Releasing Feeley After The Season Bad Or Good? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Releasing Feeley After The Season Bad Or Good?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
How is Feeley's contract structured? Would we take a big cap hit be releasing him, like Madison's contract? Or would it be more like Fiedler's contract where we would save a lot? Clump?

Nubs, I am pretty sure we gave Feeley a 3 million dollar signing bonus. Since we will cut him mostly likely before 6/1 we will have to pay about $1.8 in a cap him next year. His salary would have been like 3 million for 2006. This year its is 540k. I believe Clumpy can elaborate if I am wrong..

I believe his career with Miami is over after 2005. He will likely be released before 6/1 as GreenMonster said. His dead cap would be $1.8 million and it would save about $1.8 million on the 2006 cap

releasing AJ after 2005 saves us 1.7 mil...

his salary next year skyrockets to 3.5 mil (for a total cap hit of 4.1 million!)

we get that back, but lose the 1.8 mil from the bonus

His savings would actually be $2.3 million

$3.5 million salary + $600,000 amortization - $1.8 million dead cap = $2.3 million

I thought his salary was $3 million but that was without looking it up

inFINSible said:
Cut and resigned is what he'll be, IMO.

Being released accelerates the remaining signing bonus to Team Salary. If he is to be kept as a backup a reduction of base salary is needed.

Merman said:
Being released accelerates the remaining signing bonus to Team Salary. If he is to be kept as a backup a reduction of base salary is needed.
So then a renegotiation would be the wiser move if our intention is to keep him, correct?

Losing the starting job gives us great leverage to reneg because it keeps his options closed on the open market and he would be foolish to push for his release.

I wonder if Saban is masterfully playing this QB situation so that next year, when Feeley may have a firm grip on the offense, he has no outside courtship and he is forced to resign here and possibly out perform his paycheck?

Imagine if he had a decent year as the starter this year and then we were forced to make a decision as to whether to keep him at his current salary. He would have all the leverage and the same amount of experience in the system but, this way he'll have the experience and no leverage.

Sounds like genius to me....

Feeley was so miserable in preseason that he won't even get a snap under center in 1 play of 1 game this season. He's gone after this one. Game over. See ya! We should release him now if at all possible and bring on someone worthwhile to TRY and groom for the position. Feeley is dead weight at this point and it makes no sense keeping him. Why not take a chance on ANYONE else now that we've basically seen enough of AJ?

inFINSible said:
Sounds like genius to me....

Not genius just circumstance.

If the situation stays the way it is now Feeley is gone. He has the physical tools to become a starting QB just not the decision making and maybe vision is holding him back.

We all know it is a long season and the QB situation could change before the end of the year. Though if Feeley fails again if given another chance I think he is gone no matter what.

During the Jets game the camera caught him sitting on the bench by himself rather than with the other QBs.

inFINSible said:
So then a renegotiation would be the wiser move if our intention is to keep him, correct?

Losing the starting job gives us great leverage to reneg because it keeps his options closed on the open market and he would be foolish to push for his release.

I wonder if Saban is masterfully playing this QB situation so that next year, when Feeley may have a firm grip on the offense, he has no outside courtship and he is forced to resign here and possibly out perform his paycheck?

masterfully enough that Feeley is now no longer on the team.....

We're already working towards that $25M of cap space next offseason :D

Back
Top Bottom