Randy Starks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dominizzo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

How do we pay this Loser 21 million dollars 5 years and 7 million guaranteed!!!

he has character issues and isnt that goood.... We were better off with kris Jenkins...Hes young and the Jets got a steal they gave up a 3rd!!! i would of done that...and we have our NT a fat one to for 6-7 years..hes only 27~~

I am really depreesed with Miami's signings.....If Pace does sigtn that will make me happier but a little....I like the Smiley Signeee but the rest stinks....

Like Torbor waste...just like Spragan...Fat man Ferguson is done and injury prone,,Mccown is a horrendous QB,,,,,,,Wilford what ajoke....

I would of been happier with

G.. Justin Smiley
    LB- Clavin PAce
    NT- Kris Jenkins
    WR- Bryant Johnson

Bahhh hwat can u do

2. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

Reggie Starks

now i liked this. we needed depth anyways.... but can he be our starter?

he has shown promise and has playhed well. he is big, has good strength, but he seems to be lazy often.... he plays very high. can someone get under his booty and get him playing low and aggressive non-stop??? i not looking for all out pass rush which he is ok at.... but i'd like to see him fire hard every play and fight the middle. thoughts???

3. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

you cant make everyone happy! i loved the picks! mccown was throwing 300 yard games left and right with the cards. Randy, extremely talented. smiley! torbor was a superbowl winning starting linebacker! Ernest wilford, straight up, is one of the most underrated players at his position. Now i need to wake up to some javon walker, calvin pace, and eugene wilson! throw in some randy moss, and im elated! hahaha

4. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

looks like you know your stuff, there is always these guys that put that negative spin on everything, some of them don´t like the players we get, because they think they are GM´s themself and can evaluate talent better then people who do this for a living and then there is these guys who start to worry about next years cap already after we signed some players with absolutely no significant bonuses to contracts, ridiculous

5. Brown42000

Brown42000 Perennial All-Pro

If Miami traded for Jenkins I would not have liked that move they would have to give up a 3rd and 5th and sign him to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal all for an overrated DT who can't stay in shape. Randy Starks is about 4 years younger and is more versatile for a 3-4 defense, this is my favorite signing right now.

6. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned Hammered

Yes, because we didn't sign big, sexy names, we had a terrible day. :rolleyes:

Today was the best free agent day the Miami Dolphins have had since.... since I can remember.

7. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

I hope U guys are right and im worng...I just hope these players pan out

8. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

Jenkins is constantly injured and overweight. No thank you.

9. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

As a DT... starks stinks. The only thing that I can think is that he would be a 3-4 DE, moving Jason Taylor to OLB. If this is the thought process... to get JT one-on-one with a Tight-End... then MAYBE it's ok.

Unfortunately, my feeling is that this guy is inferior to Steve Fifita. I guess that makes him Paul Soliai-caliber. I see $7 million in dead-money, in a guy who might not otherwise have made the team if he were not just guaranteed lots of money.

10. fishfanfromjerz

fishfanfromjerz Starter

since i live in nj and get stuck watching jet and giant games all year ( no sunday ticket) .....im pretty familiar with the jets and giant personnel..........personally, i think that torbor is a pretty decent player and will do well in miami..........just my opinion.....after watching giant games and stuff, not paying attention to stats

11. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj Banned Hammered

Starks is gonna be a 3-4 DE according to Boomer

he didn't cost us any picks, he is young and healthy

we should start whineheaven.com for the nattering nabobs

12. whatsburning

whatsburning Seasoned Veteran Hammered

This is the kind of posts I can expect in VIP?? Thanks, but I can get this on the regular board.

13. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

If you don't like Jenkins, fine. Jenkins had 38 tackles and 2.5 sacks last year. Starks had 16 tackles and 0 sacks. You're not arguing that you would rather have Starks than Jenkins, are you?

14. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj Banned Hammered

they are not gonna play the same position and Starks didn't cost 2 draft picks so why compare them?

15. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned Hammered

This is the very reason you join VIP. You never see a post like this in VIP..... NEVER! Trust me. I was in VIP almost all day and I swung into the mains for about 2 seconds and that was enough for me to run right back to VIP.

He didn't start this thread in VIP and for obvious reasons.

16. Fresh

Fresh Banned Hammered

Should be a way to "neg" instead of "thanks"

17. DonShula84

DonShula84 Sporty Don

Almost completely illegible...

18. Billshater

Billshater Starter

I agree. I think we had some good signings today. I just hope we can still land pace.

19. rayfinkle5

rayfinkle5 Starter

Two things are obvious to me:

1. You care very deeply about our football team. For that I commend you.
    2. The first couple days of free agency can be an emotional time. I think you are overwhelmed and perhaps need to take a step back, slow down and take a deep breath.

