Rank Tannehill's Arm Strength, is it top 10?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Penthos, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

So a co-worker (Washington "r-words" fan) points out that there is Mike Wallace to Miami specualtion on the front page of NFL.com with pictures of Tannehill and Wallace side by side. I casually said to him "It makes sense, Mike Wallace can stretch the field and Tanne has a cannon". So he says RT's arm isn't even top 10. (Bear in mind this is not a reflection of accuracy)

Here is his top 10 list:
    1. Rogers
    2. Flacco
    3. RG3
    4. Kaopernick
    5. Vick
    6. Freeman
    7. Cutler
    8. Stafford
    9. Cam
    10. Ryan

I disagree. .. A, I don't think I agree overall with his list, and B, I think Tannehill should be in there. Maybe top 7ish? Am I wrong? Are my Dolphins colored lenses deceiving me yet again?

2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I honestly wouldn't even know how to measure this -- and really, isn't the deep ball more about timing, placement and touch than arm strength?

I'll say this, though. I watched Ryan Tannehill rifle some passes into tight windows and I definitely think the guy has a live arm. How does it compare to Joe Flacco? I have no frigging clue, but he can definitely put enough mustard on the ball to get it where it needs to be.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

No idea. But he has enough to make any throw.

4. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Hard to say he has a cannon for an arm, but he has MORE THAN ENOUGH arm strength. That's all that matters. Top 10 sounds about right I think. Not top 7 (Cam, Rodgers, RG3, Vick, Cutler, Stafford, Flacco)

5. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

I think people start compiling these lists and always manage to confuse skill with strength. Rodgers is a great QB but he doesn't have a great arm.

Can't say where Ryan ranks amongst his peers......all I know is that he has looked perfectly capable of making every throw.

6. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

It is at least debatable that he is top ten. It's hard to say but I would put him 7-10.

7. DeeperImage

DeeperImage FinHeaven VIP

I've watched Matt Ryan since he came into the league (I go to many Falcons games since i live in ATL and my BFF has season tickets) and I've watched RT and I can say that RT seems to throw with more velocity and precision than Matty Ice.

8. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

9. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

It's strong enough to the point it doesn't matter.

10. scodoublet

scodoublet Anywhere. Anytime. Donator

Not sure, but RT sure can fire them down field when called upon.

11. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Well-Known Member

What's his Arm Strength rating on Madden? That might be a good barometer.

12. alexwr4

alexwr4 Starter

Rodgers doesn´t have a great arm? why did you say that?

13. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I would bet good money his arm is stronger than Ryan's, He is up there and has nothing to feel ashamed of in regards to arm strength.

14. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Yup, definitely not a cannon arm, but more than enough to make all the throws. From what I've seen at least, I think.

15. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

easily top ten. but some of those guys on the top 10 list, some have about the same, maybe some of them are tied? and where is big ben on that list? for me, having watched all of them, he's probably number 1.

16. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Well let me put it to you this way John Elway was widely regarded as having the biggest arm of the class of 83 and maybe even of all time in terms this discussion and I watch him on ESPN throw a ball from endzone to endzone with no pads. In a game however that changes completely and accuracy comes into play, kinda like a long drive competition in golf, if it was easy to drive a 400+ yard drive accurately everyone would be working on it.

Elway had a cannon, Marino was just under him in terms of length, Favre, Vick, Cunningham all slingers and one of the biggest arms ever was believe it or not, Jeff George.

Ranking arms:

Elway/Cunningham either 1 or 2 take your pick which one.
    George at 3
    Favre at 4
    Vick at 5
    and finally Marino at 6th or so, there are some others who could arguably be included one being Russell dude had a huge arm to go with his huge gut.

So if the OP's list above holds true and 1 and 2 is Rogers and Flacco I can assure you they are not Elway and Cunningham in terms of arm strength, more like Vick level so that would mean 1 through 5 on the OP"s list are a wash in terms of strength and I can see that. To be honest I'd put Tannehill right now on level with Cutler, they both have the arm to sling if they need to get it down field.

17. MiZFiT

MiZFiT FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Accuracy > Arm strength

He happens to have a great combo of both :up:

18. Kornnut

Kornnut Well-Known Member

RT has a good arm that will get better with some time/technical teaching. Having a cannon is a good thing, but you gotta be able to get it in the range of the wr. Throwing a deep ball over a wr head or out of bounds doesn't do much.

19. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Arm strength to the point of?

I can't think of any starting NFL QB that can't throw a 60 yard bomb. It's more about touch and timing.

20. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't think he has a rocket arm. but damn does he throw a beautiful ball. seriously, it's not homer-ism... if I had to describe his throwing style i'd call him a finesse thrower. he can put the mustard on the ball but I wouldn't say top 10 arm strength.

21. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

as long as you can make all the throws in the NFL, it doesn't matter just how strong your arm is. Tannehill can make all the throws.

22. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

If Miami does sign Wallace, we'll find out for sure I suppose. I really think some of you are underestimating him though.

23. LandShark13

LandShark13 A True Fan

Here is all you need to know about Ryan Tannehill's arm strength. It's strong enough to make any and every throw on the football field. Who has the strongest arm in the league? hell for all we know its some backup berried on someones roster.

24. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

25. j0hnny63

j0hnny63 bon jon bovi

Jamarcus = #1

26. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Tannehill def has better arm strength than Matt Ryan. One of the knocks coming out for Matt Ryan was his arm strength in fact.

Here is a tidbit about Matt Ryan coming out:

27. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

Tannehill can throw out route to the opposite sideline, 20 yards down the field on a rope. That's all I need to know.

28. Digital

Digital Starter

Tannehill has a strong arm, no doubt. He could lay the ball up for Wallace to run under probably 70 yards in the air. If the line can keep him upright that long then the receiver should have created separation long before that. So, no issue with arm strength down field. In fact, the toughest arm throws are the outs to the far side of the field which is Tannehill's bread and butter.

But if I had to rate arm strength, here would be my roughest of guesses off the top of my head.

1. Flacco
    2. Stafford
    3. Newton
    4. Rivers
    5. Cutler
    6. Kaepernick
    7. Ryan
    8. Rogers
    9. Rothlisberger (so?)
    10. RGIII

So strong armed guys like Tannehill, Freeman, Weedon, and maybe Palmer are all vying for spots 7-10 with the guys listed.

Notice that Brady, Peyton, Eli, Brees, Luck, Wilson and several other good QB's aren't even in the top 15 of arm strength. Only Peyton really has any issues slinging the ball deep, and Thomas and Decker seemed to do just fine with him.

Arm strength is fun to watch, but is very overrated as a QBtalent.

29. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

I'll take Kaepernick's fastball over any of those,except maybe Rodgers'!!!

30. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

You guys are forgetting about Chad Henne! So sad.

31. z926538

z926538 Rookie

It's not that we forget. Some traumatic experiences your brain chooses to ignore!

32. mike1012

mike1012 Member

you obviously haven't watched Rodgers at all. he has a God Darn howitzer for an arm. besides arm strength is overrated. nobody ever accused montana of having a cannon. like was said before accuracy and timing trumps arm strength. ryan leaf had a big arm how did that work out

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

christian ponder! ponder makes pennington look like elway.

33. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Good points and I agree with most. But timing and accuracy can sometimes be taken away by great Defenses.
    Having a cannon arm, that can squeeze throws into tight windows, gives a huge edge in that regard.
    Look at Pennington for example, great accuracy. A wr may be open when Pennington begins his throw.
    But by the time the ball reaches it's target, the defender has closed the gap considerably, leading to an incomplete pass or no run after the catch opportunity.

Of course, having a cannon doesn't solve accuracy issues.

34. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

RT has a live arm -- much better than Matt Ryan, that's for sure. However, he doesn't have as strong an arm as Flacco.

What he DOES have is a quick release and an excellent arm -- plenty good enough to throw downfield deep. Watch game tape on him, and look at how many times he's throwing downfield to WRs that are slower than the DBs -- yet he almost always puts it to where the WR or no-one can make the catch [most often incomplete, due to extremely slowfooted WRs, or, in the case of a faster WRs, dropped balls or otherwise incomplete].

One thing I noticed, however, is that Tanny couldn't always step into his throws due to poor OL play and/or sprint outs... he most always still have enough on the ball to make the completion or give it a chance to be completed.

LD

35. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Kaepernick has a major fastball, HOWEVER, he also has a major windup and slow release to go with it.

Good thing the read/option usually buys him extra time -- along w. the far and away best OL in the game. Otherwise that slow release would cost him some bigtime hits.

LD

36. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

This just goes to show, you can have the arm, but if you don't have the smarts to play in the NFL you won't last very long.

As far as Tannehill, he's got quite an arm and seems to have the smarts, we just need to get him some more explosive and consistent tools to work with.

37. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

How is Rothlisberger not on that top 10 list?

38. littlemarino

littlemarino Dan is the Man

There is only one way to test arm strength.
    [​IMG]

39. PJack

PJack A True Fan

If QB was measured by arm strength then Jamarcus Russel and Jeff George would be Canton bound. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Steve Young don't/didn't have great arms and they came out just fine.

As far as pure arm strength right now I'm thinking Flacco, Stafford, Vick, Cutler, Newton, Kap are top five. Rothesberger, Freeman, Rogers. RT, RG3 are in the 2nd 5 discussion.

40. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Is this starters only? If this list includes back ups, Ryan Mallett would be top 5.