Rank this year's draft QBs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank this year's draft QBs

allsilverdreams

Starter
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
It appears there is a lot of love for Mayfield,Allen and Rosen .
Who are your top QBs in this draft 1 through 5.

1. Allen
2.Rosen
3.Mayfield
4.Jackson
5.Darnold

1. Darnold - well rounded, has some flaws but is young. Tough guy with good mantality. Played in big games and big setting NFL won't be over his head. High football IQ. Turnovers are a worry but things he can do to improve (grip strength, shorten release)

2. Rosen - most polished, great footwork NFL type motion and release. Rubs people the wrong way (attitude vs being bored?) Not much room to grow phyaically but will get smarter, good in the pocket but haven't personally seen him throw in the run or be creative. Highest floor of the group

3. Allen - stupid meaaurables, proyotype body with a cannon attached to his shoulder. Accruacy issues that better recievers at senior bowl seemed to help quiet the critics some. By far has the biggest variance definitely has the highest ceiling due to overall tools. But also carries the biggest bust potential imo due to accuracy and competition

4. Mayfield - gamer, playmaker but also comes from a system and a conference that nobody plays defense. Seems to get caught in headlight's (look at Rose bowl OT). Big personality won't be shook by the NFL lights. Imo def needs a year to get some of the normal NFL things down but could be the next Russell Wilson; issues is he could also be manzel (immature and not willing to adapt his game)

5. Jackson - best athlete by far but reminds me of RG3, super thin run first guy. Perfect for today's college game but everyone in the NFL is fast and just seems klunky as a QB. Needs a year or two with an offensive coach to be close to ready.

My order of preference is we draft one....
1.Allen - can sit a year with gase his upside is Rodgers which is just exciting
2. Mayfield - again needs to sit but can move around and hide holes in the o-line
3. Rosen - polished and can learn quick but does his attitude fit gase?

1. Allen (unreal upside with some bust possibility thrown in)

2) Rosen (most NFL ready but ??? his physicality @NFL level)

3. Mayfield (obvious size and intangible issues but the most natural "playmaker" IMO)

4. Darnold (reminds me of too many USC QBs who always look way better in college than Pros)

5. Jackson (obvious great athlete impersonating a QB -- pure prospect project type -- unworthy of R1 IMO)

1) Darnold
2) Mayfield
3) Allen
4) Rosen
5) Jackson

Isn't anyone concerned that the rankings of the top 4 (Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen) are all over the place. Are there 4 really good prospects or 0?

Will they be Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Losman or Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder or Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, and Grossman?

I don't think there has ever been a draft where 4 first round QBs worked out. Three happened once. So, which two will bust?

all the allen love being the top qb is crazy. yes the potential is high, but the bust potential is the absolute highest. I like the kid dont get me wrong, but 56% in college against the teams he played, while in a west coast system is screaming red flags.

things you want in a qb:
1. is he a winner? allen won games but nothing special
2. is he accurate? uh career pct is 56.2%, so thats a no. he has a big problem throwing to his left with accuracy, and not very good at timing throws. which you could clearly see at the combine
3. is he a leader? havent seen anything that screams leadership skills better than lets say tannehill. so i will say up in the air
4. attributes, football IQ? Huge arm, athletic as all hell for his size, and size. he checks the boxes. I havent seen anything to show me that he is not competent to play the position

the kid is high risk high reward.

last question. who is the last qb to come out of college with horrible accuracy issues and be successful? stafford career college stats is 57, but his last year he threw for over 61%.

Only Jackson will be remaining at 11 and that would be a horrible pick at 11.

Mayfield - The "It Factor" accurate, inspiring leader embraced by teammates and winner overcoming multiple personal odds to make it to where he is so I don't hold his height against him.

Rosen - apparently the most natural QB available; probably the smartest which helps in processing defensive info in micro-seconds. This kid's dad was nearly appointed to a lofty position in Obama's administration so money's no issue; hard to tell if competitive fire burns within.

Darnold - most upside but loads of mental errors this year in a competitive conference and then there's that USC QB cloud that hangs over all of them

Allen - sure his team sucked but did they suck more than the teams he was facing in his conference? And outside his conference, wasn't he more "meh" ?? Jeff George vibes

Jackson - Good local kid from Pompano Beach; apparently a dedicated hard-worker but a project for sure, with success as a crapshoot

all the allen love being the top qb is crazy. yes the potential is high, but the bust potential is the absolute highest. I like the kid dont get me wrong, but 56% in college against the teams he played, while in a west coast system is screaming red flags.

things you want in a qb:
1. is he a winner? allen won games but nothing special
2. is he accurate? uh career pct is 56.2%, so thats a no. he has a big problem throwing to his left with accuracy, and not very good at timing throws. which you could clearly see at the combine
3. is he a leader? havent seen anything that screams leadership skills better than lets say tannehill. so i will say up in the air
4. attributes, football IQ? Huge arm, athletic as all hell for his size, and size. he checks the boxes. I havent seen anything to show me that he is not competent to play the position

the kid is high risk high reward.

last question. who is the last qb to come out of college with horrible accuracy issues and be successful? stafford career college stats is 57, but his last year he threw for over 61%.

wouldn't disagree -- but the same (essentially) was being said about Marino -- tho Dan was certainly more "accomplished" entering the Pros. But IMO this kid Allen is the closest I've seen to Marino in a number of ways -- dude can throw the rock all over the field with shocking velocity and I believe underrated accuracy. But hey -- I did NOT sleep in a Holiday Inn last night so I reserve the right to be wrong. That said, I'd have to take the kid because from the first time I saw him -- it was like WOW!!!

Definite risk but the upside (assuming great coaching -- which I am uncertain we have) is a monster!!!!

Why each are no bueno for the Dolphins...

Rosen - needs an Oline. Already has concussions.

Allen - If you wanted to loft a ball 70+ yards downfield to Stills or Grant every play, he'd be perfect. Can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Darnold - He's never seen a window too tight that he won't try. Turnover prone in the NFL.

Mayfield - Precise and accurate, yet short and not quite fast enough or thick enough on the scramble to hold up.

Jackson - A one year wonder waiting to happen. He'll be fun for a year or two until he inevitably gets injured with his slight frame. His mechanics are laughable when throwing.

I haven't seen most of the rest, but Kyle Lauletta is on my radar and I'd take him later on over these guys...

Back
Top Bottom