Randy Starks gets franchise tag | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Starks gets franchise tag

Good move, keeps that strong defensive line together for another year. $8 million isn't that bad of price to pay either.

Honestly the only way I really like this is if we can reach an extension. If we can sign him for 4 years @ 20-24 mil I'd be happy. Can groom Odrick behind him and Soliai and then lets Soliai walk after this year depending on our cap situation. Investing over 12 or so million in the defensive tackle position is too rich for my liking.

Really a no brainier. I don't think Ireland intends on using the entire salary Cap.

Worse comes to worse we pay the $8 ish Million , best case scenario we sign to long contract and the # drops.

Couldn't we have used the transition tag and saved a couple million? Is it possible we could use the transition on a guy like Smith who will be heavily coveted throughout FA?

It makes a lot of sense. His tag number is very close to what his value is IMO and the Dolphins should try to keep good players. But, looking ahead both Starks and Solai are under contract for one year. Don't be surprised if Miami picks a DT fairly highly in the draft, or looks to lock up Solai long-term.

Transition tag would've saved us money but then we run the risk of him signing a big long term deal elsewhere and our hand being forced

Back
Top Bottom