Reminds me of 2008 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reminds me of 2008

CorduroyG

Rookie
Reaction score
That team started off 0-2 and 2-3, but showed some signs early on they were better than what everyone thought. Had a very easy schedule that they took advantage of and ended up winning the division. And they actually had a competent qb. And that was sparanos 1st year right? This is philbins 1st year, despite a 1-3 record we've seen many signs we're better than what everyone thought, we got a very soft schedule coming up, and we got a competent qb. That's why this is a huge game, 2-3 with the schedule we got we should be in the thick of the playoff hunt in nov/dec. 1-4 is tough to bounce back from without a long winning streak.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

agreed, and also in 2008 our first 3 losses were to vs jets, at cards, and at houston? sound familiar?

maybe its 2008 all over again with better playoff results lol

This team does not have an easy schedule. Right now our SOS is tied for 5th strongest in the NFL and that's with everyone in our division at .500 and the real reason we surprised everyone that year was because of the wildcat...a gimmick play that no longer works. What Philbin is doing is laying the foundation for good, solid football...no trick plays needed.

This team does not have an easy schedule. Right now our SOS is tied for 5th strongest in the NFL and that's with everyone in our division at .500 and the real reason we surprised everyone that year was because of the wildcat...a gimmick play that no longer works. What Philbin is doing is laying the foundation for good, solid football...no trick plays needed.
cincy is our hardest game by far until dec 2nd and even cincy is medicore at best. we have lots of poor teams coming up

cincy is our hardest game by far until dec 2nd and even cincy is medicore at best. we have lots of poor teams coming up
You can tell yuourself that but a .540 winning percentage of our opponents this year tells me something else. Take out the .500 winning percentage of our division and it's a .549 winning percentage of our opponents. This is not an easy schedule.

You can tell yuourself that but a .540 winning percentage of our opponents this year tells me something else. Take out the .500 winning percentage of our division and it's a .549 winning percentage of our opponents. This is not an easy schedule.
ya but thats also bc teams like the rams, seahawks, jets and bills are 2-2. that accounts for 5 of the games coming up.

the seahawks, rams, and jets are not as good as there record, meaning these are really below 500 caliber teams,

we shall see, but from watching our front 7 dominate vs the run and get pressure on qbs, and tanne and the wrs playing a lot better than expected, i have hope for a change.

ya but thats also bc teams like the rams, seahawks, jets and bills are 2-2. that accounts for 5 of the games coming up.

the seahawks, rams, and jets are not as good as there record, meaning these are really below 500 caliber teams,

we shall see, but from watching our front 7 dominate vs the run and get pressure on qbs, and tanne and the wrs playing a lot better than expected, i have hope for a change.

You are what your record says you are and to say those teams are below .500 even though they're not would be wrong. Seattle's defense is very, very good and if you want to play the "their not as good as their record" card we can say the Patriots (which we still have to play twice) and Titans are better than their record says they are. Titans were 9-7 last year.

You are what your record says you are and to say those teams are below .500 even though they're not would be wrong. Seattle's defense is very, very good and if you want to play the "their not as good as their record" card we can say the Patriots (which we still have to play twice) and Titans are better than their record says they are. Titans were 9-7 last year.
pats are deff much better than there record indicates, and if u have watched tenn play this year they ****ing blow.

Our strength of schedule is 20th; next 7 games: Cincy, St Louis Bye Week Jets Titans Bills Seahawks ...is that not an easy run?

That team started off 0-2 and 2-3, but showed some signs early on they were better than what everyone thought. Had a very easy schedule that they took advantage of and ended up winning the division. And they actually had a competent qb. And that was sparanos 1st year right? This is philbins 1st year, despite a 1-3 record we've seen many signs we're better than what everyone thought, we got a very soft schedule coming up, and we got a competent qb. That's why this is a huge game, 2-3 with the schedule we got we should be in the thick of the playoff hunt in nov/dec. 1-4 is tough to bounce back from without a long winning streak.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I agree mostly. Except Pennington was better than Tanny is right now. But Tanny is smart, and with his work ethic he may turn into a Pennington type player with great arm strength, aka a superstar. But yeah I can see this team coming back around from here on out and finishing 9-7, if we can end at 9-7 and beat the pats twice, we could win the division. Y now? Jets are in serious trouble right now, Bills dont seem that great to me. Pats seem a bit off, with a weak D. If we can play like we did against Arizona and cut back on some to's we could be a pretty good team this year.

pats are deff much better than there record indicates, and if u have watched tenn play this year they ****ing blow.
In other words your using a double standard. Teams with a better record for you aren't as good as their record says they are and teams with a worse record are as bad as their record says they are.

Our strength of schedule is 20th; next 7 games: Cincy, St Louis Bye Week Jets Titans Bills Seahawks ...is that not an easy run?
The Rams don't look to easy right now. 3-1 Cincy, 3-2 Rams, 2-2 Jets, 1-3 Titans, 2-2 Bills, 2-2 Seahawks...13-12 combined...better than .500.

The strength of schedule I use is for the season, not just who we've played but if our strength of schedule is 20th after playing a 4-0 Houston team, a 1-3 Oakland team, a 2-2 Jets team and a now 4-1 Arizona team for a combined record of 11-6 (.647 winning percentage) then I'd like to know who the 19 teams with a tougher schedule in front of us have played.

Rams did well against AZ tonight, not as easy a game as I first thought.

In other words your using a double standard. Teams with a better record for you aren't as good as their record says they are and teams with a worse record are as bad as their record says they are.

The Rams don't look to easy right now. 3-1 Cincy, 3-2 Rams, 2-2 Jets, 1-3 Titans, 2-2 Bills, 2-2 Seahawks...13-12 combined...better than .500.

The strength of schedule I use is for the season, not just who we've played but if our strength of schedule is 20th after playing a 4-0 Houston team, a 1-3 Oakland team, a 2-2 Jets team and a now 4-1 Arizona team for a combined record of 11-6 (.647 winning percentage) then I'd like to know who the 19 teams with a tougher schedule in front of us have played.
Look at teams injuries and how they played against their opponents. The rams just lost their only competent receiver who will be out for 4-6 weeks and bradford has been below average since his rookie season all they can do is run the ball and luckily we are the best against it. Jets are going downhill fat they won't have revis or sanchez only receiver and I'm not even sure he will be QB. Titans are complete garbage if you watched them. Bills are suffering from some key injuries and have not looked very good so far we can beat them and 'd bet for it. Cincy is our biggest test and seattle afterwards but both beatable teams. Seahawks should be 1-3 too.

There are definitely numerous parallels to 2008. In much the same way, both the fanbase and the players/coaches in the lockerroom seem to feel like the team is better than its record. Even early on in 2008, you had that feeling the Phins were going to turn it around, get to .500, and then go on a streak. Of course the easy schedule helped, but lots of no-name players made clutch plays and mistakes were limited to ridiculously low levels. I just get the feeling this team has the potential to do the same, with the key being Tannehill limiting his turnovers to Pennington-like levels.

The big difference between 2008 and this year is Chad Pennington. Can Tannehill, in his rookie season, really be the type of leader that Pennington was?? I've got high hopes for the kid, but that is just unlikely.

We had IMO a lot more issues altogether in 2008. Even when we started winning after introducing the Wildcat, most people didn't consider the playoffs likely until Favre and the Jets started a massive choke job. We also road huge seasons from Andre Goodman and Joey Porter down the stretch.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the run. But there were a lot of games we could've and should've lost late but somebody on defense was able to kill a drive.

Back
Top Bottom