Realists Vs. Homers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by rickyfan85, Nov 19, 2008.

1. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

This was a post i made in response another person's post, but it sparked somthing in my mind that i wanna drag into the limelight. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan, thats nice. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan that makes sense, thats even better.

But if your one of those guys that act like they know the game, when they really dont, this post is for you.

I mean, I enjoy talking more to level headed fans of other teams than i do talking to a Miami homer, or any homer for that matter.

See, i'm a FOOTBALL fan before i'm a Miami Dolphins fan. It's how its always been, i learned the game of football and fell in love with it before i even knew what the hell team logos were.

Some people watch football games, any football games, and cheer for players because they love the game. They dont need "favorite teams" or "Favorite Players", or anything "favorite." All we need is the game of football. Those people that prefer the game be played at the professional level are called NFL fans.

Some people just follow a franchise and have absolutely no clue whats going on in the rest of the league or even on the field for that matter.
    They are not respected as NFL fans, they are written off as homers because every thing they say is based on an undying allegience to a company logo. I got a feeling this is where you belong.

Those people are really lame to talk to and the reason is because most of the things they say, if not all of them, are comming from a super biased perspective that they feel makes them a "true" fan. You know, saying things like "Cassal Sucks!" or "Brady Quinn Sucks" or my personal favorite - "I know we're winning but Chad Henne needs to start." Trust me, it doesnt make you more of a fan it makes you more of an idiot.

I'm what you call a realist. I like to keep in touch with reality, and see whether my understanding of the game gets better with age and experience. That doesnt make me less of a dolphins fan, it just gets me respect from those that recognize i'm not totally blind.

I mean its one thing to be a homer, but its another thing to take it a step further and try to denounce somone who actually has insight. I watch as much as i have time for and give credit where credit is due. It's true that i havent been this way all of my life, in my younger years i wanted to rip the head off of anything and anybody that kept my team from going undefeated. Then i realized what a moron i was and i grew up.

I just want to see what everyone's thoughts were concerning this matter.

2. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

You do realize if you dont pump sunshine up other fiin fan caboses the aqua moffia will will set up shop accross the street from your house. (kidding)

i understand what you are saying though. for I find it frustrating when a fan wants to bring in a player to see if he can help and other fans will say things like this.
    #1 why do we always want to sign everbody that gets released from another team.

# 2 we dont need a good wr just give us a average wr and we will make do.

#3 I dont want T.O.

#4 I dont want Randy Moss

#5 I didnt like Mcmichael, Chambers, Welker , mcknight , ward or Weaver.

ah here is a ole goody.

#6 why do we want cut our bad players for they are not that bad.

I really get a kick at some of the we are ok at wr crowd .

if one must say it then say it. I love miami dolphins football but if our secondary sucks then i will voice my displeasure.

for me i want to have a great passing game and a great running game together . my pet peeve is changes is not needed or dont dont change this because of traditions .

is this what you are getting at ?

3. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Now where's that smiley that repeatedly runs into a brick wall...?

4. SwimminInIndy

SwimminInIndy Starter

Wow, for a "fan of football before a fan of the Dolphins", that is a real stupid sig bro (no offense). I was feeling your post, but then when I saw the sig it kind of ruined it.

I love football, like most people on this forum do, but that doesn't mean that I don't get to talk bad about other teams. Everyone has their own opinion, and you are against the wrong ones...but with all due respect, it is still their opinion. They are entitled to it, however wrong or boneheaded it may be. Let them speak, you speak, and we will continue having interesting and heated discussions on here.

The fact is that people can love a team, but that doesn't mean that they have to follow every other football team and know everything about it. I am not one of them, but there are people out there that just cheer for the Dolphins and know nothing else about the other teams or the rest of the league. Let them cheer, who cares what their football IQ is? After all in the end aren't we all here to support the Fins?

GO MIAMI!!!!!!

5. petefins

petefins Go DOLPHINS

All very good points. I think we got off on the wrong foot. Because I am very much a realist too.

But most importantly. You may Think you are some kind of a football guru. Truth is, if you really were you would be on ESPN or actually make good arguments instead of "Cassel threw 400yards last game , he is a GREAT QB." and I respond, One good game does not make someone a Great QB. It takes multiple Great games. He is however a good QB for how inexperienced he is. Still none-the-less a rookie QB who is no Tom Brady no matter how much you may want him to be.

