Ramses Barden anyone? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ramses Barden anyone?

WhatsUp

Rookie
Reaction score
Lets sign Barden...he looks like he could just stand in the endzone and catch passes in double coverage.

This guys a monster. I'm going to youtube him now to see if hes any good:)

Ramses Barden, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

clear.gif
Wide Receiver

6' 6" 228 lbs

Cal-Poly

Senior

Strengths: Size, strength, hands, athletic ability, jumping ability

Weakness: Speed, level of competition,
route running

NFL Comparison: Marques Colston, New Orleans Saints

Small School Football has come a long way, last year (2008 NFL Draft), CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was selected 16th over-all by the Arizona Cardinals and in the 2007 NFL Draft LB Justin Durant was selected 48th over-all by the Jacksonville Jaguars. NFL Scouts have firmly placed their eyes on the small school football talent. NFL clubs are literally littered with unknown players from small schools, after the 2007 season there were approximately 220 players on active NFL rosters from non division 1 (BCS) schools. This year the top small school talent looks like Cal Poly wide receiver Ramses Barden.
The 6’ 6” 228 pound Barden considered declaring for the NFL Draft last year as a junior. The NFL advisory committee projected him as a fifth-round pick. He decided to return to Cal Poly for his senior season, which if history is any indicator, was a very wise move indeed, because out of those 220 small school players that I mentioned earlier, almost all went to college for their entire four years. Small school players just don't enter the draft early, even the late, great Heath Benedict came back for his senior year.
Cal Poly knows a little bit about players with NFL caliber talent. Defensive end Chris Gocong earned the Buck Buchanan Award and played in the East-West Shrine Game. Gocong also was named to the AFCA All-America Team and was chosen by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 3rd round of the 2006 NFL Draft. Cal Poly's highest picks ever; Barden, however, might just break that record in the 2009 NFL Draft.
While it is highly doubtful Barden has the kind of meteoric rise up the draft boards that CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie did last year, with a strong season and a solid post season, Senior Bowl, East West Shrine Game and NFL Scouting Combine performance, he could sneak his way into the second or third round of the 2009 NFL Draft. In fact, small school expert Josh Buchanan has him projected as the top ranked small school prospect and a possible 3rd or 4th round pick entering the 2008 season.
Barden is obviously very big, strong and athletic and while he consistently displays the ability to separate from defenders, he is not a rocket. His speed is projected to be around 4.55 to 4.60 in the 40 yard dash. Barden does however get the job done on the football field, in fact he can completely take over games at times, just ask Weber State and Idaho State. On September 15th 2007 he destroyed Weber State catching 9 passes for 219 yards and 4 TDs, and the next month (Oct 27th) against Idaho State, he embarrassed the Bengals catching 10 passes for 268 and 3 TDs. He completely dominated those games and caught the attention of NFL Scouts.
Last season (2007) Barden, led the Great West in receiving yards (1,467) receiving TDs (18) and yards per catch (25.7) in earning first-team all-league honors for the third straight season. He was named the co-Offensive Player of the Year in the Great West in 2007 and was named to his third all-Great West first game. Barden has been added to the Walter Payton Award watch two years in a row and is a 1st team 2008 pre-season division 1AA (FCS) All American.
Major Accolades:

• All-Great West First Team
  • Great West Co-Offensive Player of the Year
  • Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American
  • American Football Coaches Association All-American
  • All-Associated Press First Team
  • The Sports Network All-America First Team
  • CollegeSportsReport.com FCS First Team
  • Great West Player of the Week (Sept. 2)
  • College Sporting News National Player of the Week (Oct. 29)
Career Receiving Totals (3 Years)
  • 139 Catches, 2,947 Yards
  • 32 Touchdowns

He runs poor routes, will take 3 years to develop (like Ginn).

He'd be a good RZ target, based on his size alone. If we don't get Nicks or Britt, he'd be worth looking at in the 3rd/4th.

He could be a Vincent Jackson-type WR.

Jackson came from a small school too...Northern Colorado or something IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the bigger knocks on him is that he has trouble getting seperation. Jeff Ireland has already gone out and said that he's not interested in WR's that can't get seperation. Miami already has one in Wilford, we don't need another.

One of the bigger knocks on him is that he has trouble getting seperation. Jeff Ireland has already gone out and said that he's not interested in WR's that can't get seperation. Miami already has one in Wilford, we don't need another.

well he is big and physical he wont need much seperation if he out jumps them

He won't need to get seperation?

So, would you like to just have Pennington flail lobs all day and just hope Barden comes down with them all? Or shall we get a precise route tunner like Hakeem Nicks or Jarrett Dillard and let them get extra yardage from being open? If Barden has to go up and get every pass, you're risking yac.

DAMN RIGHT RAMSES BARDEN! BEST PROSPECT IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL RIGHT THURR. He's mad smart too. He's got a great character for this team and will be willing to work hard and learn.

He won't need to get seperation?

So, would you like to just have Pennington flail lobs all day and just hope Barden comes down with them all? Or shall we get a precise route tunner like Hakeem Nicks or Jarrett Dillard and let them get extra yardage from being open? If Barden has to go up and get every pass, you're risking yac.

i take nicks ovaer any reciever but barden in the 4th or 3rd i take him any day he will be real good he is a safe pick IMO he just that high in the draft cause of its a small school i wouldnt take nicks cause that first pick is for defence

DAMN RIGHT RAMSES BARDEN! BEST PROSPECT IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL RIGHT THURR. He's mad smart too. He's got a great character for this team and will be willing to work hard and learn.

fix his name under yo pick

i take nicks ovaer any reciever but barden in the 4th or 3rd i take him any day he will be real good he is a safe pick IMO he just that high in the draft cause of its a small school i wouldnt take nicks cause that first pick is for defence

Don't get me wrong, I like Ramses, but his route running/seperation skills could use work.

He would still need to get seperation...even though he instantly becomes a red zone threat. I still like the route running of Nicks and Dillard...that are just great at the craft.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ramses, but his route running/seperation skills could use work.

He would still need to get seperation...even though he instantly becomes a red zone threat. I still like the route running of Nicks and Dillard...that are just great at the craft.

i see were u r goin but just like i said he is a good receiver for a third or fourth

Back
Top Bottom