While I am not asking you to drink the Kool Aid that others are apparently addicted to I would like to help you see a bit of the light. Lets start with Randy Starks. I would not qualify him as a "loser". Instead of focussing on best available talent we need to look more at opportunity and fit. Starks is a good fit here in Miami. He has good size, speed, and most importantly he is young. You like Jenkins because he is 27 and only cost the Jets a third rounder (most likely a punter!). Starks just turned 25 and cost us nothing but money...and a lot less than Jenkins. Lets consider the DT's who have signed and how much they have garnered.

Kris Jenkins 27...5 years, $35 million with $20 million guaranteed ($7 million avg.)
    Tommy Kelly 27...7 years, $50 million ($7 million avg.)
    Damione Lewis 30...3 years, $14 million ($4.6 million avg.)

Kelly's ridiculous early signing with the Raiders didn't help any team looking to sign a free agent DT. While the money spent on Starks seems high for his career #'s when you compare it to the other player signed it puts it into perspective. Again, I am not saying he is the best player there at the position. But when you take size, speed, age, ability, fit, and cost to the team, Starks seems like a good signing in Miami.

Next, calling Torbor a "waste" and "just like Spragan" is a bit much. You are comparing a 31 year old who is declining in his career to a 27 year old who seems to still be improving. Either way the signing adds depth to the position. I personally will take the improving 27 year old.

Finally, your comments on McCown and Wilford seem written out of frustration. McCown is here to push Beck for the starting job. Should Beck step, as I expect, then we have a backup QB with starting experience. I am not a fan of McCown but I don't think he is "horrendous". Keep in mind he is replacing Cleo Lemon. I call that an upgrade. As for Wilford, I too prefer B. Johnson. I think everyone knows that by now. But Wilford is of the same mold. Big, strong, and sure handed. That is all we needed brother. A nice, big possession target opposite the speedy, smaller Ginn.

I hope this helps you some. Best of luck during the rest of the free agent period.

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea like Gms never make mistakes lol. We had a GM that traded for Feeley, signed Jeno James and Reggie Howard. You may see those bonuses as insignificant but for the level of players they were plenty significant. I like the Smiley signing and have always liked Starks(not his contract) but just because these guys get paid millions does not make thier decisions any more right. Mueller and Speilman got paid pretty well also.

21. Dolfan1000

Dolfan1000 Hall Of Famer

Dom, you have been around here a long time, and I know you are a passionate about your Fins, and especially about FA and the draft, but like the poster above said, you really are off base here. For one, we are in NO position to give up two picks for Kris Jenkins. He is not as young as you make him out to be, number one. But beyond that, we just have too many positions that need an infusion of young talent to give up that kind of compensation. Not to mention the $. Is he a good player? Sure. Is he dominant? He was at a point, and can be. Is he a player that when I look at the FA moves, I say to myself WE HAD TO GET HIM? No, not by a long shot.

As for Starks, calling him a loser is silly. Do you know much about him? Clearly not. What you should know is he is a 24 year old UFA (which is rare in itself). John Beck was DRAFTED at 26. Just some perspective. No, his production hasnt been through the roof, but he was signed based on pure skills and potential. As a 3-4 DE, he will be playing a totally different position, with different roles and responsibilities, which should hopefully lead to dominant play from the young man. Is the contract big? Sure, but whose contract isnt? Jerry friggin Porter got 30 million dollars. But lets be clear, as far as DTs go, its a fair contract.

You need to open your eyes Dom and see the big picture. We werent one player away. It wasnt going to happen. We didnt need any 30+ year old FAs who wanted to cash in one last time. Every player we added (and potentially Pace) is in his prime. You have to understand just how important that is for a team that has missed on oh so many draft picks. In just one day, we have infused the team with young, ascending talent, and have completely made over the personnel in our front seven, with more to come in Douglas and Pace. It is critical that we upgrade the overall talent, as in 25 new players, and that just would not happen by bringing in Samuel and Briggs. We would have Samuel, Briggs, and then Derrick Robinson, Anthony Bryant and Donnie Spragan.

PS Torbor is good enough for the SB winners, but not for 1-15? Yikes, interesting logic.

22. Vendigo

Vendigo Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat at a loss as to why people complain about Starks' contract. We're talking 7 million guaranteed in the course of 5 years - that's roughly 1.5 million in guaranteed money a year. Not a huge deal by any means. 21 million might sound like much, but in reality he's probably not going to earn half of it before we either extend him (if he pans out) or cut him for an insignificant cap hit (if he doesn't). This is a very low risk contract; even if Starks was to get in trouble again and busted big time, we'd be able to cut him in 2009 for a preciously small cap hit.

