Realists Vs. Homers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Realists Vs. Homers

rickyfan85

Rookie
Reaction score
This was a post i made in response another person's post, but it sparked somthing in my mind that i wanna drag into the limelight. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan, thats nice. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan that makes sense, thats even better.

But if your one of those guys that act like they know the game, when they really dont, this post is for you.

I mean, I enjoy talking more to level headed fans of other teams than i do talking to a Miami homer, or any homer for that matter.

See, i'm a FOOTBALL fan before i'm a Miami Dolphins fan. It's how its always been, i learned the game of football and fell in love with it before i even knew what the hell team logos were.

Some people watch football games, any football games, and cheer for players because they love the game. They dont need "favorite teams" or "Favorite Players", or anything "favorite." All we need is the game of football. Those people that prefer the game be played at the professional level are called NFL fans.

Some people just follow a franchise and have absolutely no clue whats going on in the rest of the league or even on the field for that matter.
They are not respected as NFL fans, they are written off as homers because every thing they say is based on an undying allegience to a company logo. I got a feeling this is where you belong.

Those people are really lame to talk to and the reason is because most of the things they say, if not all of them, are comming from a super biased perspective that they feel makes them a "true" fan. You know, saying things like "Cassal Sucks!" or "Brady Quinn Sucks" or my personal favorite - "I know we're winning but Chad Henne needs to start." Trust me, it doesnt make you more of a fan it makes you more of an idiot.

I'm what you call a realist. I like to keep in touch with reality, and see whether my understanding of the game gets better with age and experience. That doesnt make me less of a dolphins fan, it just gets me respect from those that recognize i'm not totally blind.

I mean its one thing to be a homer, but its another thing to take it a step further and try to denounce somone who actually has insight. I watch as much as i have time for and give credit where credit is due. It's true that i havent been this way all of my life, in my younger years i wanted to rip the head off of anything and anybody that kept my team from going undefeated. Then i realized what a moron i was and i grew up.

I just want to see what everyone's thoughts were concerning this matter.

You do realize if you dont pump sunshine up other fiin fan caboses the aqua moffia will will set up shop accross the street from your house. (kidding)

i understand what you are saying though. for I find it frustrating when a fan wants to bring in a player to see if he can help and other fans will say things like this.
#1 why do we always want to sign everbody that gets released from another team.

# 2 we dont need a good wr just give us a average wr and we will make do.

#3 I dont want T.O.

#4 I dont want Randy Moss

#5 I didnt like Mcmichael, Chambers, Welker , mcknight , ward or Weaver.

ah here is a ole goody.

#6 why do we want cut our bad players for they are not that bad.

I really get a kick at some of the we are ok at wr crowd .

if one must say it then say it. I love miami dolphins football but if our secondary sucks then i will voice my displeasure.

for me i want to have a great passing game and a great running game together . my pet peeve is changes is not needed or dont dont change this because of traditions .

is this what you are getting at ?

Now where's that smiley that repeatedly runs into a brick wall...?

Wow, for a "fan of football before a fan of the Dolphins", that is a real stupid sig bro (no offense). I was feeling your post, but then when I saw the sig it kind of ruined it.

I love football, like most people on this forum do, but that doesn't mean that I don't get to talk bad about other teams. Everyone has their own opinion, and you are against the wrong ones...but with all due respect, it is still their opinion. They are entitled to it, however wrong or boneheaded it may be. Let them speak, you speak, and we will continue having interesting and heated discussions on here.

The fact is that people can love a team, but that doesn't mean that they have to follow every other football team and know everything about it. I am not one of them, but there are people out there that just cheer for the Dolphins and know nothing else about the other teams or the rest of the league. Let them cheer, who cares what their football IQ is? After all in the end aren't we all here to support the Fins?

GO MIAMI!!!!!!

This was a post i made in response another person's post, but it sparked somthing in my mind that i wanna drag into the limelight. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan, thats nice. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan that makes sense, thats even better.

But if your one of those guys that act like they know the game, when they really dont, this post is for you.

I mean, I enjoy talking more to level headed fans of other teams than i do talking to a Miami homer, or any homer for that matter.

See, i'm a FOOTBALL fan before i'm a Miami Dolphins fan. It's how its always been, i learned the game of football and fell in love with it before i even knew what the hell team logos were.

Some people watch football games, any football games, and cheer for players because they love the game. They dont need "favorite teams" or "Favorite Players", or anything "favorite." All we need is the game of football. Those people that prefer the game be played at the professional level are called NFL fans.

Some people just follow a franchise and have absolutely no clue whats going on in the rest of the league or even on the field for that matter.
They are not respected as NFL fans, they are written off as homers because every thing they say is based on an undying allegience to a company logo. I got a feeling this is where you belong.

