realignment anyone for it? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

realignment anyone for it?

Miami
San Diego
New York
Seattle

This is what matters to us Miami fans the most.

I get awesome trips with lots of other things to do!

Old rivalries are neat and all, and I do enjoy the rivalries that we have but I would trade them all in a heart beat to not be guaranteed all of these cold away games that we get.

I don't understand, how is it a head scratcher that they did it the way they did? Most of the big rivalries are still there and, for example, there was no reason for the Cardinals to be in the NFC East or the Saints, Panthers or Falcons in the NFC West.

Dallas in the east.

Dolphins are in the east (coast), The heat are in the atlantic(ocean?), the marlins are in the east, just the way it goes i guess.

Miami
San Diego
New York
Seattle

This is what matters to us Miami fans the most.

I get awesome trips with lots of other things to do!

Definitely have to keep the Jets in the same division with Miami... Put Indy in the same division as the Patriots and the rivalries have not stopped (within the AFCE that is)

I've been complaining about being stuck in the AFC North East since the idiot owner decided to stay and not go to the AFC South. It's a big disadvantage to log all those miles every year. It's true that our division rivals also log the miles south to visit us so it's a big albatros on our entire division. Rivalries Shmilvaries, every week is a rivalry.

F that, I love playing the Jets 2 times a year, and wanting to kick the **** out of them 2 times a year.

I've been complaining about being stuck in the AFC North East since the idiot owner decided to stay and not go to the AFC South. It's a big disadvantage to log all those miles every year. It's true that our division rivals also log the miles south to visit us so it's a big albatros on our entire division. Rivalries Shmilvaries, every week is a rivalry.

If we played the south teams , other than jacksonville would the time travel really be the big of a difference on a plane, compared to the east teams? I mean what are we talking about an hour or two? It's not like they are riding a greyhound.

Definitely have to keep the Jets in the same division with Miami... Put Indy in the same division as the Patriots and the rivalries have not stopped (within the AFCE that is)

I'd be fine with replacing the Jets with the Giants. Doesn't matter to me.

New York City!

:iwantmore:

The NFL won't shuffle the docket. To much revenue to lose and it doesn't help with the potential of a team leaving the division like Buffalo.

I agree with the OP and have made several threads about this topic back when it was an issue. The NFL is throwing money away with the way it is right now. The jets are my most hated rival right now, but if we were playing the jags, bucs, and saints or falcons twice a year it would take about two years for everyone to forget our old rivals. But that is just the start. Other natural rivals like jets/giants, or san fran/oak, or ravens/skins would become HUGE new natural rivals that would quickly make everyone forget the old cross nation rivals. It would automatically increase attendence, and cut team travel cost, as well as cause more of a college feel.

But those in charge that make such decisions will never have the foresight to take a chance on something so obvious. It is a win/win situation, but will never happen.

Realignment is the only viable long term solution to the NFL's attendance problem. I suspect they know that, but the owners have shown themselves to be absolutely unwilling to review a major overhaul of the divisional alignment structure and take advantage of geographical rivalries the way college football does. It's one reason why the NFL has never seriously threatened the passion that college football enjoys and probably never will, and I say that as a bigger NFL fan than college football fan.

Rivalries have to exist on more than paper and the internet. They grow in neighborhoods split by fandom, by families of different teams coming together, by road trips made by fans of modest means (blue collar fans are the heart of any fanbase). By proximity, in other words. Sure, there would be a backlash, and short term profits would suffer. But the long term gains would be enormous.

There's nothing quite like a map to show why this should be done, so here's one.

teams_map-1.jpg

The current alignment is utterly ad hoc and ridiculous as a result. A farce. There is no way to look at the map and see the logic in it.

I gave over a Saturday afternoon a year ago to looking at this and trying to come to a reasonable solution that made for the shortest average distance between teams in divisions while respecting current and common sense rivalries where I could. This made for some awkward pairings (Bengals and Browns with the Titans and Panthers, for instance, instead of with Pittsburgh). But overall I think it provides a good balance.

For your consideration:

AFC South:
Dolphins, Jaguars, Bucs, Falcons

AFC East:
Titans, Panthers, Bengals, Browns

AFC North:
Patriots, Giants, Jets, Bills

AFC Central:
Colts, Chiefs, Rams, Broncos

NFC East:
Redskins, Ravens, Steelers, Eagles

NFC North
Packers, Bears, Lions, Vikings

(Any wonder the only division to stay the same is also home to the best rivalries in the NFL?)

NFC South:
Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Cardinals

NFC West:
Chargers, 49ers, Raiders, Seahawks

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

Sports is about rivalries, not geographical correctness. Plenty of good rivalries exist already. No reason to tear them all down and start over just so all of the Florida teams can be placed in the same division.

Disagree. Geographic literacy & correctness should have some bearing on sports.

In the AFC, Move Miami to the South, Indy to the North, & Baltimore to the East.

NFC realignment... Carolina to the east, Dallas to the West, & Rams to the South

Back
Top Bottom