Remember this, folks!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fisi, Dec 26, 2012.

1. fisi

fisi A True Fan Donator

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...nd-teams-getting-ready-for-free-agency-frenzy

No team has more than the Miami Dolphins, who as of Thursday morning, were a whopping $44 million under the $116 million salary cap.

And this was 4yrs ago, who did this guy sign? Bunch of nobodies. Wide reciever that couldn'y catch, an OL that was later released and replaced. As a matter of fact, Randt Starks is te only player remaining since 2008 that is still on the roster. Do you still trust this guy for an encore???

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

No one trusts Ireland except for the few homers that bends over any guy with a Dolphins logo on it.

3. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Thankfully that guy, Parcells, isn't here anymore.

4. PhinMagic

PhinMagic A True Fan

Ummmm.... Did we not win the division that year and go 11-5?

5. Lerchbizzle23

Lerchbizzle23 Active Member

BOOM!!!!

That just happened!!!!!

6. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

So it is OK to spend 44M in salaries for 1 division title followed by three consecutive losing seasons and counting? Had that money been well spent, 75% of the players we signed with it would still be productive member of the team. No doubt that 44M was completely wasted, hopefully Ireland doesnt waste it this time around.

7. Cutthroat

Cutthroat Scout Team

Wasn't that the first year of the "Parcells Era" when, by all accounts Parcells was making the decisions?

I am not a homer that "bends over any guy with a Dolphins logo on it," but by the same token, I do like an accurate, reasonable discussion that accounts for all of the facts, not the agenda driven half truths, selective memory, hindsight drafting, comparing the Dolphins drafts to the players taken in a given year by all 31 other teams and other faulty arguments that are made against Ireland.

Like most everyone, I am not satisfied with the progress this team has made to this point. However, I believe that the lack of continuity, more than any other factor is what has crippled the team the most for the past 10 years. A GM needs to get in sync and work with a coach regarding what type of players are needed, players need to have skills that match a coaches philosophy and get in sync with the scheme. The Dolphins have not had continuity between GM, coach and players for any significant period of time for over a decade and all the reactionary ideas people have on this board are simply going to continue that problem.

I seriously question whether Ireland is the best person for the GM role with the Dolphins. That said, I believe that under the circumstances, the best chance for success next year includes retaining him.

Lastly, for all the complaints about his failures in free agency. Please keep in mind that 90% of the time, Ireland (and Parcells) went into free agency looking for backups, role players, etc that could be had on the cheap. They believed in building through the draft. You can question that approach, but as a general rule, they were not shooting for starting material. When they have gone after starter types and paid the corresponding salaries, they have not been horrible. Not excellent, but not horrible.

8. PhinMagic

PhinMagic A True Fan

True but the fact of the matter is Pennington was a rental and Henne was a pile of dog **** during those years. When the QB position looks awful year in and year out, its kinda hard to be a consistently good team.

9. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Dolphins were about to go into Opening Day with Josh McCown that year....JOSH FREAKING MCCOWN!!!

10. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

Why do we need to remember this? It's not like we can do anything about it. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

11. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

I'm so sick of hearing about Ireland wasting money/picks. Is he the best GM in the league? Not by a long shot, but he had TONY SPARANO and his INEPT staff developing these players. Putting these players in a failed game plan from the beginning. Now we have a new HC, that seems to know what what the **** he wants, and what to do with the players when he gets them. No wonder our last draft was Irelands best? I know this is a hard concept for some to grasp here..

People get offended when I "brush over" Irelands past years like they don't count. Well that's because they don't! When Ireland was rehired his tenure here started over and thus his track record with the Fins. After what I've seen from Sparano, with his time in Miami and the utter embarrassment of an offense he fielded in NY, I'm convinced that NO GM in the league would have succeeded with this guy at HC. Not one..

12. eleven11

eleven11 Active Member

If the cap is actually 121m as reported in another thread, that's another 5 mil baby! We better not f**k this up this year. As JI said, I got picks and money. Go Dolphins even with our "new" tail up logo lol.:tumbleweed:

13. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Who gave Parcells his intelligence to make decisions? Someone brought the old man the information to make decisions.

The guy that brought the old man Patrick Turner also selected Michael Egnew.

14. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

This thread is about free agency, not the draft.

15. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

So, the general manager wasn't part of the intelligentsia that selected the likes of Ernie Wilford? Parcells didn't rely on his personnel department, headed by the GM, to make his dubious selections? It's a canard to simply blame Parcells for Gibril Wilson and Ernie Wilford. The proof is in the pudding, and the free agency mess after the old man left follows the same pattern as when the old man was here. As an example, suspiciously, long after the old man was gone, the GM selected Legedu Naanee as his big WR acquisition in free agency. And the identification of Naanee seems to fit the same style as Ernie Wilford.

Connect the dots, and you see a pattern of talent identification. Free agency or the draft, it doesn't matter. The point is that the current GM was the same GM 5 years ago. Whether the old man made the final decision or not, he made it based on input/intelligence/data/recommendations/strategy from his personnel department, headed by the GM. Free agency in '12 was as bad as ever. At least the old man found Starks. The '12 free agency class was an utter disaster which proves the point.

So, firstly, you can find the common thread even after the old man was long gone. Naanee. Wilford. Nalbone. Egnew. Turner. You can see that the current GM has been involved in a certain trend of players he likes. And it hasn't worked.

Secondly, he is constantly taking one step forward and then two steps back. Come March, in a 12 month period, he will have lost Long, Marshall, Merling, Davis, and Langford. That's two number one picks (including the first overall), three number two's, and a number three that he recklessly squandered. From the last 5 drafts. 6 day one and day two picks did not end up in the build for the future. That's poor management. We need to build up a program where the talent synergistically gets combined. Not the clustermess this constantly is.

