Reshad Jones to practice harder | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reshad Jones to practice harder

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Last year the volume on Reshad Jones' impact got turned down.

The Miami Dolphins' starting strong safety went from being one of the most impactful players on the defense in 2012 to becoming just a guy in 2013.
The Dolphins linebacker shift changed his roles, making Jones more responsible for tight end coverage, and tailbacks coming out the backfield, and at times Jones struggled in the new defense.
Not helping matters was the fact this former Georgia standout had just signed a lucrative four-year, $29.3 million contract extension before the season, which helped raise expectations for him to follow up on his breakout year.
Jones doesn't shy away from admitting his play didn't match the expectations, but he also feels like people are making too much of the decline.
"Minus three interceptions it was the same season," Jones said of his 2013 showing, which featured 107 tackles, one and a half sacks, and one interceptions.

Practice is the key. Like [former Dolphins defensive coordinator] Mike Nolan once told me, 'two interceptions in practice equals one in the game.' I'm working on being more prepared and taking practice a little bit more serious," Jones said. "That's why coach sees the difference. I'm just going to practice playing hard and hopefully it carries over to the ball game."

Philbin said Jones has also meshed well with Louis Delmas, the Dolphins' new starting free safety, who will replace Chris Clemons. But even Jones admits they aren't a finished product yet.

The key to getting this batch of defensive backs, which includes a new starting cornerback Cortland Finnegan as well as Delmas, to form camaraderie is communication, Jones said.

"Getting to know each other," Jones said. "They know football. They are smart guys. The key is building that brotherhood. Those are some veteran guys who have played football in this league and they can get it done. Once we build that bond, and start talking the same language we'll be better off."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...s-to-practice-harder-20140627,0,4013573.story

Who knows which R.Jones is going to show up this season?

$30 Mil says you should be eating, breathing, living football 24/7 at ALL TIMES.

What was the cause of Reshad Jones decline last season? Did we just overrate his performances the season before? Any off the field issues?
The Defensive guys seem to be consistently less emotional and better behaved off the field that the Offense. (Anyone else notice that?)

gafin, Thanks for putting up all the threads to give the forum new topics to talk about. After the draft settles, it ain't easy. Well done.

He was super overrated coming into last season (flashed some brilliant play but also had several big coverage lapses that people seemed to not notice)... Definitely did not deserve the contract he got. Hindsight is 20/20 but I know there was more than just a few of us wary of him getting a big extension after just one "good" year. I expect him to be better this year than last, but I don't know if he'll be worth his contract. I hope he is.

Giving Jones a contract extension worth $30 million was literally one of the worst decisions Jeff Ireland has ever made. It was up in the same realm as drafting Pat White in the second round.

Practice harder? So you get paid $30 million and then you stop practicing as hard? Why is this even an article? It makes him look worse, not better.

The day Reshad Jones is on the bench or off this field, is the day our defense gets better. The same goes for Wheeler and to an extent, Ellerbe.

What was the cause of Reshad Jones decline last season? Did we just overrate his performances the season before?

That always been my take. Ive always said he makes a terrible play for every good play he makes. And most of his bad plays aren't as noticeable because he's out of position - biting on the play action or just taking a bad angle to the ball, or just not where he's supposed to be. He's just good enough to get you beat.

He was super overrated coming into last season (flashed some brilliant play but also had several big coverage lapses that people seemed to not notice)... Definitely did not deserve the contract he got. Hindsight is 20/20 but I know there was more than just a few of us wary of him getting a big extension after just one "good" year. I expect him to be better this year than last, but I don't know if he'll be worth his contract. I hope he is.

I don't understand his position change after having a good year. Guess we shall see what we have this year.

The difference in his performance is that we went from Mike Nolan's system to Kevin Coyle's.... Don't underestimate the time it takes to adjust from one system to the another. Just ask Ellerbee and Wheeler (who I expect to play better this year also)

If that's the same article I just read, it says at least part of the problem was that he was more responsible for pass coverages on TE's and backs in 2013. Hopefully he figures that out his year and 2012 wasn't a mirage.

The difference in his performance is that we went from Mike Nolan's system to Kevin Coyle's.... Don't underestimate the time it takes to adjust from one system to the another. Just ask Ellerbee and Wheeler (who I expect to play better this year also)

2012 and 2013 were Coyle's system

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention Mike Nolan is just an immensely better DC than Coyle

Just ask Ellerbee and Wheeler (who I expect to play better this year also)

Let's be honest here, could those two possibly get any worse? Wheeler was literally rated at the bottom. No one graded out worse than he did with the amount of snaps he received. Ellerbee definitely has the higher ceiling between the two IMO, good to see him switch back to his natural position on the weak side.

Back
Top Bottom