Those people are really lame to talk to and the reason is because most of the things they say, if not all of them, are comming from a super biased perspective that they feel makes them a "true" fan. You know, saying things like "Cassal Sucks!" or "Brady Quinn Sucks" or my personal favorite - "I know we're winning but Chad Henne needs to start." Trust me, it doesnt make you more of a fan it makes you more of an idiot.

I'm what you call a realist. I like to keep in touch with reality, and see whether my understanding of the game gets better with age and experience. That doesnt make me less of a dolphins fan, it just gets me respect from those that recognize i'm not totally blind.

I mean its one thing to be a homer, but its another thing to take it a step further and try to denounce somone who actually has insight. I watch as much as i have time for and give credit where credit is due. It's true that i havent been this way all of my life, in my younger years i wanted to rip the head off of anything and anybody that kept my team from going undefeated. Then i realized what a moron i was and i grew up.

All very good points. I think we got off on the wrong foot. Because I am very much a realist too.

But most importantly. You may Think you are some kind of a football guru. Truth is, if you really were you would be on ESPN or actually make good arguments instead of "Cassel threw 400yards last game , he is a GREAT QB." and I respond, One good game does not make someone a Great QB. It takes multiple Great games. He is however a good QB for how inexperienced he is. Still none-the-less a rookie QB who is no Tom Brady no matter how much you may want him to be.

Homers and Realists, Jackasses and Geniuses, the Yin and the Yang, the Bada and the Bing, can't have one without the otherrrrr. Balance. Fact is, we need these homers to make us feel like the unbiased, informed super cool fans that we are.

You do realize if you dont pump sunshine up other fiin fan caboses the aqua moffia will will set up shop accross the street from your house. (kidding)

i understand what you are saying though. for I find it frustrating when a fan wants to bring in a player to see if he can help and other fans will say things like this.
#1 why do we always want to sign everbody that gets released from another team.

# 2 we dont need a good wr just give us a average wr and we will make do.

#3 I dont want T.O.

#4 I dont want Randy Moss

#5 I didnt like Mcmichael, Chambers, Welker , mcknight , ward or Weaver.

ah here is a ole goody.

#6 why do we want cut our bad players for they are not that bad.

I really get a kick at some of the we are ok at wr crowd .

if one must say it then say it. I love miami dolphins football but if our secondary sucks then i will voice my displeasure.

for me i want to have a great passing game and a great running game together . my pet peeve is changes is not needed or dont dont change this because of traditions .

is this what you are getting at ?

so basically, if a fan doesnt believe the way you believe then they are not knowledgeable? :unsure:

Homers and Realists, Jackasses and Geniuses, the Yin and the Yang, the Bada and the Bing, can't have one without the otherrrrr. Balance. Fact is, we need these homers to make us feel like the unbiased, informed super cool fans that we are.

:sidelol:

It would be pretty boring if we were all realists, homers and know it alls.
it gets bothersome at times but it is never boring. I think I have a seperate category on this board, a realist is actually a hater lol.

:hi5:

Been this way since I joined in 2004 and will be this way long after you and I stop visiting the forums.

I'm sure if it werent for the fact I lived in Texas and get little news on the Dolphins I wouldn't bother with it all, it does get frustrating.

People who divide fans up into 2 types vs. people who don't!

um... :foundout:

Please keep in mind one can be a "homer" and a realist at the same time. Mad Dog Mandich comes to mind. I tend to see Dolphin fans (including myself) as either being optimistic or pessimistic. Depending on the topic/situation, I sometimes see the glass half full; other times I see it half empty.

So if I tend to be optimistic does that make me a homer? Or if I'm pessimistic does that mean I understand the situation better than others and thus a realist? Mostly, I tend to be optimistic, and admitedly having rose colored glasses can be helpful. When I'm in a Chicken Little "The sky is falling" frame of mind I know that is way past medication time.

I love people who think they know more, and look down on others because they think they know more. Let's take a guy who can smell and taste a sip of wine and tell you what it is and what year. Now, lets take a guy who just really likes wine and can speak with knowledge on what wines he likes. Neither guy is a homer if he talks about wine. Your post seems very opinionated, and seems to belittle someone who just likes to watch the game and cheer for their team. It's a game, it is meant to be enjoyed by all shapes, sizes, and ages, regardless of indepth knowledge of the X's and O's. We could have 3 yards of total offense, 10 turnovers, and play absolutely the worst game statistically and I can still enjoy it as long as we win. Ya, I will gripe about what I feel we need to change, but that is what this sight is for. So fans of all knowledge level can post about their favorite team. That is great that you study the game to so much depth if that is what makes you happy. However, don't think you are better or even correct because you think you have more knowledge than the other guy, because if you know anything you know football is not an exact sport. That's how the Tom Brady's and Zach Thomas' fall so far in the draft. I respect everyones opininion on here, but will argue if I don't agree. That doesn't mean I think the other guy is an idiot, we just don't agree. Bottom line is everyone has an opinion, regardless of the knowledge behind it, and should not be called an idiot because it isn't on line with yours. Go Phins!

Back
Top Bottom