Question: Can Tannehill restructure his contract? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question: Can Tannehill restructure his contract?

67Stang

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I am more in to the X's and O's of the games and definitely not up to snuff with contract dates and rules. Is Tannehill allowed to restructure his contract right now in order to free up some cap space to help with a LB or Guard?

He seems like the type of guy who would given the circumstances. To the money guru's in here, is this even an option?

I don't think there is anything prohibiting him from doing that right now?

I would imagine that this is an avenue they would explore right now if they had someone they wanted to sign, and otherwise they will bring it up later on when the front office isn't as busy and the player isn't in the middle of getting 19 opinions on his knee + preparing for surgery.

I do hope this is something they can get done. It would help the team to be able to offset the cost of signing Cutler and I also think it would bode well for the future of Ryan in Miami.

I know there is no dead money if we move on from him next year (I hope we don't). That could be a factor as well. I am not comfortable with Hull as a permanent starting LB!

That's a great question/idea! On one hand, Ryan seems to care about this team enough to relinquish some cap space but at the same time this injury could potentially effect the trajectory of his career. I still believe in him but i could see his side if he wanted to maximize his earnings while he is still under a lucrative contract.

I could see Ryan requesting his salary from this year to be pushed into future years as guaranteed money, to ensure that the team will give him a chance to show he has recovered from the ACL tear.

If I remember correctly, Tom Brady has done that at least once in order to create cap space.

There would be 4.6 mil in dead money, but we'd still save 15.2 mil in cap space

Same goes if we trade him. And a post June 1 cut is only $2.3M in dead money with a couple more million shaved off the cap.

He can but he has no incentive to nor would his agent probably let him. Why would take a cut in pay and restructure? It only hurts himself. And if Miami says do it or we will cut you, then if he is cut he will get a bigger contract from another QB hungry team as there are so many of them.

Now if you want to move money around and guarantee some (which hurts Miami long-term) to lower his cap number or something that is possible but for a guy coming off major knee surgery I am not sure the Fins will want to do that and be tied to him financially when they currently aren't after this year

Back
Top Bottom