Report: Garrard outplayed Tannehill and Moore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Garrard outplayed Tannehill and Moore

Nice to see Garrard performing well, even if it is OTA's.

It's early in this battle, but I'm glad to hear he's doing well. If he begins to play like the healthy Pro Bowl caliber player he was then he definitely has a shot at winning the job.

Garrard has the most experience and considering it's a new system it is no surprise he is ahead. Looks like David's back is feeling better and having a year off has helped him. What i am excited about is the dolphins are running 2 minute drills allot getting used to running the offense at a higher tempo something we haven't seen the dolphins do in a long time.
:hclap:

Not surprising. I expect that to continue. I've said many times, going all the way back to the day he was officially signed, that I expect him to earn the starting job.

Matt Moore is not a good practice player. He's better in the games than he is in practice, I believe.

Ryan Tannehill knows the offense. That's true enough. But David Garrard knows the offense AND the defense.

While it's nice from a pure development standpoint that Ryan Tannehill is in a comfortable playbook to where he can begin immediately acclimating to the increased speed of the game, and learning how NFL defenses like to attack him, knowing the playbook is not something that is going to see him starting from day one. It's not THAT big of an advantage. For veterans like Moore and Garrard, learning the playbook is just a matter of time, and not even that much time.

Garrard already essentially knows the playbook. There isn't a single play in there he hasn't seen before. It was just called something else, when he learned it. He was taught the WCO by Bill Musgrave for a couple of years when he joined the league, I think his first two or three years. The other offenses he had with Dirk Koetter and others, there were a lot of WCO elements in there, just as with many offenses around the NFL. He talked about how early in his career he thought learning a new playbook was very daunting, but now he feels like he's got it right away because he's seen all of this before and just has to learn the names of the plays and how to call them. The biggest transition for him will be the hand signaling because he might not be used to that. But it's not going to be that big a deal for a heady veteran like him, any more than it was for Chad Pennington.

I've seen Miami's QB situation compared with the Titans' QB situation in 2011 and I like that comparison. The problem is, people think Matt Moore is the Matt Hasselbeck. I don't think so. I think David Garrard is. He will get a firmer grasp on the playbook faster than Matt Moore. He will look better in practice. He's already a favorite of Joe Philbin's and that is one of the reasons he's here. He's more of a guy you can count on to take Ryan Tannehill under his wing than Matt Moore, who is trying to make his name and does not appreciate the competition. I think Garrard has a better veteran presence and the players will gravitate toward him more. His game is more compatible with Mike Sherman's, as well. I don't think Joe Philbin is in love with Matt Moore and I think his praise of him in the past has almost come across as like a backhanded compliment.

Gerrard is not a bad QB, he worked his way up in that mess called JAX. Hes a proven playmaker, and lets not forget how much talent he had surrounding him on the Jags......Its nice having multiple options at QB, hopefully one will finally work.

I like the fact that Gerrard took a Jags team with no WRs to the playoffs.

May the best man win...

I think it will take some time for Tannehill to get used to the speed of the game in the NFL.

While I agree that Garrard will be the week 1 starter, I hope nobody is expecting more than a game managing type of QB out of him. His stats are less than impressive. He's an 86 career QB rating, not a 90. He's thrown more than 20 TDs only once in his career. the only 2 seasons in which he started all 16 games, he finished with ratings of 82 and 84 (rounded up). He averaged 19 tds to 12 ints his last 2 seasons. If he played like he did in 07 (18 and 3), That would be great. But while our future at the QB position looks like it could be bright, Garrard does not get me excited in the least bit as the starter this season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3636/david-garrard

Yea, this should really be no surprise to anyone at all, in fact I think the only way Garrard doesn't end up the starter this season is if he just isn't healthy.

Through more than the last half of last season, outside of NE, we played the best ball in the division, and had the best performing QB. If Garrard, or even T-Hill beats Moore out in a fair competition, it means we've even upgraded beyond that and are likely looking pretty good.

May the best man win...

I think it will take some time for Tannehill to get used to the speed of the game in the NFL.

Exactly. Matt Moore is the crowd favorite ( and owner choice) but if David takes advantage of Matt's poor practice habits and is clearing our best choice to start the season so be it. Tannehill will get his shot but it's nice to have veteran options.

Through more than the last half of last season, outside of NE, we played the best ball in the division, and had the best performing QB. If Garrard, or even T-Hill beats Moore out in a fair competition, it means we've even upgraded beyond that and are likely looking pretty good.

No matter who starts we should be at better shape at QB than we have been since Pennington signed.

Back
Top Bottom