QB, RB & Pass Rusher?????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB, RB & Pass Rusher??????

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
The 3 main spots needed to be filled through FA/trade are the before mentioned QB, RB and a pass rusher.

We need a QB to challenge and possibly unseat Henne as the teams starter.

We need a RB and rumour is they want a change of pace guy to compliment the power running of Daniel Thomas. Im not buying it. When Daboll was in Cleveland he had Jerome Harrison who at the time was considered to be on the cusp of 'breaking out' with a similar style to Jamaal Charles. Next season Hillis was brought in and Harrison traded for another RB/FB in Mike Bell.

IMO a pass rusher is must. We need someone to compliment Wake on 3rd downs but also as cover if Wake is injured.

Which 3 would you sign?

I would go:-

Kyle Orton....Daboll wants a 'smart accurate QB, with pocket presence'. Orton fits the bill better than any other QB available.

Ronnie Brown....He is coming off a full season and another year remove from serious injury. I also believe he wants to stay in Miami and a preferable deal could be arranged. Also he again fits what Daboll likes.....'a power runner with good hands'. Of all the FA available I do not believe there is a better back who fits this mould.

Manny Lawson....Nolan had him while HC of 49ers and so far he has not fulfilled his potential but PFF has him as one of the best pass-rushers with consistant pressure without the sack stats to boot. Considering how bad the 49ers secondary has been over the last few years this could account for the low sack count but the fact Lawson has been playing all 3 downs, IMO with his ability to also cover TE's he would be perfect used in rotation with Koa Misi and as depth behind Cam Wake.

Again who would your 3 be??????

I keep hearing how the Phins need pass rushers. How many teams in the NFL have more 'pass rushers' than the Phins? I can only think of 2 or 3. We still have a young defense with guys like Misi and Odrick whose best days are ahead of them. Dansby is also a good inside blitzer and Starks is a pretty good rusher from the DE position.
How many teams in the AFC East have better pass rushers than the Phins? NONE
The Jets generate pressure by scheme, not by great individual pas rushers. The Pats have Banta-Cain, who couldn't start for the Phns, and perhaps 2nd tier guys like Ninkovich.

i loved manny lawson coming out in the draft a few years ago. he could give u some flexibility with our LBs. I agree with orton and ronnie brown. i wouldt give up more than a 3rd for orton though.

Yeah, I have to agree with your overall appraisel OP. However, I would much prefer a change of pace back in the style of Sproles or Reggie Bush to compliment Thomas. Although I am by no means against us resigning Ronnie as long as he takes a considerable pay cut.

Also, anything more than a 3rd for Orton would be a bit rich for my blood.

Misi is going into his 2nd year, bringing in someone that hasn't ' fulfilled ' his potential is stupid to be nice about it. You after 1 season would take Misi out on 3rd downs, makes no sense.

Sproles or someone like him. Change of pace to attack the edges. Brown can't and his being around does nothing for DT. Let the young man run.

And Orton is another piece of **** QB that does nothing for this team. Can't believe people continue to ride his nuts. Dude folds under pressure and isn't a leader. MIA rides the season out with Henne keeping all their picks, to move up in '12. Trading away picks for a below avg QB, does nothing for this team long term.

I'd love to sign Lawson, but I hate the other two ideas. Someone will give up a second or third for Orton, and he's just not worth that. And we don't need Brown back, he's just not very good. I'd rather get a Sproles/Bush kind of back, or D Williams if he's available and affordable (he probably won't be). And as for QB, there really aren't any vets out there to get excited about. The people that want Hasselbeck, McNabb, and Palmer must not have watched them play last year, because they were all either on the same level as Henne, or in Hasselbeck's case, much worse. And there is no upside to them... Our best bet is to get a UDFA QB, or a younger FA who we think can progress to compete with Brandstater as our #3, and trying to sign someone who is not horrendous to be our #2. Then, if Henne doesn't make progress this year, in the new offense, we use the picks we didn't waste on a mediocre option at QB this offseason to go out and get a decent rookie QB next year.

I like Henne.....but why try and fit square pegs in round holes. Daboll wants a QB who best suits his system.....'accurate smart QB with pocket presence'. With Henne at QB I wanted Al Saunders as OC, as IMO Henne is best suited to the Vertical offense, but that is another matter. We have Daboll who wants a ball control offense with an accurate QB (not Henne) and a bigger RB with good hands. I like Sproles and Bush (worried he ends up with Pats) but why not give Daboll what he desires......He is our OC.

I like Henne.....but why try and fit square pegs in round holes. Daboll wants a QB who best suits his system.....'accurate smart QB with pocket presence'. With Henne at QB I wanted Al Saunders as OC, as IMO Henne is best suited to the Vertical offense, but that is another matter. We have Daboll who wants a ball control offense with an accurate QB (not Henne) and a bigger RB with good hands. I like Sproles and Bush (worried he ends up with Pats) but why not give Daboll what he desires......He is our OC.
This.

Straight this is the draft to go after a QB sign sproles keep the picks all of them are precious

My thinking of this list is Henne needs weapons and the more he has the better he can be. Prime example Mark Sanchez he has a bundle of weapons to choose from which makes him successful. Give Henne the same weapons or better and I believe he will do the same. And I am not a Henne lover, but this is what I think he needs if not than bye bye.

My list would consist of these moves.
UDFA: QB Pat Delvin
NT Ian Williams
RB Damien Berry

UFA: WR Braylon Edwards
TE Zach Miller
OLB Manny Lawson
MLB Thomas Davis

IF CUT * Reggie Bush

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom