Randy Starks gets franchise tag | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Starks gets franchise tag

Good. Nice opening salvo, Jeff. Starks was the right choice. Now hopefully they get a long-term deal done.

Couldn't we have used the transition tag and saved a couple million? Is it possible we could use the transition on a guy like Smith who will be heavily coveted throughout FA?

Cb transition tag is what? $6M? Is he even worth that?

Hopefully they will continue to work on a long-term deal, it sounds like the Dolphins have been low-balling so far

My question is, how much of this move is more of a keep away from FA until we can hammer out a long term deal more than we just want to lease you for a year?

I like tag on Starks, but at the same time it looks extremely foolish to have both of our DT's on contract years.

If Starks does not do an extension, BOTH DT's are up next year. Wow. Might be a target in the draft this year.

Or they plan on keeping Soliai/Starks together for one year, letting Starks walk after this year, franchise Soliai again, or extend him, then bump Odrick inside, have Soliai/Odrick/Randle/ for 2014 and beyond.

good move, hopefully we can sort a long term deal in the next few weeks and bring the cap figure down a little

My question is, how much of this move is more of a keep away from FA until we can hammer out a long term deal more than we just want to lease you for a year?

I like tag on Starks, but at the same time it looks extremely foolish to have both of our DT's on contract years.

Why would Ireland care about next year? He has to get past this year first.

It's also possible Miami locked him in so they could trade Starks and get something in return rather then losing him with nothing other than a possible compensatory pick next year.

Why would Ireland care about next year? He has to get past this year first.

Sign of a good GM in any industry is to think about the past, present, and future.

So yes, Ireland should care about what happens next year. Hence why we drafted Johnathan Martin last year, to avoid the debacle with Jake Long and gain leverage on contract.

If Starks does not sign a long term deal, we run into a scenario in which we could potentially lose both of our starting DT's, or they gain leverage knowing both are in contract years driving up the price.

This is what leads team into cap trouble causing massive cuts.

Don't be surprised when we draft a DT in the 2nd round, would have nothing to do with next year though......

Starks is the teflon man -> nothing sticks LOL

With the draft as deep at it is with DT and with teams running the hurry up the prudent thing would be for the team to draft a DT who can run and let Solai walk next year -> and we attempt to keep Starks who is a baller

We now know that we will draft a DT in the 2nd -> 3rd rd, that is unless Starks signs a longer term deal

What kind of a contract would it take to extend him. Would a 4 year 22.5 suffice? Bunkley got a 5 year 25 last year and is younger. I think 5-6.5 would get it done.

Back
Top Bottom