Rams trade for number 1 pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rams trade for number 1 pick

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
Two weeks before the draft, we have a blockbuster trade.
The Tennessee Titans have traded the first overall pick to the Los Angeles Rams.
Obviously, this means the Rams see a franchise quarterback in this draft, and they think that quarterback will lead them in their new hometown of Los Angeles for years to come. That quarterback is likely to be North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, although some see Cal’s Jared Goff as the better pick.
To get the top pick from the Titans, the Rams gave up their first-round pick this year (No. 15 overall), their first-round pick next year, both of their second-round picks this year (their own and the one they got from the Eagles in the Sam Bradford/Nick Foles trade) and their third-round pick next year. The Titans are also throwing in their fourth-round pick and sixth-round pick this year.
That’s a big haul for the Titans, which will help them build depth on their roster. But it also means the Titans won’t get the franchise left tackle they were said to covet, Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss.
Usually draft trades like this one go right down to the wire. But the Titans and Rams have gone ahead with a huge deal two weeks ahead of time.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/titans-trade-first-overall-pick-to-rams/

Tennessee now has 6 picks in the Top 76 this year and 5 picks in the first 2 days next year.

Considering they feel comfortable with Mariota.... they would be foolish to trade away any of these picks. If they stand their ground and choose BPA, that should net them 11 starters or backups from just the top end of the draft in 2 years.

After taking into account how foolishly Indy has squandered resources around Luck, Tennessee could be poised to seize the division and might have a sizable grip on it for some time.

These types of moves are how dynasties can be born. And it is precisely how you leverage yourself in a draft.

Any Dolphin fans that would NOT like to have substituted the Dolphins for the Titans' name in that news?

Good GM's have moves like this on their resume.

Great trade for the Titans.

If the Rams hit on their QB pick, they also win. They've done a good job of drafting since the RGIII trade that saw them in the same situation as the Titans. The only issue is they've never had a great QB to push them over the top.

With the right QB and Gurley, the Rams could make considerable noise in the NFC West.

Personally, I think this is Dallas' best chance to draft a legit QB prospect on the downside of Romo's career. And the Rams may have just put Dallas into trade down mode. They might be able to get some extra picks and target Lynch around the 15 spot. Otherwise they are going to target CB or LB.

It would be a mistake for Dallas to not be targeting QB this year in Round 1. You can't plan to wait until Romo is done to start looking for his successor.

If the Rams hit on their QB pick, they also win. They've done a good job of drafting since the RGIII trade that saw them in the same situation as the Titans. The only issue is they've never had a great QB to push them over the top.

With the right QB and Gurley, the Rams could make considerable noise in the NFC West.

Personally, I think this is Dallas' best chance to draft a legit QB prospect on the downside of Romo's career. And the Rams may have just put Dallas into trade down mode. They might be able to get some extra picks and target Lynch around the 15 spot. Otherwise they are going to target CB or LB.

It would be a mistake for Dallas to not be targeting QB this year in Round 1. You can't plan to wait until Romo is done to start looking for his successor.

But can you realistically draft a QB fourth overall and have them sit on the bench for the next four seasons?

I don't think you can because if the belief is that Romo is going to play for the next four seasons, then the kid isn't going to see the field. So with Romo under center they are in win now mode, so they need someone that is going to step in from day one and contribute towards that goal. Plus, with Romo's contract it arguably only becomes realistic to cut him heading into the final year of his contract, or perhaps as a post-june cut after the next two seasons. I don't see Romo going anywhere and if he plays out his contract, drafting a quarterback in the first round is a waste. Maybe it would be a possibility if Romo had two or three seasons left on his deal and they were picking in the mid to late first round, but fourth overall with Romo having four seasons left would be a silly choice by the Cowboys.

The other factor the Cowboys would face is how would they handle the rookie's first contract when his rookie deal expires?

If all goes well then Romo will play out his contract and won't miss a game. If that happens the rookie won't have seen the field, or will only have seen limited action at the end of games. Putting a value on that type of player would be difficult, and could see them ending up with a Broncos like scenario where the player leaves to go elsewhere, or they end up in a bidding war and end up having to pay over the odds for a guy with limited or no starting experience. I guess they could take out the fifth year option, or even tag him if they were desperate, but drafting a quarterback that may not play or see the field very much in their first four years would be another reason why a quarterback at fourth overall would be a waste of a draft pick.

