Resigning Long | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Resigning Long

robisok

Active Roster
Reaction score
How realistic do you think the chances are that we could resign Jake Long to an incentive heavy contract? Essentially one that pays him a base salary for the type of player he is now (an above average tackle who is injury prone) with incentives if he returns to his form of a few years ago. I know incentives are a bit tougher to measure for a lineman. Also is there anything in the new CBA that would have salary cap implications for doing this? Possibly Long would be up for it since he cashed in nicely on his rookie contract.

How realistic do you think the chances are that we could resign Jake Long to an incentive heavy contract? Essentially one that pays him a base salary for the type of player he is now (an above average tackle who is injury prone) with incentives if he returns to his form of a few years ago. I know incentives are a bit tougher to measure for a lineman. Also is there anything in the new CBA that would have salary cap implications for doing this? Possibly Long would be up for it since he cashed in nicely on his rookie contract.

I doubt he would be up for an incentive laden contract because just like anybody else money is the motivator. Nothing about Long suggests anything different esp the tough stance with his rookie contract

I think the only way that happens is if he has problems passing physicals with some teams. Otherwise, he will be expecting a pretty big payday. I don't see Joe Thomas money anymore, given the injuries the last few years, but probably more than he is worth based on what we have seen the last couple years.

Not really a good fit for the new scheme, but the Dolphins can afford him and he's 1 of 3-4 pro bowl players.. I think he will stay and make top 5 money

11% chance. He's just gonna want to much $. Plus I get the feeling Martin is gonna show enough potential that he will take over the LT position next year. If thats the case then put it at zero, (mark it down dude).

People always bitch about Ireland but they actually don't take the time to look at things he's done differently since Parcells left. Take this situation for instance. When Parcels ran the fins they drafted LT in the 1st & QB in the 2nd. Now with Ireland in charge it was the exact opposite. Coincident, I think not.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I am not really interested in Long anymore.

I know I am in the minority, but I think there's a decent chance we re-sign Long. Signing Long saves us a draft pick we could use elsewhere, and even during a down season, he only gave up 4 sacks.

As far as incentives go, they count against the cap if they are "likely to be earned". The CBA says a bonus is likely to be earned if a player has previuosly achieved that goal. For example, if one of the incentives is for Long to be voted to a Pro Bowl, it would be considered likely to be earned because he has been to the Pro Bowl. If he doesnt reach the Pro Bowl and has that incentive written into his contract, then the team would be be credited with cap space equal to that bonus.

The long situation will play out like the Soliai situation did last year - he will be permitted to test the market and then only resign with the Dolphins if is willing to accept a contract worthy of his current level of play.

The recent article about continuing to improve the dolphins that quoted another GM used a usefulness criteria: a QB that plays in 14 games at a high level. I believe this criteria should be applied to the five important positions when evaluating contracts. The five are QB, 1st corner, LT, Primary pass rusher, and #1 WR. Given Jake's injury history, the most I would offer is the 12th highest paid LT. I am sure someone will offer more.

Jake Long is going to be franchise tagged.

bingo! why let the opportunity go if you know teams will pay him big bucks to be on their squad?

His injuries aside, he is still a very good tackle, and everyone gets injured every so often. It is Incognito who needs a replacement more IMO. Saw Samuida playing a little RG the other day.

Back
Top Bottom