QB position. Good news, bad news kinda thing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB position. Good news, bad news kinda thing

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
The Good news....with every passing day that Miami awaits Trent Green, Daunte gets healthier and healthier. That onto itself means little as we've been down this road before. Yet, even if Daunte should never play a down for the organization again, he's looking more and more like the Daunte of old in for other teams to take notice. Look at St.Louis, Daunte is but 3 months older than incumbant Marc Bulger, has had his best seasons with Linehan and Bulger has yet to re-up with the team. Hmmm? Perhaps a trading partner in the making?

The Bad news.....is that Trent Green would be an ideal mentor to the future of the Miami QB'ing position.....John Beck. Therefore, Trent needs to be here no later than late July, the start of TC....and preferably sooner....in order to lead the offense and begin his tutledge of Beck.

The Present Reality..... is we go into the season with Daunte/Lemon starting, the other backing up (Daunte would likely not care for that too much...understatement of the year) and Beck being the 3rd QB. His practice progress and the teams record would then determine his assention into the #2 spot or even the starting job by late season.

The wild card in this is Marty Booker. He's not in Cam's longterm plans given his lack of top knotch speed and his age. He has a younger-cheaper-faster version of himself already on the team (Hagan) and has already been dangled as trade bait. He's not happy. KC could use a receiver like him to work opposite Kennison for likely his last year as the groom Bowe. Sammy Parker, IMO, has shown little to warrant starting in this league and since King Carl was after another WR of ours in trade for Trent (Chambers), perhaps he'll come to the conclusion that Marty....not Chris....is the Miami WR who's value is more in line with Trent's. If/when both parties come to that conclusion.....we can begin the Trent Green days in Miami.....

Be patient, training camp is a long ways away .... its a bonus, but we don't need him here before then.

Of course, the earlier he is here, the better ... conversely, the longer we wait the more the price goes down. Clearly a risk, but a worthwhile one.

Trent knows the offense. So only timing with the receivers would be an issue.

Yes and so does Lemon and Cpep...what's the big deal ?? Yes, Green has history with Shea and Cam and might be a good fit here. Cpep has operated in this base offense his entire pro career. (Yes, that's right, Linehan ran a version of the Luckman/Coryell/Turner offense.) Lemon has operated in this system most of his career as well. They all need to just resolve the timing issue...

There is so much being made of this Green saga that it's getting really old. If Cam-Mule was so worried that Cpep couldn't do the job or wasn't going to be physically ready, don't you think they'd have pulled the trigger by now ?? What's not being said by Cam-Mule speaks a lot louder than what is being said by anyone else...

People still have this misconception that when you worked with someone b4 mean "you know the offenses"

I can pretty much gurantee his offensive plays and calling are not exactly what he had when they were together in the past. He will have to learn; besides, do you think that every team has entirely different plays? No sorry to burst your bubbles. Every team has the same plays in their playbook, they just choose when to use them differently and what ones they will use more of... and they have a different play call for it.. that is all. The plays themselves are the same.

Based on Mueller's track record, it's hard to imagine him giving up a perceived "healthy" Culpepper for nothing. If he squeezed out draft picks for Mare and Donnie Jones, why not CPEP? Besides, are we really better off with a healthy Green, versus a healthy Culpepper? I know Culpepper has his detractors and I'm not on his bandwagon, but Cam is a quarterback Guru. There's enough to work with for Cam to coach him up!

The Good news....with every passing day that Miami awaits Trent Green, Daunte gets healthier and healthier. That onto itself means little as we've been down this road before. Yet, even if Daunte should never play a down for the organization again, he's looking more and more like the Daunte of old in for other teams to take notice. Look at St.Louis, Daunte is but 3 months older than incumbant Marc Bulger, has had his best seasons with Linehan and Bulger has yet to re-up with the team. Hmmm? Perhaps a trading partner in the making?

The Bad news.....is that Trent Green would be an ideal mentor to the future of the Miami QB'ing position.....John Beck. Therefore, Trent needs to be here no later than late July, the start of TC....and preferably sooner....in order to lead the offense and begin his tutledge of Beck.

The Present Reality..... is we go into the season with Daunte/Lemon starting, the other backing up (Daunte would likely not care for that too much...understatement of the year) and Beck being the 3rd QB. His practice progress and the teams record would then determine his assention into the #2 spot or even the starting job by late season.

The wild card in this is Marty Booker. He's not in Cam's longterm plans given his lack of top knotch speed and his age. He has a younger-cheaper-faster version of himself already on the team (Hagan) and has already been dangled as trade bait. He's not happy. KC could use a receiver like him to work opposite Kennison for likely his last year as the groom Bowe. Sammy Parker, IMO, has shown little to warrant starting in this league and since King Carl was after another WR of ours in trade for Trent (Chambers), perhaps he'll come to the conclusion that Marty....not Chris....is the Miami WR who's value is more in line with Trent's. If/when both parties come to that conclusion.....we can begin the Trent Green days in Miami.....

How do you know he's looking like the Duante of old? He's wearing a t-shirt out there! He looked good last year at this time too. It doesn't mean squat what he looks like right now. Wait till the pads go on and he's getting blitzed. i for one, will hold my judgement until then.

Booker is the best receiver on the team right now...maybe not the most talented, but the most productive. Trading him straight up for Trent Green as you implied would be a bad move. I'd rather give up a late draft pick than Booker, and if the Chiefs want more than that, well screw em.

Be patient, training camp is a long ways away .... its a bonus, but we don't need him here before then.

Of course, the earlier he is here, the better ... conversely, the longer we wait the more the price goes down. Clearly a risk, but a worthwhile one.

we don't need him that early???? ... we dont need him at all!!!!!!

Based on Mueller's track record, it's hard to imagine him giving up a perceived "healthy" Culpepper for nothing. If he squeezed out draft picks for Mare and Donnie Jones, why not CPEP? Besides, are we really better off with a healthy Green, versus a healthy Culpepper? I know Culpepper has his detractors and I'm not on his bandwagon, but Cam is a quarterback Guru. There's enough to work with for Cam to coach him up!

The FO is giving C-Pep the time to heal and get back to health so that he has a shot to have a good camp and play - and be showcased for a trade. IMHO healthy C-Pep is the best shot over a Green or a most probably not quit ready for prime time Beck. However, C-Pep IN THE EYES OF THIS FO, like or not and better or for worse, is not the best long term option.

If I'm not mistaken, Trent said almost verbatim that he's "no 'mentor' for a younger QB. He's there to win ballgames, etc."

Yes and so does Lemon and Cpep...what's the big deal ?? Yes, Green has history with Shea and Cam and might be a good fit here. Cpep has operated in this base offense his entire pro career. (Yes, that's right, Linehan ran a version of the Luckman/Coryell/Turner offense.) Lemon has operated in this system most of his career as well. They all need to just resolve the timing issue...

There is so much being made of this Green saga that it's getting really old. If Cam-Mule was so worried that Cpep couldn't do the job or wasn't going to be physically ready, don't you think they'd have pulled the trigger by now ?? What's not being said by Cam-Mule speaks a lot louder than what is being said by anyone else...
Linehan mixed offensive styles, but as much as I saw on games and as few as I've followed Vikings, he handled a WCO during his days at Minnesota.:confused:

Booker is the best receiver on the team right now...maybe not the most talented, but the most productive. Trading him straight up for Trent Green as you implied would be a bad move. I'd rather give up a late draft pick than Booker, and if the Chiefs want more than that, well screw em.
:yeahthat:

Randy Mueller, is that you? :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like something Randy was thinking during the negotiations.

Back
Top Bottom