Question about trades and tenders | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about trades and tenders

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Ok, there is a lot talk about Ogunleye being possibly traded as opposed to simply being tendered.

My question is, if the Dolphins were to, for example, slap the 1st and 3rd round tender on Wally (appx. $1.95 million salary).......would that prevent the team from negotiating a trade?? Would any trade have to be worked out prior to any tender being made?? Or would the team be free to work out a deal outside the confines of the 1st/3rd round tender.

You askin' me? ;)

Yes, O-Gun can be traded. O-Gun would be required to sign the tender offer with Miami. Of course, Miami and the other team would need to agree on the trade AND I'm sure the acquiring team would already have a long-term deal negotiated with O-Gun and agent. If Miami were to tender with 1st & 3rd and a team were to offer less, then it's up to Miami to decide whether it's ample compensation.

Thanks. That makes sense.

One other follow-up question. Is the tender a flat-out base salary?? Meaning, Miami could trade him without incuring any cap hit??

Also, are there only three tenders?? Minimum, first round, and first and third??

You gotta love my questions. Kindergarten level for you guys. ;)

Yes, straight salary and NO cap hit if traded

Minimum (~$675,000): player's draft rd or no compensation if undrafted

1st rd (~$1.6 million): self explanatory

1st & 3rd (~$1.95 million): self explanatory

Their is a new higher designation with a higher tender but I do not have the particulars right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thanks. One last (and very simple) question. Is final day to tag/tender/reach contractual agreement with your RFAs/ERFAs/tagged players the first day of free agency?? Is that date March 1st??

I remember Jason Taylor and the Dolphins litererally running out of time negotiating to the wire, and JT not being able to sign his tag (and extention) until July 15th.

Originally posted by Muck
Ok, there is a lot talk about Ogunleye being possibly traded as opposed to simply being tendered.

My question is, if the Dolphins were to, for example, slap the 1st and 3rd round tender on Wally (appx. $1.95 million salary).......would that prevent the team from negotiating a trade?? Would any trade have to be worked out prior to any tender being made?? Or would the team be free to work out a deal outside the confines of the 1st/3rd round tender.

Well we have to tender him before he's traded because the trading period begins on March 3rd & the last day to tender a RFA a contract is March 2nd. If we don't tender him then he becomes an UFA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that makes sense. Except for the February part. ;)

Trades period starts same time as FA. Tenders can start to be extended mid Feb and players must be tendered before FA starts. I'll get some official dates later. This is why becoming cap compliant INCLUDES the ability to tender RFAs & EFAs

Back
Top Bottom