Randy Starks is on a roll

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Nov 4, 2009.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ins-talking-points-randy-starks-is-on-a-roll/

2. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Last year Starks was our most productive defensive lineman with a stunning 27% metric win rate.. None of our other d-lineman were above 16%

So none of this surprises me.. I knew he was really good.

This year footballfocus has Starks listed as the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league so far-

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_...pos=DE4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numgames=1

^^ and 3 of our DE's are in the top 10 in the NFL... Parcells knows his linemen and how to build nice lines, that's for damn sure.

:rimshot:

3. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

that site is pretty neat. for everyone who's interested, Paul Soliai is 9th among DTs/NTs.

4. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

To understand what a fantastic metric score of 27% is for a 3-4 defensive end...

Andy Alleman had an exact 73% metric score last year (it was the worst on our offensive line, Satele was 2nd worst at 79%)..

Alleman's score was one of the worst of all the guards in the NFL.. So Randy Starks made opposing offensive linemen look like Andy freakin Alleman last year.

73 + 27 = 100

Last year was the first year Starks has ever played 3-4 DE.. He came from Tennessee and was a one-gap D-tackle in a 4-3.. So he was very good in his first year at 3-4 DE.. Now he has a year under his belt and is used to the position, with more experience, and is flourishing.. Plus he is only 25 yrs old so he can still get better.

He's a very talented player.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

That might not have even been Starks' biggest play of that drive though. An even bigger play was a play or two before where Sanchez read his first and second reads, and the middle of the field parted wide open to where he could have walked into the end zone...so Dirty started running up the field, and Starks got off Alan Faneca's block and took Sanchez down at the line of scrimmage.

Dirty was PISSED about that play too because he knew he had a touchdown run if he just could have gotten past Starks but Randy made a fantastic play.

6. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

After looking at the site I decided to look up all of our O and D lineman. After seeing the rankings I would thinks it's fair to say our lines are set and will only get better the next couple years.

Offensive Line
    Jake Grove #2 C
    Vernon Carey #2 T
    Jake Long #11 T
    Justin Smiley #41 G would have thought these 2 would be higher
    Donald Thomas #45 G we may need to upgrade

Randy Starks #2 DE
    Paul Soliai #9 NT
    Kendal Langford #9 DE
    Phillip Merling #10 DE

7. greasyObnoxious

Jason Taylor #7 3-4 OLB
    Sean Smith #15 CB
    surprisingly Anthony Fasano #4 TE because he's a great run blocker

whatever stat they use to determine those metrics, they are pretty good. Bell is #61, Wilson #71 at safety, Crowder is next to last at ILB.

8. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Soliai & Starks are both playing awesome, right now. You know Soliai is doing a good job when he is taking playing time from Ferg.

9. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Yeah I saw Sanchez mention that on the NFL Network replay last night right after that play happened.

He totally thought he had an easy TD there then Randy stopped him dead in his tracks.

heh

10. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

i thought he had an easy td again, like we have seen so many times down on the goaline with this defense.

11. ckparrothead

It was a heck of a play by Randy Starks. That's an All Pro guy Alan Faneca that he controlled and shed in order to chase the QB. His reaction to Dirty's moving upfield was very quick.

12. BigJP

BigJP Rookie

Were set on the D line for many many yrs. Our depth is unbelievable

13. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Thank you Mr Parcells.

14. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

He missed that play against the Texans last year, and when he made it I thought to myself boy has this guy improved. He is really playing at another level. I dont Merling losing his job has anything to do with him being lazy, I think had to do with the play of Starks. Also Soliai is playing awesome and we knew it was coming cause alot of us were saying how the defense was getting more pressure in there with Soliai than Ferg. Now Soliai is taking alot more snaps than Ferg. Who can forget Langford, he has been an anchor at th eposition since last year. Im really happy about our Dline.

15. Wadeshow

Wadeshow Rookie

The amazing thing is basically our whole D-Line is a bunch of young kids with a mentor in Ferg. I know Starks has been in the leauge for 5-6 years but at 25 he is just entering his prime.

16. Dolfan1000

Dolfan1000 Hall Of Famer

Hard to believe that Starks is only 25 years old. What a great signing.

17. JCfinfan

JCfinfan FinHeaven VIP

How long did we lock him up for? I hope at least 4 years.

18. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Quite an interesting situation to be in so soon after the new regime taking over.. It will be interesting to see if the reps that Soliai is getting increases and Ferg's reduces so as to keep him fresher longer... should this be the case and Ferguson is good for another year, I would suspect that the search for a replacement for Ferguson is postponed for another year and the ILB's/S spots are considered high on the list for next year along with WR/TE and RB.

This is why is will be crucial to see if Clemons can develop into the FS we need so that the focus D wise can be placed on ILB

19. Tailgater

Tailgater Starter

If Soliai is ranked 9th, wouldn't that put him near the bottom? How many teams play a 3-4 right now?

20. Tailgater

Tailgater Starter

Not questioning how good Starks is, but Faneca's game has slipped - a lot. He certainly is nothing like the all pro he once was.

21. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Longer-

"The Miami Dolphins stormed out of the free-agent gate early Friday, adding yet another young player. The Dolphins reached agreement with former Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks on a five-year, $21 million contract that includes $7 million worth of guaranteed money. The best part of Starks might be his upside. He is only 24 years old."

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f3718&template=with-video&confirm=true

22. greasyObnoxious

23. ckparrothead

I disagree. I have watched about four or five of the Jets' games this year and while Faneca is not quite playing at the All Pro level he used to (and did, just a year ago), to say that he is "nothing like" what he used to be is hyperbole.

24. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

Amen, we have given the delayed QB run into the end zone play up waaay to many times.