Question on the cap--- | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question on the cap---

CHOPS44

firm believer
Reaction score
If a player that's signed for a couple more years, retires, does his contract and cap hit magically dissappear? Please reply if you know. I'm trying to figure out a way of getting rid of Vinny.

vinny really didn't look that ....................

bad sat, whoever was calling the plays should get the axe!
clear.gif

Just because he had a good second half of the playoff game, doesn't make up for the pathetic year he's had. He's got a $9,000,000 cap hit next year. That's right $9,000,000!!! Thankyou Tuna, you fat piece of crap for screwing my team for one good season. Tampa Beware! He'll mortgage your future then leave you cold. With cap problems and then he'll get another job and take your coaches and players with him.

I heard a rumor that Curtis will wind up in Tampa. Also our O-line coach and many others!

I want to restructure Vinny's contract for a friendlier cap this year, then have him retire. But it won't work if the rules make us take the cap hit even though he did retire. Otherwise just dump him now and get the hit over with. It's time for the Chad Pennington era in NY. Think about it...we play a conservative offense, we have a great running game and good recievers and have great pass protection. Perfect for a young QB!

Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised to see more Jets players in Bucs uniforms next year. He brought a lot of those players to N.Y. If the guys feel like they have a better chance to win with Parcells, then they'll probably go.:cool:

In answer to the question, the cap hit does not just magically disappear if the player retires - see Aikman! :eek:

You're either looking at trading (unlikely), restructuring (v. strong possibility), paying the money (:eek: ) or putting him in the expansion pool and praying that the Texans take him. IF they take him then all cap/salary responsibility transfers to the Texans.

to elaborate on Slaine's comments- the bonus is usually prorated over the life of the contract, but if the player retires, then you need to take the cap hits immediately. The Fins are in the same boat with Daryl Gardener, but it is sounds like he will not retire.

Personally, the coaches know better than you or I what Pennington is capable of, i.e. if he can be better than Vinny; if Chad cannot then who QB's for you ?

If I may interject.....

If a player retires, ANY paid bonuses still count against cap. If the player refunds any portion, the team would get cap relief....usually the following cap year(i.e. Barry Sanders), but some in the year of retirement. Player that retires is similar to a player released....before June 1st, bonuses paid are accelerated into retirement year, while after June 1st, only one year of amortization counts vs retirement year and the rest the following year.

Originally posted by CHOPS44
Just because he had a good second half of the playoff game, doesn't make up for the pathetic year he's had. He's got a $9,000,000 cap hit next year. That's right $9,000,000!!! Thankyou Tuna, you fat piece of crap for screwing my team for one good season. Tampa Beware! He'll mortgage your future then leave you cold. With cap problems and then he'll get another job and take your coaches and players with him.

I heard a rumor that Curtis will wind up in Tampa. Also our O-line coach and many others!

I want to restructure Vinny's contract for a friendlier cap this year, then have him retire. But it won't work if the rules make us take the cap hit even though he did retire. Otherwise just dump him now and get the hit over with. It's time for the Chad Pennington era in NY. Think about it...we play a conservative offense, we have a great running game and good recievers and have great pass protection. Perfect for a young QB!

I was hearing a deal that involved Martin, Lynch, and draft picks. Is Jordan really that good? Most of the kids in my school are Giants fans but the Jets fans hate Parcells right now.

Jordan looks awesome. He's even faster than Curtis. He's a super fast Bettis. He was a sure fire number one pick, but got the rep for having a bad attitude, that's why he dropped.

I heard about the same deal -also Curtis for Sapp and a No. 1. I think that the Jets have to seriously listen to the Tuna. You can totally exploit him with trades. He'll trade away the future of the team for a couple good seasons, he doesn't care because he won't be around. Tuna loves Curtis and might even give us two or three picks with Sapp or Lynch. I'd prefer Booger McFarland over either one of them though. I bet that either Mo Lewis or Marvin Jones ends up down there too.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Yes, please send Curtis out of the AFC East. Thank you.
second that - trading Curtis Martin w/b about as stupid a trade as when Indy traded Faulk unless you get a hell of a lot for him. Martin can run, catch, block, usually does not fumble and is rarely hurt; in other words, he is the perfect HB. Please trade him ;)

In answer to the question, the cap hit does not just magically disappear if the player retires - see Aikman!

Didn't Aikman get cut first, then retire after realizing that nobody wanted to pick him up? Hence the cap hit to Dallas.

Hey, I LOVE Curtis Martin. Let's just look at some hidden intagibles....No one can carry the number of times that Curtis has without breaking down early.(Unless your name is Wlater Payton) He's had the most carries in the NFL since coming into the league. I can sit here and name a hundred backs that broke down early beacause of overuse...Jamal Anderson, T Davis, Emmitt was broken for a couple seasons, George, Look at L Smith this year after his big season. It's only a matter of time before he breaks down. I know he's special, but I'd like to get a trade for him now, while his trade value is at it's highest and we have a good(potentially great) replacement for him. If we got a couple number 1's and a decent player for him, that would allow us to draft a dominant DT and Roy Williams or Ed Reed! With our D-line with Abraham, Ellis, Fergeson(will be back next year), and a Stud DT, we can have a bunch of average lb's and they will still be productive. Then next year with our extra number 1 we can take the best avalible LB and CB. Can you say rebuilt defense in no time?!

About the cap hit for Vinny the Jets would get hit w/all remainging bonuses that have not already been paid out, but they do not take the hit of what ever his salary was slated to be.

Originally posted by Jeff1220

Didn't Aikman get cut first, then retire after realizing that nobody wanted to pick him up? Hence the cap hit to Dallas.

You're right Jeff they did waive him.

From CNNSI.com:

Jones had to make the move by Thursday or else pay Aikman a $7 million bonus and extend his contract through 2007. He will still take up $10 million :eek: of Dallas' $67.4 million salary cap this season.

"This was as much a salary-cap casualty as it was anything else," Aikman said. Jones also said the salary cap was a factor in the decision.

But the effect would have been the same if he had retired or been waived as far as I'm aware.

Back
Top Bottom