Relying on Rookies is Recipe for Disaster!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JTech194, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

For those of you who feel that we should bypass Wallace or Jennings because they want too much money and just draft a couple of rookies, I don't think this is the way to go! First off most rookie WR don't step right in and produce big numbers, does it happen sure but its rare! Secondly if a rookie comes in and starts right away that means the players on the team in that position aren't that good! We NEED to sign Wallace or Jennings I prefer Wallace, AND draft a receiver or two, what this does greatly improves the position and creates competition, which goes a long way in player development! If the veteran gets hurt then you have a capable rookie in place! When the veteran's contract is up or play declines, then you have a younger option already on the team! The moral of the story is WE SHOULD NOT RELY ON ANY ROOKIE TO COME IN AND MAKE HUGE IMPACTS RIGHT AWAY! ONLY BAD TEAMS DO THAT!

2. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I would rely on Ryan Swope. :)

3. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

i heard Wallace needs lots of improvement in route running. He does have speed to burn though. Ireland worries me with his inconsistent picks..

4. psfign

psfign A True Fan

I agree. If we cant get wallace or jennings, then we need to get a serviceable #1 and then draft and groom.

5. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some evidence behind this. Because the way I see it, it seems like the bad teams are always overpaying vets in free agency.

6. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

A rookie WR most likely will not step in and be a huge contributor this season, I agree with you, but the fact is we are NOT superbowl caliber. It is smarter for us to be concerned with how good those WRs will be in the 2014-2015 / 2015-2016 seasons. Thus rookie WRs make more sense. This year we can make the playoffs I honestly believe but we are not gonna beat the top 3 teams. No way. So this team is still 2-3 years away from legitimately winning a superbowl. Thus drafting 2 stud rookie receivers now will be prime for those season. Everyone wants to spend like crazy now because we have the money but the only way that is smart is if Wallace or Jennings will be prime contributors in 2-3 years because that is when it will matter the most.

7. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Tell that to Ryan Tannehill....

8. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

I'd look into adding young CHEAPER WRs who will grow up with Tannehill, not tell him what to do and who to throw to.

Anyone that does not believe that drafting and drafting well is the way to go must be related to George Allen.

9. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

I'm not for soley relying on FA to build a team either, you have to use both to properly build a team! but when you have a young 26 year old guy that is a proven playmaker you have to Juno over that! He's only 26 so who's to say he can continue to get better? I would NOT over pay for a Jennings though, he's older and is most likely not getting any better!

10. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Ryan Tannehill only started because the QB in front of him weren't that good! He wouldn't have started for the patriots, ravens, falcons etc... Any team with a good QB. That's my point if rookies come in and play right away the guys on the team in front of him aren't that good. We shouldnt rely on a rookie WR those guys especially don't excel in their first year

11. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

The problem with that is you have to be willing to miss the playoffs for the next couple of years and no one here is that patient and Ireland would be fired before those excelled

12. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Given our situation, Wallace makes sense to me. I would have preferred to not bring back Hartline. That's where I'd use the draft. Opposite Wallace, you want a guy who can make the D pay. Hartline has never been that guy. If you had a guy like Patterson or Wheaton, though, opposite Wallace, that's going to cause the D some heartburn. Those are guys who can score on any given play. It doesn't stop at those two. Deep class.

13. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Matt Moore can start on about 6 teams right now....

14. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Oh and as far as evidence.. Look at all of the WR picked in the first round last year... NONE of them produced numbers even close to Hartline who we all know is not a #1 receiver! So if we rely solely on the draft... Hartline will again be our BEST WR and that's not acceptable

15. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

I don't know man.... Saying that a rookie will come in and give us 74 catches and 1084 yards ... i guess its possible but I highly doubt it!!

16. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

This is about much more than just next year.

17. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

And NONE of those teams will win the Super Bowl with him starting! Which is the ultimate goal correct??

18. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

And 0 TD's against coverage? His 1 TD (1 TD for the entire season) came on a busted coverage.

I've already banged this out multiple times, but when you factor in the value of TD's, multiple rookies every year have seasons comparable to (or better than) Hartline's 2012 season. That's not taking into account the fact that we were force-feeding Hartline, because SOMEONE had to catch the ball for us. You can't judge football by looking at someone's end-of-year stats.

19. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

So, your whole idea of "competing" is to sign 20 free agents a year?

And to throw 75 million on the top free agent every year?

I think the Raiders need a new GM.. you should give them a call :ponder:

20. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Whether or not he was being force fed irrelevant the fact is that he Ha to get open and he had to cat h the ball, most good receivers are force fed! And I've said this 100 times but I'll say it again, scoring TD's is a team effort! How many times did Hartline get behind the defense only to be over thrown or under thrown ?? I'd say 4-5 maybe so too me, those were TD's that he could have had had someone else done their jobs correctly! Gotta count those when evaluating individual players

21. dadecounty

dadecounty Well-Known Member

I guess the poster is so used to not having our draftees pan out that he thinks signing veterans is the way to go. Our first 5 round picks should be on our team but our selections have been so mediocre that you don't see that.

22. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Your post is completely irrelevant as any team with a good QB, as you stated above, wouldn't draft a QB anyways.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

23. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Swope has had multiple concussions already in his college career, I have not doubts about his familiarity with offense and his talent, BUT, his concussion history would worry me.

24. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

25. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Ummm that's not true... New England did it TWICE! Green Bay did it. Lots of teams draft players even though they have a solid starter on the roster

26. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Not saying that we should go crazy signing old vets! But young 26 year old proven commodities..... Over unproven rookies Yea I'm doing that!

27. dadecounty

The problem is that we're going to shell out a lot of cash at them and always be to the neck with cap room. I think after this draft its either make or brake for Ireland. If he still stays and these draftees don't pan out I think signing veterans will be the way to go if we keep him. If you look at the past 2 drafts without Parcell's excuse we really don't have anything special on the top draft picks (no one better say Odrick and Misi is something to go home and brag about).

28. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

I hear you but let's say we sign Wallace and then draft a couple of WR, lets assume we hit on those rookies a couple of years from now when Wallace becomes too expensive it's easier to cut ties with him because then the rookies will be able to step up and take over. That way we don't put ourselves in a position to A hope the rookies are able to contribute immediately, or B be forced to either resign an older more expensive Wallace or be stuck with no replacements

29. dadecounty

BANG! I think you're the smartest guy in this forum. I say this every year, if we can't re-sign players and keep them and keep drafting players at their position we will never be good because there isn't no competition on the field. How is a rookie going to get better if he gets handed the keys to the car? If we get Wallace and never draft a WR how are we going to be good at WR when we cut Wallace when we never drafted one?

30. dadecounty

I totally Agree with you

31. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

32. daniel3

daniel3 Starter

There were number twos on other teams that had more targets than Hartline, so to say he was being force fed is a bit much. Not to mention it seemed like we never really targeted our receivers at all in or anywhere near the red zone (i can't be only one that noticed that) is a huge reason why we had such minimal TD production from the unit.

33. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

34. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Aside from GB, what team drafted a QB with the full intent of having an open QB competition, let alone a first round QB. Who did NE draft with the intent of that QB raplacing TB? Any to make my pint even clearer. QB is the only position where this is the exception, point and case.. You post in which I was responding to stated otherwise.

35. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

You act like this forum has some kind of power, that it obviously doesn't. The bottom line is this is Ross's team and he will do what he wants when it comes to firing or backing the GM. It seems obvious to me there is a plan going forward. Do you honestly think the plan is to win the Super Bowl 2013?

36. Digital

Digital Starter

Personally, I'd draft 2 or 3 WR's to develop with Tannehill. We're only in year 2 of what will probably be a 15'ish year career with Tannehill. I'd like to get some very talented young WR's to grow with him as the core of our team for the next decade plus.

Now that we've locked up Hartline, I think we have the flanker position settled and a guy to give us production while the rookies learn from him and develop. Certainly a guy like Swope could step right in and contribute in the slot, giving us 2 reliable receivers right now, and if we don't draft Swope, Bess can contribute as another possession guy between the 20's.

So if we bring in a FA, that's fine, but we definitely need to draft WR's early for the long term. That's what teams do. Remember, Duper, Marino and Clayton were all brought in a year or so apart and grew together with veteran Nat Moore. Washington added Garcon and Morgan to Moss and Hankerson for RGIII. Indy resigned Wayne and drafted 2 rookie WR's and 2 rookie TE's for Luck, including his best TE from college. If we are smart, we build around Tannehill, and that means drafting high quality WR's and TE for him to start building chemistry with starting the 2013 season.