Report: Jeff Ireland to stay Dolphins GM despite bullying controversy

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny68, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

"The bullying scandal that rocked the NFL earlier this season made a mockery of the Dolphins’ locker room and had Miami general manager Jeff Ireland looking like a lame duck just waiting for the inevitable ax. However, after a pair of crucial wins against the Jets and Steelers, Miami is back in the thick of the playoff race, and Ireland appears to have saved his skin once again."
    "Ireland has been told by Dolphins owner Jeremy Ross that his job is safe, according to the Miami Herald. So, it appears that Dolphins fans will get to continue their “Fireland” campaign for at least one more season."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/report-dolp...-as-general-manager-despite-bullying-scandal/

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/report-dolp...-as-general-manager-despite-bullying-scandal/

2. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Jeremy Ross?

3. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Not sure who "Jeremy" Ross is tho!

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

this is what happens when a guy can hitch his wagon to a young legitimate qb in the making...you can ride his coattails

5. dobrasz54

dobrasz54 Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Oh yeah Jeremy Ross.....good guy.

6. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Great now we can watch him screw the 2014 draft up too

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i would say first thing you will watch is him dump a ton of money into the oline in free agency...seems to be his mo to date...try to fix problems with money vs the draft...and yeah he will definitely take some crappy players in the draft...you can set your watch to both

8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Easy to confuse Stephen Ross and Ron Jeremy. Only their mothers can tell them apart.

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

A report based on a report by Armando. Seems legit.

10. mithga13

mithga13 Well-Known Member

Ironically, I don't have huge issues with his drafts. But he severely overpays for free agent talent. And he's whiffed way too much on oline free agents, and I don't often agree with his last cut or two at the end of preseason. But I do find it funny that what is generally considered the hardest part of being a GM(drafting) is not what bothers me the most.

I think he takes guys that have talent but that take a year or two or three to develop, which is why he spends so much on other teams free agents. By the time some of his picks are up to speed, their rookie contracts are almost up, so he's not saving himself a lot. But I think his draft success is at least average if not slightly better than average.

11. JERSEYFINFAN23

JERSEYFINFAN23 Starter

there has been soooooo many questionable moves in the past 5 seasons, who is to blame for what?
    all I know is they need to draft TALENT and then USE the talent.

12. Keonxl

Keonxl Well-Known Member

Great, so now he will let grimes walk because he makes plays. Watch him sign some scrub to replace him because he was 3 dollars cheaper.

13. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I expect the full house to remain if we make the playoffs.

14. buzzardmountain

buzzardmountain Well-Known Member

We will draft 14 defensive ends...

15. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

Hahaha Jeremy

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

16. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

Damn, return 2 kicks for TD's in the snow on Sunday and then Monday you are the Dolphins owner and keeping Jeff Ireland.

[​IMG]

What a weekend for this kid.

I actually wish the story made Jeff Ross the owner instead. First thing on the Agenda, The Jeff Ireland Roast. That would be classic. Invite Sparano, Parcells, Karlos Dansby, Reggie Bush, Dez Bryant and others to join in on the fun.

[​IMG]

17. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Some of you are getting way to worked up over this Ireland stuff right now. There are still three weeks to go and everyone knows that in season vote of confidence from Owners means nothing. If the team tanks these last three weeks, miss the playoffs and have a losing season then Ireland will probably be fired. If the team finishes 10-6 or 9-7 and makes the playoffs then this season was a step forward and a success. At that point it means Ireland made the right decisions.

Just let it play out, enjoy the playoff run and worry about whether Ireland deserves to stay once the season is over.

18. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

Agree. I'm no Ireland fan but the story for 2013 has not been written yet, so let's see how we finish. I have to give the front office credit though, for keeping the ship from falling apart this season. Also if Tannehill continues to develop then all sins are forgiven in my book. After yesterday the kid has proven to have big time potential, and yes, he was an Ireland pick. In case you haven't noticed, I'm all in on drafting Eric Ebron!

19. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

"Keeping this ship from falling apart" isn't good enough. This organization should not be accepting consistent mediocrity, they should be shooting for the Super Bowl.

20. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Another terrible decision by Ross. Smh

21. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

22. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Defensive tackles. Jefflon strikes again.

