Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins

Mauluaga brings almost nothing to the table. He's one of those AJ Hawk types that glided by on college production and draft status whose play totally fell off a cliff a few seasons ago. I guess it's fitting we brought him in because we had Hawk in last year for a workout.

Huge pass for me. He'd be so-so in the run game but would wear a target against the pass. There are better options on the current roster ... not to mention better players with upside will hit the market after cuts start happening. This would be a bad panic move. Don't do it.

Mauluaga brings almost nothing to the table. He's one of those AJ Hawk types that glided by on college production and draft status whose play totally fell off a cliff a few seasons ago. I guess it's fitting we brought him in because we had Hawk in last year for a workout.

Huge pass for me. He'd be so-so in the run game but would wear a target against the pass. There are better options on the current roster ... not to mention better players with upside will hit the market after cuts start happening. This would be a bad panic move. Don't do it.

I'm not going to disagree with you that he sucks, I honestly don't know. But who on our roster is a better option for obvious run situations? We have a bunch of quick light dudes like Hewitt, Watts, Hull etc., but we desperately need a thumper. If there's one already on the roster great, but outside of Timmons I don't see one. Losing Koa and Kwon really hurts in the "thumper" department.

So did we ever get the full list of lbs being brought in for a workout today?

I'm not going to disagree with you that he sucks, I honestly don't know. But who on our roster is a better option for obvious run situations? We have a bunch of quick light dudes like Hewitt, Watts, Hull etc., but we desperately need a thumper. If there's one already on the roster great, but outside of Timmons I don't see one. Losing Koa and Kwon really hurts in the "thumper" department.

If we're talking exclusively against the run: Alonso Will - Timmons Mike - Chase Allen/Trevor Reilly Sam. They're both big enough to handle the strong side on base sets and you can take them off the field in the nickel and dime. Allen or Reilly won't leave you any more exposed than Mauluaga and there's possible upside there. I don't have a huge problem with stop gaps because they're necessary sometimes, but not for players who weren't very good to begin with and are basically donezo. Timmons is an okay stop gap ... Mauluaga reeks of desperation.

If it was up to me I'd probably leave Hull in the middle for the time being. See how he plays the next few games at Mike and if he looks too overwhelmed then sign an eventual cut. Then you have an idea of what you have with Hull and can cut him if you feel he won't ever be effective in spot duties. Backups who offer nothing but specials only get you ****ed once injuries rear their ugly head.

Last edited:
If we're talking exclusively against the run: Alonso Will - Timmons Mike - Chase Allen/Trevor Reilly Sam. They're both big enough to handle the strong side on base sets and you can take them off the field in the nickel and dime. Allen or Reilly won't leave you any more exposed than Mauluaga and there's possible upside there. I don't have a huge problem with stop gaps because they're necessary sometimes, but not for players who weren't very good to begin with and are basically donezo. Timmons is an okay stop gap ... Mauluaga reeks of desperation.

If it was up to me I'd probably leave Hull in the middle for the time being. See how he plays the next few games at Mike and if he looks too overwhelmed then sign an eventual cut. Then you have an idea what you have with Hull and can cut him if you feel he won't ever be effective in spot duties. Backups who offer nothing but specials only get you ****ed once injuries rear their ugly head.
Im down with Allen getting some PT.

We are looking for baby swiss cheese, instead of the swiss with large holes.

Back
Top Bottom