Realistic View, Not a Homer View... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Realistic View, Not a Homer View...

T.O.phin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There's so many question marks on this team. With alot of young talent, still too many question marks. There's the young cb's that have killed us this year, Gibril Wilson, LB's, kr/punt returner, offensiver/defensive co-ordinator, WR's, Merling and Langford, Henne and then Saprano. Way too many problems too fix in one year and mind you some just can't get it fixed. Sometimes, more so as a player, you are what you are...
- Out of Vontae and S. Smith, Vontae has played considerable better. Both keep getting burnt on long passes. S. Smith doesn't tackle well, seems very soft, his ball skills are in serious question. One thing that get's me irrate about him too is that when the ball is in the air he never turns his head to see where the ball is. What's saving me from saying they have been disasterous this season is for Davis' 5 picks and the fact that he's a go getter and will clean your clock if had the chance. It looks has more potential then Smith. Also in their defence, too many mistakes have come from the safeties and or because Pasqualino still fails to have safety help and not leave these guys alone on one on one coverage. The secondary is our weakest position. Gibril Wilson just seems like he plays more like a LB and is terrible in coverage. One big thing that I think is essential to being a great football player is awareness. Gibril is horrible at it...
- Our LB's not intimidating at all. Taylor is either not use right or age has caught up to him but you see him out there busting his tail and his awareness is pretty high. Porter should of bee thanked for all his sacks last year and sent packing. Wake doesn't start ahead of him cause of his fundamentals, questions about his play against the run and in pass coverage. Well Porter is terrible at both of those. It's what have you done for me lately. Wake should start over him. Crowder is too much hokis pokis. Too many dissapearing acts. Your MLB should average 10 tackles a game, he should be flying everywhere. Lacks awareness. Along with many, this position will be a huge need in the off-season. Talking about disappearing acts, Merling and Langford have gone awol!! What do they call it, the sophomore jinx. Sorry to tell you guys this but these guys are just plug ins. They might turn out to be decent players but I don't see any of them being starters for the next 4-5-6 years.
-Ginn as a Kick returner, not good. Despite his return's for touchdowns, he's too soft. Doesn't want to get hit and doesn't run at full speed. Bess is slow as molasses (probably didn't spell that right) He can't return a punt. This is a position I think the coaches have failed miserably to fix.
- Our co-ordinators should be fired. Defensively it's either two things. Pasqualuoni has not figured out the strength of his personnel and coach to there strength or the personnel is overrated. Something has got to give. Offensively too many uncharacteristic play calls in games that now seem normal to us. The reason Henning won't be dumped is I'm sure the brass would want Henne to continue his development without having to learn a new offense.
- Sparano is too much of a cheer leader and sometimes get's too excited to where, he loses track as a coach during games. Bogus timeouts being called or not being called, asking for a timeout when his team retrieved possession on a turnover where the clock automatically stops. Allowing some play calls to be called that are very much in question and the overall play of his defence. The slow start in the season. blowing leads (IND,NO) in games and so on. Someone has to be held accountable.
- Finally Henne. We need to chill, he is not our future QB for the next 10 years, yet! Too many things that still need to be figured out by him. Yes he has a lazer. But he needs alot of work on touch passes, sometimes he needs to take some of that zip off. His awareness to me is massively in question and I think this is his major opsticle. He stares down his recievers, and it's obvious enough that he decides where he's throwing the ball before the snap. The problem with that is that he can't read defense's. His pocket pressence is good but his awareness in reading defence and his IQ to be able to go through his progressions is his major opsticles. His INT's are way too much, I get that same feeling I used to get while watching Jay Fiedler play, just saying to myself, ok when is his INT coming.
- There's also the WR's but I have alot to say about that but I think it has been discussed enough to these boards. I'll say one thing though, they are what they are and their doing the best of what abilities they have. Not enough though....The positives to me are the offensive line, (Jake Long). Ronnie Brown, Polite, Ricky but the Ricky who split time not the Ricky getting the load. Too many fumbles and he will cost you at some point and Randy Starks.
- Too many holes and if we get into the playoffs with all these holes consider it a bonus.

all of you people are so funny with ur henne comments, every coach and commentator is in love with him but this message board is mixed i was on the colts board and they even were talking smack about peyton,

the reason why we came back was cuz of henne! you know how hard it is for a qb to play when hes down by like 15 pts and the defense knows your gonna basically pass every down! how does he stare down every throw? thats beyond a lie he checks downs to his rbs and fb's.

hes basically a damn rookie and has a W percentage as a starter. DAMN ALREADY its getting sickening.

