Question for you guys

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by AirFishOne, Jan 17, 2007.

1. AirFishOne

AirFishOne 3peat Big XII Champs!

Obviously Im gonna think this, but is Adrian Peterson one of, if not the, best players to not win a Heisman? Im not as old as most of you, so I havent seen many great players.

Just a question, no need to bash. But I do feel that at least in this decade that AD is the best to not win the hardware.

2. Kev83

Kev83 Well-Known Member

Could certainly be one of the better players not to win one. When I initially read this, the first name in my head was Peyton Manning. A huge list of defensive players come to mind, esp LBers like Mike Singletary, Derrick Thomas, and Junior Seau in college. Orlando Pace is the best college OL I've ever seen, if you want to add that in the list too.

But after much deliberation, my answer is probably Tim Tebow.:D

3. AirFishOne

No love for the best college linebacker in the history of the NCAA

Brian Bosworth DA BOZ BABY :lol:

4. DonShula84

DonShula84 Sporty Don

I dont know, but I highly doubt it, I mean Vince Young was a great college player and didnt win it and that's just going back to last year. Besides the who's the best is so subjective it'd be impossible to say.

5. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Pefect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Adrian was hurt by the injuries if u ask me. Tho maybe he still might not have won, they really hampered him in doing so. So many juniors jump ship now a days its gives them one less chance to win the hardware. (For example, who thinks Vince Young would have won the Heisman this year if he would have stayed at Texas . . . I sure do).

6. Alex44

Alex44 Chicago Bears GM

Im gonna say Vince Young was the best to not win it.

All Day (Adrian) is great, but the only year he deserved serious consideration based on stats was his freshman year, and Id be willing to say Vince had a better Junior year than AD did his Freshman year

7. Cuban Dave 9

Cuban Dave 9 Wokeup this mornin n I got myself a beer

Someone mentioned Payton Manning. He never won the big games and didn't UTenn win the NC when he left?

8. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Pefect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Woodson won it the year Peyton finished second. Still kind of suprises me to this day. Not saying Charles Woodsen didn't deserve major consideration for it because he had a tremendous year that year . . . just kind of funny that maybe the NFL's greatest QB of all time (when it is all said and done), who had a EXCELLENT college career . . . lost the Heisman to a DB (WR in college as well and ST).

9. AirFishOne

Yes, Vince is one of those players who deserved the Heisman, but this is kinda a 'what if' thread if ya know what I mean, lol. AD averaged 5.4 YPC and had 970 yards in 6 games, with 10 TDs then he broke his collar bone. Do you think, if he never gotten hurt, would he of won the Heisman this year, or was the media love for Troy Smith too deep?

10. DonShula84

DonShula84 Sporty Don

I think the media had given Smith the Heisman before AD went down, but I may be wrong about the timing of his injury. It seems like once Quinn struggled early the media jumped all over Smith. It would have been a closer race imo but I think Smith probably still would have won it.

11. AirFishOne

True, the trophy was givin to him by the time he went down. But the voting would of been a hell of alot closer than Smith blowin everyone out.

12. Kev83

Kev83 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mentioned Peyton.
    He won a LOT of big games, but the Gators seemed to have his number each year. Tee Martin led UT to a NC the next yr, largely in part to a really good defense and running game.
    Charles Woodson winning the Heisman was a complete and total joke.

It's hard to say who's the best not to win it. Defense players and OL like John Hannah and Orlando Pace were better than AD, Peyton, Vince Young, & co. Their positions discourage the award more than encourage, however.

13. finswin56

finswin56 Guest

least we forget Hugh Green.

14. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

To be honest with, I don't put much stock in the Heisman Trophy anymore. Its a popularity contest. Yes is prestigous if you win, but you've got to be a great player, lucky, and be loved by the media. Geez its more like a high school prom vote now-a-days. If it wasn't a popularity contest, Peterson would have won the thing his freshman year. With all these voters, do they actualy WATCH the players or just catch 1 or 2 games and then look at their stat lines for the others?

My team has a front runner for next year (Brian Brohm) and I don't really care that much. I want Louisville to win the Big East again and play for the national title. If he wins the Heisman, that's good for him.