those picks to look towards the future.

33. jdang307

jdang307 FinHeaven VIP

Since Booker has joined the Phins:

MB - 2071 yards, 10 TDs. (690 yards, 3.3 TD average)
    CC - 2693 yards, 22 TDs. (897 yards, 7.3 TD average)

I wholeheartedly agree, booker is much more productive.

34. VT Dolphan

VT Dolphan Pro Bowler

Alright, you got me. It just doesn't seem that way. Probably because Chambers should be putting up twice the numbers he is right now.

35. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

???

"looking good" again??? doing what exactly? walking?? wearing a t-shirt???

36. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

I wouldn't trade Booker and a pick for Trent Green. We should not throw away players for a guy that has 2 years remaining in the tank at best. I would love it if the team acquired Green at a fair price but I would only throw in Booker if they threw in a pick. I say we stick to trading a 6th for Green or waiting until he is released. We could trade Booker for 5th or possibly a 4th to another team.

37. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

Trent Green is no longer a great player. We should not give up a 4th rd pick to a guy who says he will play for a team next year and a guy in whom no other team has shown interest. We can wait until Green gets cut or trade a 6th for him. I would love to see the team acquire Green but he is no longer a great player.