So you think it's a problem that our young guys don't play like 10 year vets, basically. Davis and Smith are learning on the job in the hardest position on the defense. The fact that there is no FS to help they are often left alone in coverage and they can not be blamed for that. I not saying their future HOF's but the critizm is unwarrented, their rookies, too many of you forget this.

Our DE's are excellent, in the 3/4 their not there to make play after play. Their there to help collapse the pocket and allow the OLB's to make plays. Langford and Merling are right on track with their play, Langford obviousily playing better then most could have expected. Solai is a solid backup and maybe in a couple years will be a solid starter. Fergy's injury really hurts this team and is why I think we go after a vet NT in the offseason, drafting a NT to play behind Solai puts this defense back a step.

Everyone knows Crowder is not a playmaker but yet people still cry he's not a playmaker, I don't get that. We need a ILB to help him out, whether that's a draft pick or a FA it's not that hard of a fix.....Morrison, Dansby, Spikes will be all options available to us.

OLB is still a strong need for us next offseason, even if we opick up a FA we still would need to use a high draft pick to add to the depth. Wake to me looks like he will start in Porters spot next year,Taylor could be brought back because he'll come cheap and still proves theres something still in the tank, don't forget he gets taken out alot for Wake and Anderson at times so naturally his numbers won't be that impressive but he's a leader our defense can still use.

The Oline is set as are the backups, when's the last time we could say that!!!!!

R.Brown comes back with Ricky and Cobbs, no need to rush out and draft anyone. We can wait for Ricky to retire and draft a RB that offseason. There's always an outside shot we make some move at the RB position when Ronnie has gotten hurt alot and Ricky is obviousily not able to handle the load.

Henne, if you really still question if he's our future Qb then you will never be satisfied. Yes he makes mistakes in his first year starting, what QB doesn't. Majority of his mistakes are correctable, touch will be worked on in the offseason. The guy needs to make mistakes to know what to improve on, no one said he'd walk in and be Marino. Majority of Henne's skills will make him a long time starter and very good one at that, he's a leader that players want to play for.

We all know that we need to improve the receiver core, that helps Henne out as well. It still surprises me the same people that critize Henne will also say the receivers suck, how is that fair in ripping Henne. We have a problem with receivers getting open and whereas I do not care to draft a WR to solve that problem I think we need to pick one up in FA. Marshall, Jackson and Austin will not be available but A.Bryant could be and that's a big upgrade right there, Floyd, Avant, Walter and Evans all would improve the core. Don't sleep on Turner just yet, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a regular in the lineup after a full workout program in the offseason.

The holes aren't as great as some try to make it, we are a few plays away from leading the division so why would it be so bad.

FS - cut Wilson, start Clemons or FA signing of R.Clark Pit.
ILB - FA signing Dansby or Morrison or Ruud or draft Spikes (McClain will be gone)
WR - FA signing A.Bryant, M.Floyd
NT - FA signing C.Hampton, R.Pickett, V.Wilfork, A.Franklin
OLB - draft, draft, draft.....J.Hughes in the 1st

The outside factor not as many talk about is the TE position, I would love to see a T.Scheffler in our lineup, he is barely used in J.McDaniels system and will probably be let go in the offseason. Getting a guy like him and Bryant would turn our offense into a force to deal with.

I would maybe rather keep Wilson over Bell. With Bell you never know when his injuries will hit him again and he is what 32 now. Wilson as a FS is not a good thing but if we get a good coverage FS Wilson could be a beast at SS where he should be anyways.

The offense that we have now is as good as it will get. I know it's frustrating watching this team knowing they can play a lot better. Henne has shown promise and can turn into a solid starting quarterback in this league. His touch will get better and as time goes he will make better decisions. With an offseason and a whole year starting Henne will get even better. Receiving has obviously been a weakness for this team. We need to sign one in FA instead of drafting one and waiting for a few years to develop. I think the best improvement we could make on offense is to sing the receiver Bryant and sign a good pass catching tight end.

The defense is easily the worst of the two sides of the ball. Our corners struggle at times (I know they're rookies) we have two safeties that are both built to play strong safety. We have a good group of young corners, but we need to improve the quality of our safeties (gibril is awful) so help should be added there. Our linebackers are average and need new,young talent. I think we can draft a lb because there are usually good finds at lb in the draft. I
would like to see nothing better than crowder to go and replace him with a new stud in the draft.

All in all this team is moving in the right direction and has the pieces to do it. I think we are a few key free agents and one maybe two solid drafts from becoming a serious contender. But, to be positive, the Miami
Dolphins will be a serious threat in the AFC in 2011.