6. DeeAy3000

DeeAy3000 Big Things

Homers and Realists, Jackasses and Geniuses, the Yin and the Yang, the Bada and the Bing, can't have one without the otherrrrr. Balance. Fact is, we need these homers to make us feel like the unbiased, informed super cool fans that we are.

7. dreamwalker

dreamwalker General Martian Army

so basically, if a fan doesnt believe the way you believe then they are not knowledgeable? :unsure:

8. moe

moe Scout Team

:sidelol:

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

It would be pretty boring if we were all realists, homers and know it alls.
    it gets bothersome at times but it is never boring. I think I have a seperate category on this board, a realist is actually a hater lol.

10. cliff72

cliff72 Rookie

:hi5:

11. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

How does one "learn" the game of football before figuring out what logos are? This is what you call ridiculous :up:

12. dabeastdabone

dabeastdabone Seasoned Veteran

Been this way since I joined in 2004 and will be this way long after you and I stop visiting the forums.

I'm sure if it werent for the fact I lived in Texas and get little news on the Dolphins I wouldn't bother with it all, it does get frustrating.

13. Marino613

Marino613 FinHeaven VIP

People who divide fans up into 2 types vs. people who don't!

um... :foundout:

14. undefeated72

undefeated72 old-timer Donator

Please keep in mind one can be a "homer" and a realist at the same time. Mad Dog Mandich comes to mind. I tend to see Dolphin fans (including myself) as either being optimistic or pessimistic. Depending on the topic/situation, I sometimes see the glass half full; other times I see it half empty.

So if I tend to be optimistic does that make me a homer? Or if I'm pessimistic does that mean I understand the situation better than others and thus a realist? Mostly, I tend to be optimistic, and admitedly having rose colored glasses can be helpful. When I'm in a Chicken Little "The sky is falling" frame of mind I know that is way past medication time.

15. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I love people who think they know more, and look down on others because they think they know more. Let's take a guy who can smell and taste a sip of wine and tell you what it is and what year. Now, lets take a guy who just really likes wine and can speak with knowledge on what wines he likes. Neither guy is a homer if he talks about wine. Your post seems very opinionated, and seems to belittle someone who just likes to watch the game and cheer for their team. It's a game, it is meant to be enjoyed by all shapes, sizes, and ages, regardless of indepth knowledge of the X's and O's. We could have 3 yards of total offense, 10 turnovers, and play absolutely the worst game statistically and I can still enjoy it as long as we win. Ya, I will gripe about what I feel we need to change, but that is what this sight is for. So fans of all knowledge level can post about their favorite team. That is great that you study the game to so much depth if that is what makes you happy. However, don't think you are better or even correct because you think you have more knowledge than the other guy, because if you know anything you know football is not an exact sport. That's how the Tom Brady's and Zach Thomas' fall so far in the draft. I respect everyones opininion on here, but will argue if I don't agree. That doesn't mean I think the other guy is an idiot, we just don't agree. Bottom line is everyone has an opinion, regardless of the knowledge behind it, and should not be called an idiot because it isn't on line with yours. Go Phins!

dreamwalker likes this.
  16. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

iam sure most of us consider and are intelligent enough to view themselves as being both...i know i do. I can discern with my eyes and feelings most of the time.

17. dreamwalker

Thats a great comparason or how about "I like TO and those that dont- are not knowledgeable", then call him on that and you have proved his point and nothing needs debated because...

You do not like TO so therefore you are not knowledgeable enough to hold that debate.

18. moonman

moonman >tfw dolphins fan

Yeah, OP, I get pissed off too when Miami fans get excited. How dare they?

19. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

Sorry this post sucks. I love the fins, and I have an understanding of the game and a love for pure athleticism. I'm a homer, and I know enough, but I don't know everything. Nor do I claim to, or want to. I have more important things to do in my life than scrutinize every NFL players weekly performance so that I can call myself an NFL "realist" on an internet message board. The NFL is fun to watch and it's fun to talk about, it's not my career, it's not my life, it's not my family. It's my hobby, and when I become arrogant about my hobby, it ceases to become a hobby and I become an elitist. This post is elitist.

20. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

Fact of the matter is that i never said he's great. I implied that he is a very real threat that people are downplaying. You also said i made him out to be a "God" in another post, which i never did. But yeah we probably did get off on the wrong foot, i'm adversarial but i never hold grudges so dont take my analishness personally.

21. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Since when do you have to be a sports guru to work at ESPN? All they get paid to do is say "Red sox and Yankees", "Yankees and Red Sox", "Brett Favre", and "Lebron is great."

If people choose to only care about their home team that doesn't make them a horrible person.

22. dreamwalker

I wanted to draw attention to this post again, after rereading it I realized it deserved a bit more than just a thanks. Its right on the mark

23. 67Stang

I am a Phin fan first, doesn't matter if we are an Undefeated Super Bowl Champion or 1 over time slant pattern away from a winnless season. If that makes me a homer, so be it!

24. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

No one said it did. I'm just trying to discern between valid opinions and super bias, which is somthing i feel is important to you because of what you said about ESPN.

25. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

If that's part of earning your paycheck at ESPN, then Skip Bayless should've been a fired a loooong time ago.

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

is it possible to be a homer realist or a realistic homer lol

27. 67Stang

Realistically it is unrealistic to be a realist if you are trying to keep it real:up:

28. aesop

aesop Banned Hammered

Get over yourself, buddy. Just watch the games and enjoy it if you're such a football fan.

29. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

You should've kept this post in the thread it was posted.

We all root for the Dolphins here, and who are you to say what kind of fan someone is according to their knowledge of the game? Just because someone doesn't know as much as you claim to know about the game doesn't mean they can't contribute. Some people have lives, jobs or circumstances that prevent them from keeping up with the Phins like they want. If you can't handle reading opinions you don't agree with then I think you should leave the internet.

30. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

Homer is a term that is affiliated with people that dont care what reality is, they will talk their guys up no matter what and talk down the rest of the world no matter what. It's why i have a hard time taking them seriously when they have somthing to say.

Realist is somone that strives to get away from bias. Thats simply what i'm trying to say. Between the time that i created this post and went to get some food and come back, Homers were foaming at the mouth and baby i'm loving it.

31. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

Get as excited as you want my friend. Just keep in mind that during your excitement, if you say somthing like, and i'm not saying you will but the HOMERS know what i'm screaming, "Ginn is the next Jerry Rice" people are gonna have fun with you and no not in a good way :)

32. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

If a national broadcaster comes off as a homer it can be annoying. If Joe Schmo comes off as a homer, I really don't give a damn.

33. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

pessimism doesn't make anyone a "smarter" or "better" fan

34. aesop

aesop Banned Hammered

So you're just an antagonist.. not an "NFL fan".

35. 67Stang

Here is where I think you need to realise something. Everybody's reality is drastically different. People's reality is as different as their opinions.

36. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

Dude you can talk as bad as you want about anybody you want. Just as long as it has a factual basis. Like i know there are soooo many people out there that hate brady or hate quinn because they arent wearing our uniforms. THATS the stuff i'm getting at.

And its cool, i know that marijuana bothers alot of people, especially when me one of our players enjoy it as much as we do :)

But if drugs in a professional enviornment are an issue.....you realize whos in your avatar right?

37. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

Dude you can be mad at another team/our team/the president, i'm not here to tell you how to think. I'm just here to remind people that they sound really dumb whenever they jump on somone's jock and get mad when somone calls them on it.

and yeah, its cool man i understand that alot of people are offended by my sig pic.

But if drugs in a professional enviornment are an issue.....you do realize whos in your avatar right?

38. rickyfan85

rickyfan85 Rookie

Your right. Because in my world, an object that falls during free fall accellerates at 9.8 meters/second. The world is round, and it revolves around the sun. 1 + 1 always = 2, and your attempt to validate anyone that can run their mouth has failed. Thanks!

39. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

I could swear that in one of my other posts you commented about how happy you are that Dan Marino doesn't play for the Miami Dolphins anymore, the greatest player that this franchise has ever known. I'll have to go back and check my earlier posts Mr. Football Fan.;)

40. dreamwalker

you do know you are talking extreme, sure the most extreme homer(as you label it) sounds a little less knowledgeable but at the same time an extreme realist (as you label it) sounds every bit as much as bad as the former.

The funny thing is while you are laughing at them- they are laughing at you. (while you have half the crowd on your side, the other half is on theirs)

See where I am going? Its based on perspective, I think thats where 67stang is coming from (correct me if I am wrong)