[REVIEW] Titans vs Cowboys | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[REVIEW] Titans vs Cowboys

ChrisKo

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I just returned from the game about an hour ago and have been busy watching the Phins vs Bucs game, thanks again Medeival. But, I wanted to make sure I posted my thoughts on the game with it still fresh in my head.

First, I'll start with my review of the one part of the Cowboys that has a small effect tot he Dolphins, Rashard Lee.

He was used as KR at the start of the game and made a decent gain on a short kick. The ground caused a fumble, so that's not really counted against him. Nothing special as a kick returner.

Next I noticed he was used in kick coverage (both Kick Offs and Punts) and didn't do much. He stayed in his lane and didn't allow any return in his lane.

Next, I got to see him on a few runs against the Titans first defense as George got winded and Tuna didn't want to use Julius just yet. The Cowboys line gave him some decent holes, but he didn't really follow Richie through the holes as he tried to cut into his own lane. I wouldn't have a problem with this if there was actually a lane to cut to. His outside runs weren't very fast and that could also be because the Cowboys line is slower at pulling than ANYONE on our line. I think TimBo might have been able to pull faster.

On the goal line dive up the middle, the line got a good push and he did good to drive it striaght into the LBs and got good push. He also had a decent short 4-5 yard catch and showed soft hands, but that was the only pass thrown his way that I remember.

He didn't do much against the second and third defenses from the Titans either. I should also note that it was rumored that Jeff Fisher was not goign to game plan and it looked that way on defense. They stayed in a straight 4-3 without many blitzes and pretty much shut down the running game.

This is the segue into what I saw from our opening day opponent. Remember, it was rumored that Fisher did not really game plan and just wanted to roll through the game. Their first team units played 1-2 series into the second quarter and promptly stood ont he sideline for the rest of the game.

The Titans D looks pretty good against the run, especially on the outside. Julius was able to get some decent gains on the outside, but he got some good blocking from the WRs and really ran wide to the sideline. The middle looked a little softer, but Samari Rolle didn't play and he'll probably be of big help coming up to stuff the middle.

I was very suprised to see how weak and soft the Titans secondary was. I heard they recently move they're corners around a bit, so maybe that was part of it? But they were caught bad deep and had a lot of pass interference calls against them. They were beat pretty much all the time by the slot guy running a short out underneath the outside receiver going on a fly. That slot guy was SOOOOO open. They also had problems covering the TE (either Campbell or Whitten) and were easily beaten with some TE seam routes. That pretty much sums up what I saw on the D.

The offense didn't play too far into the second quarter, but McNair looks sharp and damn Chris Brown had one hell of a stiff arm. He flattened his guy when he busted a run up the middle outside. Stiff arm layed out the Dallas defender and he cruised into the End Zone. Calico looks like he might have finally figured out the NFL and is reminding me of a young Chambers now. This guy could be the real deal if the Titans would move him to the Number 1 or 2. Maybe he has some consistancy issues that keep him from getting there, but call me impressed. Derrick Mason only had a few balls thrown his way and he looked like his normal self. No other WRs stood out to me.

As I already mentioned Chris Brown I will say that they will not miss Eddie George much at all. Antwoine Smith looks just as he did in NE, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. None of the RBs behind them stood out to me, so I don't think we should call the Titans for anything, unless they want to give us Chris Brown for a 3rd :D

Ben Troupe looked decent, but nothing spectacular. None of the other TEs really did much, so no comment.

Their line looks pretty good at run blocking and their pass protection is a bit shaky. When Dallas sent a blitz witht he LBs from the outsides they seemed to be able to get a lot of pressure. Their middle looked pretty strong, so TimBo and Chester need to keep Zach free to clean up there.

Oh, one last thing, Vinny was able to get an 8-11 yard scramble on them, so either of our QBs (whoever starts) should have an option there if needed. Fiedler you could actually play call a scramble, but I think it would just be a safty valve for AJ :D

Well, hope this is of some sort of entertainment.

Did you notice Roy Williams on that one long completion? He started to blitz, but when he saw he wasn't going to get there, he turned and ran downfield and was the one who made the tackle near the goalline. I think they said it was a 62 yard pass play, so he really covered some ground in a hurry. I don't think Madden or Michaels even mentioned Williams' hustle when they replayed it.

Ya, Roy made the wrong read on that play, but did a good job to save the TD.

I also forgot to mention in my review, the one HUGE thing that stuck out in the game. We should have NEVER let Scott McGarrahan go. If you ever feel that our kick coverage is lacking, then you can attribute that to Scott being gone. Like 3 punts and 1 kick off in a row, Scott made the tackle and was down the field fast. I really miss him. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom