Question Fellow Phin Fans? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question Fellow Phin Fans?

APhinnity

Scout Team
Reaction score
Why is Travis Minor too small at 5'10 205lbs while some of the league's very best running backs are roughly the same size? Consider the following,

Future Hall-of-Famer
Emmitt Smith @ 5'10 215lbs is the NFL's all-time runner from scrimmage.

Current Superstars
Clinton Portis @ 5'11 205lbs, arguably the NFL's top back
Priest Holmes @ 5'9 213lbs, same as above

Former Stars
Charlie Garner @ 5'10 190lbs
Garrison Hearst @ 5'11 215lbs

Rising Star
Michael Bennet @ 5'9 209lbs

Above-Average Performers
Tiki Barber @ 5'10 200lbs has been a superb performer and ultra dependable
Travis Henry @ 5'11 215lbs

One-hit Wonder
Dominic Rhodes @ 5'9 203lbs,

All of those guys received opportunities early in their careers and they've all distinguished themselves in a major way. Now I'm not saying that Travis will do the same, but I don't believe that it will be because he's too small. I'll hang up and hear your thoughts.

Hate To Say It....

APhinnity said:
Why is Travis Minor too small at 5'10 205lbs while some of the league's very best running backs are roughly the same size? Consider the following,

Future Hall-of-Famer

Current Superstars

Former Stars

Rising Star

Above-Average Performers

One-hit Wonder

All of those guys received opportunities early in their careers and they've all distinguished themselves in a major way. Now I'm not saying that Travis will do the same, but I don't believe that it will be because he's too small. I'll hang up and hear your thoughts.

:shakeno: JUST CAUSE SINCE THE LINE HAS BEEN SLIGHT BELOW AVERAGE... :o THEY BELIEVE THAT A BIGGER BACK IS BETTER. IN THIS CASE SIZE DON'T MATTER :roflmao:

After that pot-smoking runner we had who was rather heavy, people think Minor is too small. Time will tell. Smaller body means smaller hole needed:fire: to run through which could come in handy with our new line.

What about Quentin Griffin at 5' 8" and 208 lbs...
That kid will be a super star. He was the only one I was impressed to tell you the truth. I think that Minor is going to surprise alot of people as so will our O-Line. Listen guys, bottom line, if our O-LINE gels up.. "please god" Everything is going to be ok. The other NFL teams seem to forget that they have to score touchdowns in what looks to be the most Dominating Defense in the entire league. With all the young additions on Defense, we finally have enough Depth to be consistent without our D-Line being so damn exhausted by the 4th quarter, which is where they would pretty much give up or just could not hang anymore. T-Minior might not be able to carry the load of 40 or 45 carries in a game, and who here really wants to see that again, but the kid's got talent and he will show it.. Wait until Saturday. "mark my words"
:D

APhinnity said:

Future Hall-of-Famer

Current Superstars

Former Stars

Rising Star

Above-Average Performers

One-hit Wonder

Of course this is only my opinion so don't take it too seriously. I don't believe that Minor is too small but I do have concerns about his stamina through out a game as well as throughout the entire season. This is a guy that hasn't had extensive carries since he entered the NFL. This is also a guy that wasn't expected to carry the load at RB until a few weeks ago. I'm just not sure if his body is ready for the amount of work that he is about to receive.

Hopefully our O-line will continue to do well at run-blocking (as I have heard they have been doing) and the committee approach will keep Minor somewhat fresh.

I also hope that Chambers & Co. can finally get off the ground and take some pressure off of the running game. Hey, it could happen.

Either way, I don't believe that we are any worse off than we were the year before Ricky got here. Hell, we even made the playoffs that season.;)

Lungoystr said:
Of course this is only my opinion so don't take it too seriously. I don't believe that Minor is too small but I do have concerns about his stamina through out a game as well as throughout the entire season. This is a guy that hasn't had extensive carries since he entered the NFL. This is also a guy that wasn't expected to carry the load at RB until a few weeks ago. I'm just not sure if his body is ready for the amount of work that he is about to receive.

Hopefully our O-line will continue to do well at run-blocking (as I have heard they have been doing) and the committee approach will keep Minor somewhat fresh.

I also hope that Chambers & Co. can finally get off the ground and take some pressure off of the running game. Hey, it could happen.

Either way, I don't believe that we are any worse off than we were the year before Ricky got here. Hell, we even made the playoffs that season.;)
** Ahaa!! **
But, noone knew if Priest Holmes was going to be a pro bowler either did they?
All I'm saying is that this kid has the speed and the talent, and you're right, it all falls back on our O-Line showing up week in and week out. Period, End of Story... I don't care if Feeley or Fiedler are throwing the ball as long as our QB has more than 10 seconds to throw the ball.

dreamz4fins said:
** Ahaa!! **
But, noone knew if Priest Holmes was going to be a pro bowler either did they?
All I'm saying is that this kid has the speed and the talent, and you're right, it all falls back on our O-Line showing up week in and week out. Period, End of Story... I don't care if Feeley or Fiedler are throwing the ball as long as our QB has more than 10 seconds to throw the ball.
Yeah, but Priest Holmes had a passing game from hell to open up the run for him. And of course it falls on our O-line to make our offense successful because we don't have a QB with quick read and release capability and we don't have Barry Sanders to make his own yards.

I think we'll do fine.:)

just remember this man, all these people in the national media over the past month that have laughed about travis minor being our running back know absolutely nothing about him, other than he's not ricky williams. some of them may have seen him on some fsu highlights but that's about it. so, when all these so called "experts" don't know anything about someone, they think it's because that player sucks. let's just hope travis and his 4.5 ypc show them otherwise.

APhinnity said:

Future Hall-of-Famer

Current Superstars

Former Stars

Rising Star

Above-Average Performers

One-hit Wonder

It's not his size I question, it's his ability. A RB can be successful in a range of sizes; he just has to use his strengths... speed, agility, etc.

We won't know how good he is by looking at any figures from past years, either, because he was not the starter, and wasn't surrounded by the same personnel. We have to wait until the season starts.

The running game doesn't worry me as much as the passing game, to be honest. Chambers rules, but we really need at least 1, preferably 2 other good receivers.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
It's not his size I question, it's his ability. A RB can be successful in a range of sizes; he just has to use his strengths... speed, agility, etc.

We won't know how good he is by looking at any figures from past years, either, because he was not the starter, and wasn't surrounded by the same personnel. We have to wait until the season starts.

The running game doesn't worry me as much as the passing game, to be honest. Chambers rules, but we really need at least 1, preferably 2 other good receivers.
True but the question is are the going to raise the bar on 1st/2nd string ratio...Travis won't excell if his time is shared 50/50 unlike with ricky it was bout 85/15. And i think everythink will be alright

Back
Top Bottom