Question For CK And Other Draft Guru's: 2012 Draft Pass Rushers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For CK And Other Draft Guru's: 2012 Draft Pass Rushers

zodiak

Starter
Reaction score
Moving away from the QB position for now Im curious what players should be we looking at in terms of Pass Rushers?

what OLB and DE(that project to OLB) are you focusing on?

Thanks.

I've developed a really strong affinity for Courtney Upshaw. I think he's an animal. Slimm can probably expound upon him more than I can as he's a Bama nut and watches every single one of their games without fail, but the more I watch of Upshaw, the more I love about him. Very violent hand use, good acceleration, strong as an ox, and he moves well with good balance. And he's got something you just can't put your finger on that is the ability to perform athletic feats in the right moments. If you could put him opposite Cam Wake I think you'd be doing just fine, and Koa Misi could rotate with the two depending on situation and what you need to accomplish.

Aside from him, we're talking about more of a 4-3 defense then I like Cam Johnson a lot.

If you're getting deeper into the Draft then I think Slimm and I both like and have talked about Jake Bequette.

Jarvis Jones, 6'3, 245, out of Georgia has been a menacing pass rusher as well. He transferred to GA from Southern Cal and is a major talent.

The problem is that he is only a redshirt sophomore and has stated he is coming back to school. Its still early but he bears watching in 2012 or, more likely, 2013.

cam johnson of uva??? when will you guys ever learn about these virginia pass rushers...all that sintim love round here and now cam johnson...meh...i've seen cams every game and i'm not very impressed with him at the next level...guy i do like on that d and i think is underrated and will be a solid 34 end is matt conrath...he's in the chris canty mold

cam johnson of uva??? when will you guys ever learn about these virginia pass rushers...all that sintim love round here and now cam johnson...meh...i've seen cams every game and i'm not very impressed with him at the next level...guy i do like on that d and i think is underrated and will be a solid 34 end is matt conrath...he's in the chris canty mold

Clint Sintim was not a very good NFL linebacker coming out of Al Groh's 3-4 defense, so Cam Johnson must not be a very good Defensive End coming out of Jim Reid's 4-3 defense?

I don't really follow that logic.

they were both viewed as pass rushers at the next level as draft prospects...3-4 4-3 doesn't matter...pass rushers...and neither one gets or got me all that excited...for the record though i like cam more than i liked clint...never understood what people were so high on with him

they were both viewed as pass rushers at the next level as draft prospects...3-4 4-3 doesn't matter...pass rushers...and neither one gets or got me all that excited...for the record though i like cam more than i liked clint...never understood what people were so high on with him

Michael Haynes and Tamba Hali were both considered pass rushers. Did Michael Haynes' non-success have any bearing whatsoever on whether Tamba Hali should have been considered a good prospect?

i see what you're getting at...just cause a kid went to the same school he should still be judged on his own merit...i get it...i'm just sayin nobody here watches more uva than me...i think i'm the only uva fan on this board can't say i blame anyone either cause til this season we've been dreadful but i would think that if cam had such redeeming qualities as an edge rusher 4-3 end i would have picked up on it by now...i would think...i mean i could understand a mid round pick there but not a top 50 one...not to me at least

i think if you're gonna have to use a pick on cam johnson in the same relative territory you would a courtney upshaw (who doesn't wow with athleticism or explosion imo) than i'd just rather pass on johnson and use the pick somewhere else...

i see what you're getting at...just cause a kid went to the same school he should still be judged on his own merit...i get it...i'm just sayin nobody here watches more uva than me...i think i'm the only uva fan on this board can't say i blame anyone either cause til this season we've been dreadful but i would think that if cam had such redeeming qualities as an edge rusher 4-3 end i would have picked up on it by now...i would think...i mean i could understand a mid round pick there but not a top 50 one...not to me at least

i think if you're gonna have to use a pick on cam johnson in the same relative territory you would a courtney upshaw (who doesn't wow with athleticism or explosion imo) than i'd just rather pass on johnson and use the pick somewhere else...

Didn't realize you were such a diehard UVA guy.

I don't consider Cam Johnson and Courtney Upshaw to be the same type of player. I think Cam is bigger, more suited to be a stay at home End type of player that rushes the passer. He had a really excellent game against Brandon Washington of the Miami Hurricanes. Cam was playing with an injury in that game, so I'm told. Washington is probably a guard at the next level but he's a very highly regarded player and the injured Cam Johnson dragged him all over the place. Really good hand use at every level regardless of what he's doing, excellent balance, stays on his feet, stays square, shows powerful hands, nice low pad level, the flexibility, hand use and balance combination make him a really good pass rusher. He drew double teams from the guard a lot during the game because Brandon Washington, good as he is, couldn't be expected to handle Cam. What I love is that he doesn't just free himself on the initial move, though he can do that too, either with an outside rush or an inside move. He keeps working and using his hands and body to get the offensive tackle's momentum and weight working against him until he's free. Great motor. Long arms. Shows an easy and natural burst with his steps, retraces with ease. Keeps his head up on the play and reacts with the ball. The balance reminds me of Dexter Davis from Arizona State who made an impression in limited time with the Seahawks last year but has spent this year on injured reserve, except Johnson is bigger and stronger than Davis and will have a more natural home along the DL.

I dunno, think maybe you should take a closer peek at him some time. Very good player.

If we're talking pass rushers,you can't start the discussion without Vinny Curry(11 sacks on the year) and West Virginia' Bruce Irvin(12 sacks)...both are expected to make the transition to OLB

Actually I'm not a big fan of either, truth be told. Vinny Curry looks to me to be really stiff and slow, and Bruce Irvin too small, not much strength/power.

Give me Burfict. I truly think his game can translate to Mike in a 3-4 and be a pass rushing menace from the inside.

Actually I'm not a big fan of either, truth be told. Vinny Curry looks to me to be really stiff and slow, and Bruce Irvin too small, not much strength/power.

agreed...although i have seen evidence of a lethal first step burst and explosion...and thats always a big plus...but he looks tiny and gets engulfed by tackles too much for my liking

as for cam johnson i guess i need to take a more in depth look...

oh and the hoos in my username is short for wahoos...which is a uva nickname...

agreed...although i have seen evidence of a lethal first step burst and explosion...and thats always a big plus...but he looks tiny and gets engulfed by tackles too much for my liking

as for cam johnson i guess i need to take a more in depth look...

oh and the hoos in my username is short for wahoos...which is a uva nickname...

One of the five greatest mysteries of Finheaven...solved. :)

Here's Cam Johnson's performance against the Canes. I think it's pretty much every snap so it's not like it's cherry picked. It's a good cross-section of what I like about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqiEROuemJc

Back
Top Bottom