Ranking all 32 Offensive lines in the NFL...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking all 32 Offensive lines in the NFL......

jvw

Starter
Reaction score
They have us ranked at 20 before the season starts, I will take that any day of the week.....I am not sure who football savages is but I like what I read....

http://footballsavages.com/2014/06/28/ranking-all-32-offensive-line/

[h=2]20.) Miami Dolphins[/h]Starters: Branden Albert, Dallas Thomas, Mike Pouncey, Shelley Smith, Ja’Waun James
Contributors: Billy Turner, Tyler Larsen
The Dolphins offensive line was the talk of league last year, for a lot of the wrong reasons. They made some major upgrades for 2014 including their big free agent splash Branden Albert. Albert is a consistently above average performer if he can stay healthy. I loved what they did in the draft by taking Billy Turner and Ja’Waun James. James should start right away and Turner won’t be far behind. Billy Turner is Sean Taylor trapped in an offensive lineman’s body.

That's certainly an improvement, although it looks like they didn't take into account Pouncey's injury/absence which will clearly affect the line at least at the start of the season.

That's certainly an improvement, although it looks like they didn't take into account Pouncey's injury/absence which will clearly affect the line at least at the start of the season.

Good point, would like to see how that line handles his absence in training camp......

Tackles are without a doubt an upgrade. May see a hit with run blocking when it comes to the guards, and Pouncey's absence won't help that, but we're not going to see guys crash in from the edge like they did basically all of last year. Also opens up the screen game a lot since our tackles could barely jog.

Left tackle is an upgrade, outside of that who knows. The guards on the surface seem a downgrade.

The guards on the surface seem a downgrade.

i don't understand how you can think that. John Jerry had consistent been our worst lineman for multiple seasons, until last year's fiasco. Smith would surely have to be considered a PUSH at worst. at LG we had a undrafted free agent starting, who is still on the team. whoever wins the spot whether it is Thomas, Turner or Brenner with an extra year of development has to be considered better than what we had at the position last season.

finally have some depth with Larsen, turner, garner, and Brenner as back ups. hopefully dallas steps up, if not there are a couple hungry guys behind him.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Left tackle is an upgrade, outside of that who knows. The guards on the surface seem a downgrade.

we got a lot more athletic up front. which is what we need in a zone scheme

You can blow as much pixi dust up your own backsides but the fact remains we have only 1
proven offensive line man worth a damn starting the season...
We'll find out soon enough where we stand when we play against an up an coming Buffalo defensive line the second game

They have us ranked at 20 before the season starts, I will take that any day of the week.....I am not sure who football savages is but I like what I read....

http://footballsavages.com/2014/06/28/ranking-all-32-offensive-line/

[h=2]20.) Miami Dolphins[/h]Starters: Branden Albert, Dallas Thomas, Mike Pouncey, Shelley Smith, Ja’Waun James
Contributors: Billy Turner, Tyler Larsen
The Dolphins offensive line was the talk of league last year, for a lot of the wrong reasons. They made some major upgrades for 2014 including their big free agent splash Branden Albert. Albert is a consistently above average performer if he can stay healthy. I loved what they did in the draft by taking Billy Turner and Ja’Waun James. James should start right away and Turner won’t be far behind. Billy Turner is Sean Taylor trapped in an offensive lineman’s body.

Not knowing who the site and link given are does not give any credibility to what they have to say, even though you may like it.

I have to believe anyone, whose opinion may matter, is waiting to see our guys play some. JMO

You can blow as much pixi dust up your own backsides but the fact remains we have only 1
proven offensive line man worth a damn starting the season..
We'll find out soon enough where we stand when we play against an up an coming Buffalo defensive line the second game

Don't think we will have to wait that long. Mr. Bill has months to prepare for attacking this OL, and it could get ugly for RT IF these guys do not step up.

By saying we downgraded, you would have to say that John Jerry and Richie Incognito are better fits for the ZBS than Dallas Thomas and Shelley Smith. That would be a very hard argument to make imo. Scheme fit alone makes our current guards an upgrade.

I think this is the first time since Philibin arrived that he has the athletic offensive lineman needed to run his system. I think the unit could be average with a chance to be better than average as the season goes on and players gain the cohesiveness that an offensive line needs.

The loss of Pouncey is a big blow and there are still question marks, but essentially trading out Martin for Albert is going from well below average at LT to above average at the position. James should be an instant upgrade at RT. Neither Jerry or Incognito fit the system very well, while Turner and Thomas were athletic enough to play left tackle in college. Interested to see how it plays out.

By saying we downgraded, you would have to say that John Jerry and Richie Incognito are better fits for the ZBS than Dallas Thomas and Shelley Smith. That would be a very hard argument to make imo. Scheme fit alone makes our current guards an upgrade.

Dallas Thomas couldn't crack the lineup last year when incognito was suspended so how is automatically an upgrade over him.. Keller got playing time while Dallas continued to sit. At this point Thomas is not an upgrade to anybody maybe he shall prove to be. as for Smith he struggled badly in passing protection and also was not good enough to take an injured lineman's spot.
Now could they both be upgrades, its quite possible but at this point there is no way that Thomas who was a backup that found no playing time at all last year with two guys suspended is an upgrade. Jerry and Smith is probably awash but overall that's still a downgrade with Thomas starting

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Not knowing who the site and link given are does not give any credibility to what they have to say, even though you may like it.

I have to believe anyone, whose opinion may matter, is waiting to see our guys play some. JMO

You8 just don't get it. If the reports are positive its very credible, if they are negative they know nothing.

Preseason will tell us about both the draft class and the new offensive line coach. It took both Webb and Sims about 3 years to to make it happen in the Marino years as all pros as a reference.

Preseason will tell us about both the draft class and the new offensive line coach. It took both Webb and Sims about 3 years to to make it happen in the Marino years as all pros as a reference.

Well Webb was a probowler from year one as for an all pro yes it took three years but he was a top tackle right out of the gate. We definitely are not talking about players that struggled to even get on the field like many of our guys

Back
Top Bottom