Ralph Wilson's first choice was Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ralph Wilson's first choice was Miami

JPhinfan86

Chief of the Finheaven Iowa Chapter.
Reaction score
Ralph Wilson Article

RalphWilson said:
"It was a foolish club," said Wilson, who after a deal to place a team in Miami turned sour, placed his franchise in Buffalo.

When looking for a place to establish a team, Buffalo Bills founder/owner's first choice as a city was Miami. Rejected. :lol: Must suck as a Bills fan to know that your founder's first choice was the home of your division rival.

RalphWilson said:
Since that first season, Wilson and the Buffalo Bills fans have had a love-hate relationship. In the AFL years, when the Bills were winning, Wilson was a beloved figure on the Buffalo sports scene. As the teams fortunes began to wane, however, so did Wilson's popularity among the fans. He was tabbed as a cheapskate, who wouldn't spend enough on a winner, during the 70's. Much of this critisism was deserved, much of it was not. As the Bills once again rose to prominence, Wilson's popularity rose with it.
I don't want to hear any more crap from Bills fans about how Fin fans turn on our organization.

JPhinfan86 said:

I've read that article before and it's a good article. The fans are just fans. In all cities they will b*tch when their team is losing.

I'm glad the NFL has owners like Ralph Wilson still. Just as I loathe owners like Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones in the league. Their is enough money to be made without diminishing the popularity of the sport.

A couple of points about money grubbing in the NFL.....

When I was a kid I could name every stadium that all 28 teams played. Now?

When I was a kid pay-per-view was not even a thought.

When I was a kid football cards were found on the candy aisle (bubble gum inside).

When I was a kid change didn't happen every year. I knew my favorite players would be back in uniform.

When I was a kid coaching consisted of names like Saban, Shula, Landry, Starr, Madden, Eubank, Knoll, Levy, Ditka, Gillman, Allen, Reeves, Parcells, Gregg, Vermeill, Flores, Grant, Gibbs, and Walsh. No owner was looking for the next "rock star" of a coach. These men were football giants. Every one of them is more qualified than half of the league coaches today.

It's no wonder that the aforementioned bastard owners (Jones and Snyder) are relying on that coaching era to win and sell tickets. Who originally hired Parcells and Gibbs? Answer: Jack Kent Cooke the Redskins owner since 1978 and a the Mara family who it would seem has owned a team since the beginning of time.

Yes I'm happy Ralph Wilson has been an owner. He's better than the likes that have come around today and what they've done for the game $

ZOD said:
I've read that article before and it's a good article. The fans are just fans. In all cities they will b*tch when their team is losing.
I realize that, it's just that some of the Bills fan on this forum will be the last to admit it.
ZOD said:
I'm glad the NFL has owners like Ralph Wilson still. Just as I loathe owners like Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones in the league. Their is enough money to be made without diminishing the popularity of the sport.
I agree with you 100%. Some of the things Snyder does are just plain unbelievable (i.e. allowing Stephen Davis to leave). <~~~ among other things.

Back
Top Bottom