23. ProStyle

ProStyle Well-Known Member

Bullying aside, how does he stay despite losing for 6 years and drafting like shat and overspending on free agents? How does he stay in spite of being an utter idiot for 6 years?

24. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

He's Jefflon. No blame sticks to him.

25. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

His warm and charming personality!

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

He's got to have dirt on Ross or something

26. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I ****ing hate Jefflon.

27. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Easily answered: because Ross isnt that great of an owner.

Other then the obvious reasons for wanting Ireland fired(i sure do miss hitting on second round picks, though im apparently a minority in that feeling), i am eager to hear Ross publicly cursing him out "Sparano-style" a year or more after he is let go. Should be damned entertaining.

28. mbhcu98

mbhcu98 Well-Known Member

This is a dumb statement considering how much we had last off season and this. You don't get that good of a cap situation by spending frivolously. Think.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

What moves?

29. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

You have that much to spend because you draft like crap and you don't resign your own guys

30. mbhcu98

As every organization should. The "keeping the ship from falling apart" is exactly what the "FRONT OFFICE" should've done during the martin fiasco. I mean, is the "FRONT OFFICE" supposed to be making coaching decisions during the season?lol.

31. mbhcu98

Makes no sense. NONE!!!! Considering Clabo, McKinnie and Wallace are the only starters on offense not drafted by the team and 6 starters on D were also drafted or taken from Canada.lol. These are facts and not deprived from some emotional hate of another man.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/mia/formation/4-3-defense

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Then go look at how many backups are draft picks or rookie free agent pick ups. Get a clue. Ireland isn't half as bad as some say he is.

32. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

but why would you want to resign crap?

too funny.

33. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Sure he drafted a few guys that have stuck, none are elite and we struggle every week to score 20pts. Scroll through his draft picks and FA signings. 4:1 busts and not 1 elite guy. If you're cool with that then what can I say. There is a reason we struggle to win half our games. But like our equally inept president says 'if you like your GM you can keep your GM'.

34. finfan54

People are refusing to see the progression aside from the record.

my god, we just beat the cheatin steelers in the snow. no improvement seen there? What does Ireland have to do with this? This was the team doing this. Not Jeff Ireland. But he did draft Hartline, Tannehill, Clay, and D. thomas. All playmakers yesterday. Its about the progression.

but for the Ireland haters, its about Ireland and nothing more. Got to get rid of that guy by losing, and when we win, we have to keep the heat on.

Dont get it.

35. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Terrible drafts and terrible FA signings. After 6 years we should be contending not crossing our fingers hoping to back our way into a winning record. Just think how good we could be if he didn't waste every 2 and third round pick and millions and millions trying to build an OL twice.

36. finfan54

I disagree. Statements prove nothing to me.

37. Gonzo

Probably because it's the only measure that counts in the end. Maybe we can act like something else matters the day we get an automatic SB bid for our 3rd year running back finally breaking a run for over 30 yards for the first time in his career (and first over 20 in the season).

Do you honestly expect those of us who think he's a poor GM (Hater? Grown men shouldn't use certain terms) will change our opinions after one win? Even 2? Tell you what, I'll happily start to reconsider if we actually manage to get into the playoffs. Actually, most of the credit will go to Philbin for managing the fiasco of a line Ireland built for him and a defense that has managed to get softer despite big offseason moves. Some of us aren't so accustomed to mediocrity that one win can change our views.

38. roy_miami

How many wins did not having a decent LT cost us this season? McKinnie isn't even that good and its like a night and day difference, plus if Ireland was competent he would have been able to find a replacement for Incognito at some point over the past 2 seasons, maybe avoiding the fiasco. Those 2 mistakes cost us at least one win (which will likely cost us making it to the playoffs) and if we had a good LT from the start maybe we'd be in the race for a bye week and home field advantage instead of hoping a team falters for the final playoff spot.

The sad state of the o-line is 100% Ireland's fault.

39. finfan54

So dion Jordan leads to mediocrity? Ryan Tannehill in 29 games leading to mediocrity? There are things yet to happen. If you choose to see mediocrity in the future, why on earth would another GM change that now?