I am not 100% against Ireland. He passed on some bad qb's which was to his credit for staying the course. He has been mentored poorly. But I don't like his apparent blaming of the old man or the old idiot coach, or blaming the current coach for Egnew. The fact is that he has been the GM for the past 5 years. He has been part of the talent identification team, so he's been part of the problem. He can't cowardly hide from the colossal mistakes when he was in the room when they were made. If he sits there blindly like some fans do, then he will F up this most critical offseason. He needs to understand that his analysis has not been right and needs corrective action.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

they live in the past. its all they got.

17. hardcorefin

hardcorefin Member

Like him or not we will STILL have to deal with his decisions....for now!

18. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Ok fine. Look at his most recent free agency class. 2012, not the past. Train wreck.

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

We as dolphin fans the past is all we got. I mean how many fans from teams have to live in 1972 to have something to brag about,

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

He was just collecting a check those years, Im sure Parcells did all the talent evaluation and made these choices blind lol.
    Lets also his ignore this seasons awful free agency and the Manning debacle where he wouldnt even talk to Miami until marino had to step in but who knows lets risk even more of the future of the franchise on the gm that has built a team that has 4 straight non winning seasons. amazing how 5 years ago Atlanta and us were considered in shambles but their GM had the vision to make them one of the best teams in the league(yea bring up they havent won a playoff game but continually winning home field advantage damn sure will set them up to win some playoff games). That was a franchise that hadnt had a winning season in 3 years were coming off a horrible year now are onto their 5th straight winning season and 4th playoff appearence. That franchise for good or bad has a vision and continually try to improve their team.

21. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Dlockz, the Falcons are a good example, but so are the Colts. And it's not just because of Luck. Their personnel department did a great job in one offseason.

Whle Ireland was contemplating his navel, the Colts re-signed Wayne and brought in Brazile and Hilton at receiver, plus Allen and Fleener at TE, along with stud LB Freeman from Canada. Boom 10 wins and the playoffs.

22. dolpns13

So it was Sparanos coaching for the reason as to why Smiley, Grove, Steinbach, Gerrard etc.. got hurt and escaped with the garuanteed money that Ireland gave to them. Soooo, how about this season, at best we will be 8-8 and missing the playoffs for a 4th straight year. What is the only common demoninatory here? You hit the nail on the head, Ireland. Sparano was bad, but so is Ireland.

23. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

How long are people here going to defend Ireland? They defended Wanny and Fiedler too. And of course it's a matter of minutes before some idiot says that we won with Fiedler when in fact, we won EVEN THO we had him. The defence carried him and Wanny too. A defence that JJ put together.All Ireland has done is either trade for or draft guys like Marshall and Davis and then got back less in return for them than what he paid to get them in the first place. But hey, that's Parcells fault too.

Ozzy rules!!

24. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

If you are referring to my post, which it seems like you are. I wouldn't call it "defending Ireland", I know he's not that great and I said as much. I would call it dealing with reality. And the reality of the situation is Ireland is coming back. So you can say "why are people defending Ireland" and on the same token I can say "why are people still bitching about him". He's coming back, end of story, and we have every right to be optimistic about where this team is headed.

Also, you can ***** about Marshall and Davis or like the post above you listing players that got guaranteed money and didn't work out but if you look at every other team in the NFL you can put together a list of dud trades/draft picks/waiver or FA pickups. Every single team.. Ireland is the reason for a lot of duds but he's also the reason why we have the best Center in the AFC, one of the best up-in coming Safties (5th round steal), the best 4-3 D-end in the league, and what seems (to me at least) to be a franchise QB.

This league is about having a franchise QB and HC. I believe that we have that now, and despite Irelands short comings so far as GM his track record is only going to get progressively better. I'll repeat what I said in my previous post - I truly believe that no GM in the league would have been successful with Sparano and his staff leading things on the field. We have a talented young roster and are only a few players away from being a perennial playoff contender.

If some perfect GM came along with a history acquiring talent that fit the schemes we run here and also got along with Philbin. Then SURE bring in this magical GM that no one here knows of in and lets build a winner. Well that didn't happen so this is what we got. And how could anyone here not be excited about where we are heading? I can feel it that's for sure..

25. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

My favorite are the blind followers who sit there and defend guys like Sparano to the bitter end. Then a year later, he is fired, and the people that were so wrong for so long just change their tune to "I'm not living in the past." Then two years later when Sparano's idiocy is again discovered by another organization, the blind followers immediately move the new thread about Miami's old coach to the depths to avoid any discourse and dismiss it with "I"m not here to revel in a person ever getting fired and let's not live in the past."

Rather than have a fair and honorable discussion, that's what you get from some blind homers.

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Thats a message board for u. I mean look at Brandon Marshall. He has been a scumbag his entire adult life but a damn good receiver. We trade for him and people defend him up and down. He is a beast as they called it. Then he has an awesome pro bowl people love Brandon . Then he gets traded in March and he is was a cancer here and he really isnt that good. Hell even during the coaching search MCoy was an awesome hire when the rumor was out there and then when it wasnt him , he has a poor attitude or really want that good a choice. I love it here

27. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

Digging up stuff from 5 years ago and dropped into another Ireland thread............... awesome.

28. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

What were Irelands duties the first 3 years he was in Miami? I'm serious, I'd really like to know what we were paying him for, I'm guessing he's making a 7 figure salary so he must have had some responsibilities for those years.

29. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

A lot of the posters that are tired of the Ireland "whiners" are the same ones that whine about lack of fans going to games week after week. You might be right that complaining about Ireland won't accomplish anything but neither will whining about the lack of fans at the game. Whats ironic is Ireland is the reason for the lack of fans at the games.

30. dolpns13

Kinda like Junc is all the time.