However, if the Cowboys manage to trade down into the mid to late first round, then maybe drafting Lynch will be an option for them. But even in that scenario they could still face a similar problem if Romo plays out the remaining four seasons of his contract. At that point they would have to decide how much to pay Lynch or whatever quarterback they take at that point based on limited action. Granted if Romo gets hurt again, then any rookie draft would see the field enough for them to make a judgement and perhaps be benefited by their presence on their roster over someone like Kellen Moore. But I don't see the Cowboys drafting a QB in the first round this season with their belief in Romo being their guy for the next four seasons.

But can you realistically draft a QB fourth overall and have them sit on the bench for the next four seasons?

I don't think you can because if the belief is that Romo is going to play for the next four seasons, then the kid isn't going to see the field. So with Romo under center they are in win now mode, so they need someone that is going to step in from day one and contribute towards that goal. Plus, with Romo's contract it arguably only becomes realistic to cut him heading into the final year of his contract, or perhaps as a post-june cut after the next two seasons. I don't see Romo going anywhere and if he plays out his contract, drafting a quarterback in the first round is a waste. Maybe it would be a possibility if Romo had two or three seasons left on his deal and they were picking in the mid to late first round, but fourth overall with Romo having four seasons left would be a silly choice by the Cowboys.

The other factor the Cowboys would face is how would they handle the rookie's first contract when his rookie deal expires?

If all goes well then Romo will play out his contract and won't miss a game. If that happens the rookie won't have seen the field, or will only have seen limited action at the end of games. Putting a value on that type of player would be difficult, and could see them ending up with a Broncos like scenario where the player leaves to go elsewhere, or they end up in a bidding war and end up having to pay over the odds for a guy with limited or no starting experience. I guess they could take out the fifth year option, or even tag him if they were desperate, but drafting a quarterback that may not play or see the field very much in their first four years would be another reason why a quarterback at fourth overall would be a waste of a draft pick.

However, if the Cowboys manage to trade down into the mid to late first round, then maybe drafting Lynch will be an option for them. But even in that scenario they could still face a similar problem if Romo plays out the remaining four seasons of his contract. At that point they would have to decide how much to pay Lynch or whatever quarterback they take at that point based on limited action. Granted if Romo gets hurt again, then any rookie draft would see the field enough for them to make a judgement and perhaps be benefited by their presence on their roster over someone like Kellen Moore. But I don't see the Cowboys drafting a QB in the first round this season with their belief in Romo being their guy for the next four seasons.

I completely agree with the Con's you've listed of drafting a QB. But this is precisely the type of decision that makes the NFL a business. Romo is no stranger to a broken collar bone. It's happened twice, 2015 and 2010. And let's face it, he has the best OL in football.

Romo might very well play another 4 years. He may also get injured again next year. Then what? Watch another season go down the toilet?

In the Top 5 of the draft, you either draft LT, QB, DE or a simply can't miss CB or LB. Hence my statement above.

With the quality and depth of this draft on the D side.... they can still get 2 starter caliber prospects in Round 2 and 3 on D.

Drafting a QB in Round 1 might seem a slap in the face to Romo, but it is the right business move for the Cowboys long term. Besides, Jerry Jones is the type of owner that will allow Romo to see his entire contract. Jerry sticks by his decisions. So, I would think Romo would understand the move knowing he will see his entire contract.

How many more times would you expect to draft in the Top 5 with Romo still there? And exactly how many years after Romo leaves are you willing to wait for your next QB?

I would think we, as Dolphin fans, could appreciate this situation.

What I am proposing for Dallas is to trade down if both Top 2 QBs are gone and hopefully land in a better spot to draft Lynch while picking up an additional pick(s) to help continue building the D. Win-Win.

Of course, you'd need a trading partner to make it work. Just a small little detail that needs ironing. :)

I completely agree with the Con's you've listed of drafting a QB. But this is precisely the type of decision that makes the NFL a business. Romo is no stranger to a broken collar bone. It's happened twice, 2015 and 2010. And let's face it, he has the best OL in football.

