Regardless of who we draft, Fins should trade players for draft picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Regardless of who we draft, Fins should trade players for draft picks

phinfreak

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Not that this roster has abundant talent or talent that other teams covet, but as with the J Smiley rumor thing, there may be other players that provide some value to teams that are closer to SB contention than we are and need a piece here and there, either depth or a player with specific skill set i.e Fasano, Ted Ginn, Ronnie Brown, Thigpen, and others.

Philly has made the tough decision and has a stock pile of picks. Remember the Cowboys and their blockbuster trade for a ton of picks? Conversely, look at what trading all their draft picks for Ricky Williams did for the Saints.

Fins have pressing needs at too many positions to go at this and next years draft in a conventional way.

Fins have to find that one game breaking playmaker WR, TE, and RB (yes, I said running back), but also the defense is in need of talent and speed, none of which are available via FA.

So, my vote is that Trifecta packages players like above for as many draft picks as possible.

If not, it will take forever to turn this talentless roster around into contention for a SB.

Just sayin.

I think they will be trading some players for picks. I think that Smiley is a definite goner. I think that Pennington and/or Thigpen will eventually be traded but that might be for a pick in 2011 rather than 2010. I think that Ginn is on the block. Ronnie is 50/50. I think they'll be active doing this.

I think they will be trading some players for picks. I think that Smiley is a definite goner. I think that Pennington and/or Thigpen will eventually be traded but that might be for a pick in 2011 rather than 2010. I think that Ginn is on the block. Ronnie is 50/50. I think they'll be active doing this.
I also feel Merling might be on the block as well. Thats if they expect to draft another DE. But I am happy with him as rotational DE.
Chubbs

If there was still a salary cap you would largely be correct.

But in a cap-less environment, draft picks are devauled, since you don't have to worry about paying veterans their high minimums (high relative to younger players).

The only place this new rule doesn't really apply is quarterbacks, since they still have value to other teams and you can't play more than one of them at a time. As such, I would still be in favor of trading Thigpen and Pennington and drafting a low round guy like, say, Crompton, to develop and hopefully trade away some day.

But yes, as CK notes, I think guys like Ronnie, Smiley, Ginn and Merling are all on the block. But unlike other years, we might be seeing more player for player trades since the cap won't impact them as much.

I hope we do grab more picks, but in doing so we KEEP Thigpen and Brown.

I do not want to see either go. Thigpen is the PERFECT backup. And if Brown can stay away from freak injuries this season he will be extremely valuable to us. I think some people forget how dangerous the R&R express was in the first half of the season. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BREAK THAT UP? It's not like we are going to get a 1st rounder for the guy. AND with Cobbs possibly not 100% and Ricky possibly departing at the years end it's a good idea to let Ronnie go as well?!

I also feel Merling might be on the block as well. Thats if they expect to draft another DE. But I am happy with him as rotational DE.
Chubbs

I would be absolutely shocked if they trade Merling. He will play an important role in Nolan's defense. Kendall Langford and Phil Merling will trade off almost one for one.

But in a cap-less environment, draft picks are devauled, since you don't have to worry about paying veterans their high minimums (high relative to younger players).

The only place this new rule doesn't really apply is quarterbacks, since they still have value to other teams and you can't play more than one of them at a time. As such, I would still be in favor of trading Thigpen and Pennington and drafting a low round guy like, say, Crompton, to develop and hopefully trade away some day.

But yes, as CK notes, I think guys like Ronnie, Smiley, Ginn and Merling are all on the block. But unlike other years, we might be seeing more player for player trades since the cap won't impact them as much.

I agree that the capless environment has to be taken account of but I account for it the complete opposite way you do. In a capless environment, nobody worries about cashless cap penalties that result from trades and cuts. That's the reason Gibril Wilson was cut and that's the reason Justin Smiley has been told to stay away from camp. If there were a cap, neither move might have been made.

There has been all kinds of trade activity out there, more than normal.

if we did trade merling i sure do like the 3-4 end prospects in this draft...

I agree that the capless environment has to be taken account of but I account for it the complete opposite way you do. In a capless environment, nobody worries about cashless cap penalties that result from trades and cuts. That's the reason Gibril Wilson was cut and that's the reason Justin Smiley has been told to stay away from camp. If there were a cap, neither move might have been made.

There has been all kinds of trade activity out there, more than normal.

I think it's both. Certainly not having to live with your mistakes from a financial standpoint is important but the salary cap also has an impact on driving the youth of the NFL given that minimum contracts increase as a player gets older.

Veterans give you more guaranteed production but cost more and offer little in terms of growth. The emphasis on young guys is that if you hit on them they can produce like stars on their cheap rookie contracts. How much would a player of Kendall Langford's caliber cost on the open market, for instance?

But without the need to squeeze the bottom of the roster financially, some teams are going to willing to live with that trade-off that veterans bring, especially at need positions, where otherwise they would be forced to throw their youngsters into the deep end of the pool and hope that they swim. I think it'll have an impact not just on trading picks for players, especially if the cap-less environment continues, but teams working their rosters the way the George Allen Redskins did -- chiefly with veterans.

keep in mind that for every player we trade for a pick, it creates another hole on the roster

Not that this roster has abundant talent or talent that other teams covet, but as with the J Smiley rumor thing, there may be other players that provide some value to teams that are closer to SB contention than we are and need a piece here and there, either depth or a player with specific skill set i.e Fasano, Ted Ginn, Ronnie Brown, Thigpen, and others.

Philly has made the tough decision and has a stock pile of picks. Remember the Cowboys and their blockbuster trade for a ton of picks? Conversely, look at what trading all their draft picks for Ricky Williams did for the Saints.

Fins have pressing needs at too many positions to go at this and next years draft in a conventional way.

Fins have to find that one game breaking playmaker WR, TE, and RB (yes, I said running back), but also the defense is in need of talent and speed, none of which are available via FA.

So, my vote is that Trifecta packages players like above for as many draft picks as possible.

If not, it will take forever to turn this talentless roster around into contention for a SB.

Just sayin.

Although it is a deep draft, there is some great talent to be had early on that can immediately contribute at our #12 spot. I don't like the idea of trading down when were in very good position to draft some very good players. I certainly think we're on the right track and all of our needs don't have to be addressed this year. We are a talented and competitive team and will continue to be on our way to being a contender by following the direction we are on. I'll gladly put my Super Bowl hopes on hold for a few years to properly build a team as opposed to others that try and fulfill there needs through one-hit wonder season in FA.

It's not going to be a cap-less environment forever. I would think the salary cap will be back in 2011. In either case draft picks are never devalued. There will always be value in getting younger players, who for the most part, are cheaper. These are business men who own these NFL teams, maybe 2 or 3 of them would have salaries in excess of $150-160 million but their ticket sales would have to be very expensive and people wouldn't be able to afford going to games and eventually they would start losing revenue and have to cut back. You don't just over pay everyone and try to buy a championship because there's no salary cap...it has to make financial sense.

Back
Top Bottom