23. alen1

alen1 A True Fan

This thread reminds me of the riot started by dolphins1972 in the Pace thread.

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I respect Dom's opnion. How come any opinion that does not say we did great or even good on something is given less weight than the continual PArcells is god or insert name is god. It happned last year with CAm and Previously with Saban. How many times did we hear These guys really know what they are doing in the off season. I'm pretty in the middle of these signings but I dont think you can dismiss that we did sign a guy with a somewhat checkered past and had like 12 tackles to a pretty damn good contract. I advocated signing Starks so I think i'm far less biased than most on him here. We all shall see. I just find it funny when we are jumping for joy over signing Ernest Wilford to a 4 yr 13 million dollar contract.

25. Sunny Fish

Sunny Fish FinHeaven VIP

ok............you know how we are always talking about how certain players are "a product of the system?" Well, be patient and watch these "rejects" flourish in what is ultimately is going to be Bill Parcell's system. He will make most of these players stars through Tony Sparano and the other coaches. You have to trust the man. He's filling a lot of holes with this money and God knows, we needed a lot of players, not just one or two. I put my faith in Parcells. When it comes to this game, he knows his stuff!

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The same was said about Jimmy Johnson, Saban and so on. I feel good about Parcells but Im not just blindly praising everything he does.

27. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

amen

28. kbeath

kbeath Come on fellas in 07

If you only knew football... You cant tell a dt production from their stats. I watchd Starks at md and he has a higher ceiling than paying draft picks for a guy who is constantly over weight

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well to the comment about Torber being good enough for the super bowl winners.

There have been many players for super bowl teams that ended up doing nothing.

30. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

I'll take Ernest Wilford over Cleo Lemon...............ANY DAY!!!

31. Fin-omenal

Fin-omenal "Now, get off my block"

Im about 12 hours removed from VIP and honestly bro, it makes me wanna log off until I get my VIP membership...

It's like eating Filet's and drinking Dom...then eating bean's and weenie's with orange Kool-Aid..

Im miserable:boohoo:

32. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 FinHeaven Elite

Jenkins move will hurt the Jets, they just gave him 20 million guarenteed, he has been overweight and is moving to the 3-4 which he has never played before.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Since VIP is so great(Im not knocking it since I have other bills right now) its amazing the level of posts on the main board from VIPers never seem to be so much above us bean and weenie average joes.

34. Fin-omenal

Fin-omenal "Now, get off my block"

Your taking it out of context bro, not EVERY person in the main forum is a "bad poster" and not everyone in the VIP is a "great poster"

But until you've been there you cant understand what I mean.

If you dont believe me...give it a shot.

35. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Jenkins at one time was a dominant player, but let's remember 2 things.

1.He has had 2 very serious knee injuries
    2.He is being brought in by the Jets to be NT in a 3-4; a position he has never played.

It's hard to tell how a guy that has no experience in one scheme, especially coming off of injuries, will do. Plus, the guys beside Jenkins aren't exactly Julius Peppers, Brenston Buckner (who played along Jenkins during his best years), or Mike Rucker.

Starks is coming off his worst year by far, but for his career he's been a solid player. Also got to remember, he is a life time Dolphin fan. I remember the year he was at the combine he showed up with a Miami Jersey # 72, with Undefeated for the name. He wants to be here. That's a plus.

36. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

I didn't know that Starks was a Phin Phan, it's always a plus to get as many of those guys as we can.

Of course you want talent, but talent plus an existing love for the Dolphins is even better.

37. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

the thing I get from most of the guys we bring in is that they want to be here. We are getting decent players that, while not elite, could have gotten a hell of a lot more money had they gone else where.

It says a lot about Huizenga(despite his lack of football knowledge, he's a good owner), the aura of the franchise, and of course Sparano/Tuna/Ireland.

A lot of guys make moves based on greed, but there are also those that go where they want to be. Reggie Torbor sounds like he wants to be here. Kevin Carter (when we went after him a couple years ago) wanted to be here. Even though we haven't signed him yet, it sounds like Calvin Pace wants to be here (though if he goes to the Jets it's a moeny move IMO). Money not withstanding, most players probably wouldn't want to go to just any 1-15 team (though if RamCam was still here, they might not come).

38. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Who took less money to be here. Did not see that happen yesterday with any of those players.

39. realdolphin

realdolphin Starter

I have to say that Starks is a very inteligent move . looks like theres no doubt we are going to use the 3-4 D . so what happens if ferguson gets hurt ? ..you only had solai ... now with starks we have versatility and starks can play the NT . correct me if im grong

40. realdolphin

realdolphin Starter

now im starting to think we wont go after chris long