Go Fins!!! :up:

all of you people are so funny with ur henne comments, every coach and commentator is in love with him but this message board is mixed i was on the colts board and they even were talking smack about peyton,

the reason why we came back was cuz of henne! you know how hard it is for a qb to play when hes down by like 15 pts and the defense knows your gonna basically pass every down! how does he stare down every throw? thats beyond a lie he checks downs to his rbs and fb's.

hes basically a damn rookie and has a W percentage as a starter. DAMN ALREADY its getting sickening.

To be honest, I've seen a lot more of this team and its QB than the commentators out there and its obvious what impresses them. Henne throws a fricking laser and sometimes he throws absolutely beautiful passes that anybody would be impressed by. When its all said and done, Henne's career won't be defined by how beautiful his passes look, it will be defined by how well he produces and how much he minimizes his weaknesses from hurting him. For production, despite the "wow!" factor he hasn't come close to producing the yardage or TD's that Pennington did last year. And the weaknesses are only something that I noticed after watching Henne play multiple games but there are becoming more apparent and are starting to manifiest themselves with worse and worse results.

I've seen commentators say gushing things about a number of QB's who throw beautiful passes, many of whom turned out to be disappointments. As crazy as it seems, sometimes the Dolphin fans who watch every single snap of their team from preseason to week 17 know a little more about its players and teams than the guys who watch a couple of the team's plays on a monitor and make judgements based on highlights they see.

Derek Anderson started his career with a 10-5 record.

How did that turn out ?

henne needs some work if he dedicates himself like peyton the he will be very good if not this is what we wills see every week

henne needs some work if he dedicates himself like peyton the he will be very good if not this is what we wills see every week

Everything said about says he will. I personally think he will shine next when we fix the receiver position.

Derek Anderson started his career with a 10-5 record.

How did that turn out ?

Or why don't you mention Jay Fiedler's outstanding record as starter? Or even Ray Lucas, who had people gushing over his 6-3 start with the Jets in his first action. Or even AJ Feeley, who started out by leading the Eagles to a 4-1 record under him during the crucial playoff stretch.

Wins can be a product of an entire team. That doesn't mean that there aren't outstanding QB's out there who don't practically single-handedly lead their team's to victory. I think Pennington did this for us in many, though certainly not all of our wins last year. But a number of Henne's wins have been earned through outstanding performances elsewhere, like Ginn's two TD performance against the Jets. Henne's sagging TD/INT ratio, merely average completion percentage, and lack of significant yardage (on average though not today) indicate more that Henne has been more of a placeholder QB than one who is willing his team to victory week in and week out.

I agree with 3rdandinches about a lot. Wilson and Bell both are LB's and the worst safety combo I've ever seen in pass coverage. They're leading the team in tackles.. because they tackle well and their guys are always catching balls. TE's and slot receivers have murdered us this year because we put Bell or Wilson in coverage 1 vs 1. They can't play zones well.. I'd rather keep Bell but I do know we need to drop one and get a new starting safety who can help in pass defense. Once again..TE's..killing us.. so sad to watch when our front 7 is dominating in the run.

Sean Smith and Vontae have both had a few mistakes but I don't mind them all, they're playing as well as I expected. Nathan Jones has had some good plays but a lot of the time I see him getting beat for completions. I think we could use 1 safety and a new nickel CB.

Wake has played fantastic.. defensive line has been great..Taylor as always is good.. Porter hasn't done enough.. but they've played fine as a unit.

Offensively.. o-line injuries, starting RB and QB on IR.. No team expects to make the playoffs if you just show them that. We've played well. Hartline and Bess are fine with me.. Get a new TE.. RB's are good, resign Ronnie.. Henne has played much better than I expected after watching him in college. He looks good out there. One bad decision in the last game was about it.

And by God did our play callers blow 2 games this year. 13 straight passing plays against the Saints with a 14 point lead. A lead we took with running..and we're a running team.. so up 14..we pass 13 times? And the Colts.. 9 guys on the LoS.. 8 in the box.. Are you kidding me? This is Peyton Manning and you're going to line up like that? So we blew that game..I figure this was all on the coordinators but maybe not.

In short.. New safety for sure. Try for new nickel back, TE.. New coordinators.. And we should have 3 more wins. 2 to Colts and Saints..and this last week, thanks refs.

IMO the pass defense has been the downfall of the entire team ... the missed tackles earlier in the season and atrocious play of the safeties have hurt the team tremendously and has cost the team quite possibly, as many as, 2 wins so far this year ... again IMO if the pass defense improves so will the overall defense as well as the defensive ranking and amount of wins in the win column!!! lets not forget the dropped TD passes by Mr. Ginn, but that is a whole other story ... with improved play by the rookie corners and a better coverage FS ... this defense could be awesome... with 40 sacks so far this season an improved pass defense this team might have 50 right now!!!

Back
Top Bottom