40. kasaba13

kasaba13 Seasoned Veteran

Compare our drafts with NE and see what you get. Then look at the Pats constant FA busts. They have Brady and a cheating coach which helps but they are not reloading with talent. I think people expect every top 3 pick to be a stud. That never happens with any team. So much comes down to getting a franchise QB then getting some pieces around him. It is early but we may finally have that developing for us now. Just enjoy being relevant and see how it unfolds. I think some people just revel in misery.

41. finfan54

I am going to take this time to tell you something Roy. Ireland is working closely with the coaches in a collaborative manner. You may choose to disagree with this, but when we brought in all the WR's and DB's this year, it was about fixing that along with getting faster. I would say that the state of the Oline WAS 100% the fault of the coaches and players who did not get them prepared to play which they are now doing just fine.

The state of the Oline is not completely fixed, but yesterday, in the snow, we ran for 180 yds. We basically went from giving up 5 sacks a game to two on avg. (which is a very managable stat when you start to have an offense that can overcome 3rd and longs). They obviously have been playing much better for about 4 weeks now. So it seems that the Oline is the main problem.

So Jeff and Joe and co. go out and find there OL this coming draft. What is wrong with that? Meanwhile, we roll along on offense and get a tall WR/TE and big RB and we upgrade our weakness. Rome wasnt built in a season. And dont tell me about the chiefs. He walked into that team with a talented roster only having to nail down the QB position and get some OL.

All wee need to do is draft our OL and gets some bigger parts to work with in the red zone.

If they fail, I will be all over Ireland and Philbin.

42. Gonzo

I actually like Dion Jordan, but dude has barely played, so why on earth are you using him as some sort of example? What next, Egnew? :lol:

As for leading to mediocrity, ah, yes, so far. Unless we win out, we're mediocre. We could still luck out and make a playoff game despite the mediocrity. The problem I'm seeing is that you seem to think it takes apparently a decade or so to turn a team around, despite a TON of evidence that shows it only takes a good GM a couple of years.

I've given him credit for Tannehill as well. He finally drafted THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL (I'm betting you were one of those defending not doing so over all of those years). See, I don't just hate or (in your case) love EVERY move he makes. I've never once denied that he has made good moves. Yet you keep acting like I have. So, great, he finally addressed the most important position in football and FINALLY got us over .500 (hopefully). Only took him, what, 6 years? At that rate, when are we Super Bowl contenders? 10? :lol:

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Sure you will. :lol:

43. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Dion Jordan hasn't done squat for being the #3 overall pick. He MAY develop into a stud, but he just as well may not. Every other pick this draft has been a bust so far and then throw in all the money he pissed away on FA this year, so I think any other GM we would get could do better than that.

44. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Yeah, their GM isn't great either, but they have great QB play and coaching to overcome it. Just think if they had a decent GM. It parallels a lot of what you are seeing in MIA, decent QB play makes up for a lot of other deficiencies and bad decisions. Why keep handicapping this squad with Ireland?

45. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

That in the countless other players he drafted and sign that are making major contributions everywhere..

46. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

We just watched a team put together by Jeff Ireland beat the Steelers in fantastic fashion (Hartline drafted, Clay drafted, Tannehill drafted, Daniel Thomas drafted and Olivier Vernon drafted)

Those guys are all young young players who are breaking out and showing the NFL that they deserve to be noticed.

47. finfan54

They get one more year IMO. 3 years. I did the same for Sparano, which was the problem for Ireland's first years. Things have changed since then.

As far as mediocrity goes....teams change in midstream. If you choose not to believe that, fine, you can wait for losses so you can call yourself smart. Philbin kept this team together through the most outrageous crap that a narc and a weasal did to this team.

48. roy_miami

Sorry, I'm not buying the o-line's steady improvement over the last 6 games has nothing to do with McKinnie.

49. finfan54

you see, there is your Ireland hater. Relying on what they see now instead of visualizing greatness in progression.

Jason Taylor did what in his first year? btw, that is why I looked right past Jordan in the draft. Because he was JT IMO and he would take some time for the pro game for being drafted in that spot. But.....but, I dont think he will take as long as JT to develope. He, like OV this year, will come alive. He needs a full offseason in the weight room, and you can bet money he will be 275 next year. That makes him much bigger than JT. JT btw, I heard is working with Jordan. He needs to learn some pro moves once he gets strong.

50. Gonzo

I don't need to wait for anything to do that. :hi5: