Reason a coveted QB available at No. 11 would be great for Dolphins even if they don’t want him | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reason a coveted QB available at No. 11 would be great for Dolphins even if they don’t want him

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The mock draft I shared with you on Monday seems meaningless at first blush because it’s just an estimate of what might happen in a few months without the benefit of knowing what’s about to happen at the start of the NFL league year in March and during free agency.

But it matters for one simple and significant reason:

It suggests the Dolphins are picking high enough to matter in the quarterback conversation.

And as this is bound to be the offseason of the quarterback around the NFL, that’s important.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle199787609.html?__twitter_impression=true

Because the NFL is a QB league and until u have a great one you will not compete with top teams regularly. That’s reason enough. Draft a QB over and over until one hits!

The issue with drafting a QB is you don't just draft one for the sake of drafting a QB. It's the one position that if you miss on it can set your franchise back for 3 years or so. You need to identify him as a long-term plus starter and then have him fall to you (or trade up). Just because someone slips in the draft you don't draft him unless you look at him as a great player. This is different then pretty much every other position when looking at the draft.

I really want Davenport. Grab Luke Falk in the 3rd or 4th if he lasts that long. He is a developmental guy I really like.

Until you have an exceptional QB you never really know. They can cover up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere (look under: PATRIOTS)
Also look under Miami dolphins ( Dan Marino )
Also the patriots are one of the best coach teams in the NFL.

Could trade with Arizona if Allen or Mayfield is there at #11 and Miami doesn't want to go that way.

That's the ideal trading partner for us. Moving to 15 isn't bad as you'd obviously have to sweat out 3 picks. However the only road block would be each of the 3 teams picking in front of us could use extra picks more than us. If Arizona is willing to part with their 2nd (47th), I could see Chicago, San Fran or Oakland being in the mix for a trade down. Not the end of the world if that happens because at 11 you just need that one guy to slip out of the top 10 and another QB being drafted ahead of you only helps that cause.

For us it will simply boil down to who's left. We would be more inclined to take the best offer we can finagle if all of our top tier guys are gone. If you have 4 or 5 guys similarly graded remaining at 11, it's worth acquiring pick 79 and possibly a 4th in 2019.

Wouldn't hurt to have some extra ammo to be able to trade up from 42 to 35-37ish to snag a starter, similarly to what we did with Xavien Howard. Moved from 42 to 38. I expect it to be a TE or OLB this time.

Last edited:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eminder-of-the-unpredictability-of-the-draft/

Given the unknown...I like my chances with Tannehill...use one of your 4th's to draft a QB...use 1-3 on making the defense your identity....if there is a "potential" QB available when we draft at 11...try to trade down 3-5 spots and gain an extra 3rd?....if so find a QB with one of your 3rd's.....unless one of the top 3 TE's are available...Build the team....we have a QB that, when healthy, can win with the right team around him...

With a strong/dominate defense and Tannehill leading our offense we will win 10+ games....and have a QB grooming for the future.....IMO

Never the Qbs fault. Unless your name is Cutler.
Never said that it couldn't be the QBs fault. Some of it is, but most of it isn't. posters like you want to pin it all on the QB which isn't the case.
Stop reading box scores and watch the games, you could learn something. If you get a chance look at the oline, take a look at the wonderful LBs we have. Look at the overall product not just QB.

Back
Top Bottom