Rank Tannehill's Arm Strength, is it top 10? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill's Arm Strength, is it top 10?

Well let me put it to you this way John Elway was widely regarded as having the biggest arm of the class of 83 and maybe even of all time in terms this discussion and I watch him on ESPN throw a ball from endzone to endzone with no pads. In a game however that changes completely and accuracy comes into play, kinda like a long drive competition in golf, if it was easy to drive a 400+ yard drive accurately everyone would be working on it.

Elway had a cannon, Marino was just under him in terms of length, Favre, Vick, Cunningham all slingers and one of the biggest arms ever was believe it or not, Jeff George.

Ranking arms:

Elway/Cunningham either 1 or 2 take your pick which one.
George at 3
Favre at 4
Vick at 5
and finally Marino at 6th or so, there are some others who could arguably be included one being Russell dude had a huge arm to go with his huge gut.

So if the OP's list above holds true and 1 and 2 is Rogers and Flacco I can assure you they are not Elway and Cunningham in terms of arm strength, more like Vick level so that would mean 1 through 5 on the OP"s list are a wash in terms of strength and I can see that. To be honest I'd put Tannehill right now on level with Cutler, they both have the arm to sling if they need to get it down field.

RT has a good arm that will get better with some time/technical teaching. Having a cannon is a good thing, but you gotta be able to get it in the range of the wr. Throwing a deep ball over a wr head or out of bounds doesn't do much.

Arm strength to the point of?

I can't think of any starting NFL QB that can't throw a 60 yard bomb. It's more about touch and timing.

I don't think he has a rocket arm. but damn does he throw a beautiful ball. seriously, it's not homer-ism... if I had to describe his throwing style i'd call him a finesse thrower. he can put the mustard on the ball but I wouldn't say top 10 arm strength.

If Miami does sign Wallace, we'll find out for sure I suppose. I really think some of you are underestimating him though.

Here is all you need to know about Ryan Tannehill's arm strength. It's strong enough to make any and every throw on the football field. Who has the strongest arm in the league? hell for all we know its some backup berried on someones roster.

I've watched Matt Ryan since he came into the league (I go to many Falcons games since i live in ATL and my BFF has season tickets) and I've watched RT and I can say that RT seems to throw with more velocity and precision than Matty Ice.

Tannehill def has better arm strength than Matt Ryan. One of the knocks coming out for Matt Ryan was his arm strength in fact.

Here is a tidbit about Matt Ryan coming out:

Negatives: Lacks the arm strength to challenge the deep secondary, as his long throws tend to flutter or hang up long enough for defenders to attack the ball in flight (see 2006 Brigham Young and Wake Forest contests and 2007 Massachusetts and Virginia Tech games)...Needs to do a better job of planting his feet to get more zip behind his long throws...Has inconsistent and adequate velocity when firing the ball deep...Weakest area of his game is exposed when he attempts to fire the deep ball, as the pass tends to lack accuracy...Runs too hot and cold when trying to air the ball out, as his long throws lack trajectory...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-ryan?id=310

Tannehill can throw out route to the opposite sideline, 20 yards down the field on a rope. That's all I need to know.

Tannehill has a strong arm, no doubt. He could lay the ball up for Wallace to run under probably 70 yards in the air. If the line can keep him upright that long then the receiver should have created separation long before that. So, no issue with arm strength down field. In fact, the toughest arm throws are the outs to the far side of the field which is Tannehill's bread and butter.

But if I had to rate arm strength, here would be my roughest of guesses off the top of my head.

1. Flacco
2. Stafford
3. Newton
4. Rivers
5. Cutler
6. Kaepernick
7. Ryan
8. Rogers
9. Rothlisberger (so?)
10. RGIII

So strong armed guys like Tannehill, Freeman, Weedon, and maybe Palmer are all vying for spots 7-10 with the guys listed.

Notice that Brady, Peyton, Eli, Brees, Luck, Wilson and several other good QB's aren't even in the top 15 of arm strength. Only Peyton really has any issues slinging the ball deep, and Thomas and Decker seemed to do just fine with him.

Arm strength is fun to watch, but is very overrated as a QBtalent.

You guys are forgetting about Chad Henne! So sad.

Back
Top Bottom