Romo might very well play another 4 years. He may also get injured again next year. Then what? Watch another season go down the toilet?

In the Top 5 of the draft, you either draft LT, QB, DE or a simply can't miss CB or LB. Hence my statement above.

With the quality and depth of this draft on the D side.... they can still get 2 starter caliber prospects in Round 2 and 3 on D.

Drafting a QB in Round 1 might seem a slap in the face to Romo, but it is the right business move for the Cowboys long term. Besides, Jerry Jones is the type of owner that will allow Romo to see his entire contract. Jerry sticks by his decisions. So, I would think Romo would understand the move knowing he will see his entire contract.

How many more times would you expect to draft in the Top 5 with Romo still there? And exactly how many years after Romo leaves are you willing to wait for your next QB?

I would think we, as Dolphin fans, could appreciate this situation.

What I am proposing for Dallas is to trade down if both Top 2 QBs are gone and hopefully land in a better spot to draft Lynch while picking up an additional pick(s) to help continue building the D. Win-Win.

Of course, you'd need a trading partner to make it work. Just a small little detail that needs ironing. :)

If the Cowboys trade down and select Lynch, while using the extra picks to land difference makers, then that could be a good move for them because it gives them insurance if Romo gets hurt. If I was a Cowboys fan I wouldn't be against it. Likewise, if Romo was our quarterback and we were in that position, I wouldn't be against seeing us draft his potential successor. However, the problem I have is that if Romo doesn't get hurt and plays four seasons, how do you judge how much to pay a guy that hasn't played much football in four years?

The Texans have just give Osweiler a four year deal worth $72 million, he has 7 career starts to his name, and before that thirty pass attempts in his first three seasons. Some like the move, others feel they have overpaid and taken a big risk. I am in the latter camp because they have paid a lot of money to a guy with a limited track record. If he becomes their franchise quarterback, great, but it's a big risk to pay a lot of money to an unproven talent and that's the situation the Cowboys would be in if they draft a first round quarterback (or any rookie quarterback) and Romo plays a full four seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why they should consider drafting Romo's successor, it is clearly needed and this is potentially the best chance they are going to get to land a top prospect because they will be intending to 32nd overall for the next four years. But if I am was in their position, or our Dolphins was in their position, I would be looking at one of the day two prospects like Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Cardele Jones, Dak Prescott. Those guys have talent and would learn a great deal behind Romo, and at the same time they would only cost a day two pick. I think drafting a prospect in the third or fourth round, and getting two starters with their first and second round picks, could be the best way forwards for them. Then again, I can see why they would value a top prospect like Goff/Wentz if they are available, or the prospect of trading back for more picks and getting Lynch plus other difference makers. It's a tough place for them to be in, but I think Jerry Jones will pass on a QB high in the draft and look for starters on offense or defense in those early rounds.

I personally think the ewes got hosed.

Tennessee gets better in a hurry esp if the Colts draft another toy for A Luck because the OL won't improve cough principal Joe cough

...However, if the Cowboys manage to trade down into the mid to late first round,...

The Cowboys should trade back up into the 1st ahead of the donkeys and grab Connor Cook.

Connor can afford to take the same route as Aaron Rodgers. No way IMO does Tony last another 5 like Jerruh thinks; 3 tops! That said, it would not surprise me if Jerruh overreaches on day 3 gets Brandon Allen from his alma mater in Fayetteville.

As I look at the picks Tennessee just received for #1, I can't help but think about some of Miami's former drafts and wish we had the opportunity to make a deal like this. It presents the opportunity to really turn around a franchise in a hurry. Of course all the years we were picking high, it was a weak draft and no one wanted to move up. It was also when contracts for rookies were much higher and harder to sign. Imagine the sort of impact all those picks would have on Miami.

I did a mock draft simulation for Tennessee to fill Miami needs and this is what I got....

15 Jack Conklin OT/OG
33 Kendall Fuller CB
43 Vernon Butler DT
45 Kyler Fackrell DE/OLB
64 Kenneth Dixon RB
76 Su'a Cravens WLB
140 Connor McGovern OG
193 James Bradberry CB
222 Kenyan Drake RB

If only.

Back
Top Bottom