RichmondWeb's perfect 2014 Miami draft: | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RichmondWeb's perfect 2014 Miami draft:

RichmondWeb

Humble FinHeaven Member
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm not falling for the old "round 1 OL panic/reach" (again). We have our LT so we can rebuild our OL the way smart teams do, with mid/late rounders, UFAs, and castoff FAs. It worked for Seattle and Denver who got to the Superbowl on backup Tackles. We even have an OL Coach now! So instead we can draft impact players with incredible upside; the more, the better!

1. #19- Marquis Lee WR, USC (Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham)(sorry, Zack...)

2. #50- Traded to SF for #77, #94, #241, #242 in this scenario. Trade to Cleveland also possible (but less likely) for #71 & #83, OR #71 (or #83), #106, & #127.

3. #77- Christian Jones LB, FSU (Chris Borland, Jordan Tripp, Telvin Smith)

3. #81- Traded to Cleveland for #106 & #127.

3. #94- Jerick McKinnon RB, Georgia Southern (Lache Seastrunk, DeAnthony Thomas)

4. #106- Ahmad Dixon SS, Baylor (Dion Bailey, Ed Reynolds)

4. #116- JaWuan James OT, Tennessee (Billy Turner, Jack Mewhort, Michael Schofield)

4. #127- E. J. Gaines CB, Missouri (Phillip Gaines, Pierre Desir, Louchiez Purifoy)

5. #155- Max Bullough ILB, Michigan St. (Lamin Barrow, Yawin Smallwood)

6. #190- Larry Webster TE, Bloomsburg (Blake Annen, A.C. Leonard, Colt Lyerla)

7. #234- Bryn Renner QB, North Carolina (Brett Smith, Stephen Morris)

7. #241- Russell Bodine C/OG, North Carolina (Tyler Larsen, Spencer Long)

7. #242- Calvin Barnett DT, Oklahoma St. (Zack Kerr, Ryan Carrethers)

The sweet spot in this draft is rounds 3-4 before all those 4th round comps. Plus some extra 7ths are nice in a deep draft like this.

SF is a likely trade up team with too many picks for their talented roster, although they may try to convert some picks into 2015s.

Cleveland, although rebuilding, has too many selections as well and may wish to move up and consolidate. This deal still leaves them with 2-1sts, 1-2nd, and 3-3rds plus their lower picks. With that many 1st-4th picks, hopefully they won't blow them all on day one, and instead make a sweet deal with us!

Except for a few special players, like Lee and McKinnon, there is deep enough talent in this draft to let some other teams go at the trough first. Then using extra picks, come in and clean-up on leftovers. Mostly what we need from this draft are depth and Special Teams guys, with big upside, whom we can coach up for the future!

That is what I would do!

RW

Last edited by a moderator:
San Fran has invested quite a few first rounders into their oline.. seems to have paid off.. and Jawuan James will be long gone by 116... he may not make it to 50

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

McKinon in the 3rd is absolutely terrible

I agree with you about not wanting the Dolphins to panic and "reach" in desperation for an offensive lineman in the first round. I hope the Dolphins do not take an offensive lineman in the first round. I am starting to get my hopes up for Marquis Lee in the first round also. If Miami does go offensive lineman in the first round, then I would love to see the Dolphins draft Donte Moncrief at some point.

I think Lee would be a great first round pick. Our passing game would be scary

San Fran has invested quite a few first rounders into their oline.. seems to have paid off.. and Jawuan James will be long gone by 116... he may not make it to 50

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

McKinon in the 3rd is absolutely terrible

Spending 1st and 2nd's has not worked for us, however (see: definition of insanity). I see playoff teams with good OLines which didn't cost them their future. Expensive draft picks are not the only way to build a good OL. There will be a good RT at #116.

I love McKinnon's upside; he could become a cross between Doug Martin and Darron Sproles who can also throw from the backfield, a Madden covergirl...or...he could struggle. You're right, it's risky; a RT there would be a safer bet. But He's my guy so I grabbed him before someone else does.

The 3 guys I want are:

1. Lee
2. McKinnon
3. Webster (if we get some extra picks) A BB player who may be the best athlete in this TE class. His dad was a Miami DE.

If those 3 guys hit, we could outscore anybody, like a younger New Orleans!

All the rest I'm fine with the alternates (Dixon would be nice too)

The important thing is to deal for extra picks before the end of round 4.

RW

It's hard to keep reading once there are projected trades. I don't know anybody who is that good.

Yeah...don't see that happening....Lee's production ended with Barkley...Brandin Cooks followed closely by Beckham are my receiver choices.

James will not be there in round 4...nor will Turner.

Lee is an average receiver with average numbers who fell off the planet once Barkley left.....Cooks is an explosive rare player with amazing quicks...playmaker.

Too many trade downs and passing on great talent in the second round is dumb.

OK, let's play football....My 11 guys versus your seven. Your "great talent" 2nd can cover my 2-3rds and 2-7ths and your 3rd can guard my 2-4ths.

What is "dumb", is not trying to acquire extra picks in this draft.

RW

Spending 1st and 2nd's has not worked for us, however (see: definition of insanity). I see playoff teams with good OLines which didn't cost them their future. Expensive draft picks are not the only way to build a good OL. There will be a good RT at #116.

I love McKinnon's upside; he could become a cross between Doug Martin and Darron Sproles who can also throw from the backfield, a Madden covergirl...or...he could struggle. You're right, it's risky; a RT there would be a safer bet. But He's my guy so I grabbed him before someone else does.

The 3 guys I want are:

1. Lee
2. McKinnon
3. Webster (if we get some extra picks) A BB player who may be the best athlete in this TE class. His dad was a Miami DE.

If those 3 guys hit, we could outscore anybody, like a younger New Orleans!

All the rest I'm fine with the alternates (Dixon would be nice too)

The important thing is to deal for extra picks before the end of round 4.

RW

Just because he is a former QB in an option offense, doesn't mean he can throw. He didn't complete a pass against Florida.

It's hard to keep reading once there are projected trades. I don't know anybody who is that good.

As I said, both SF and Cleveland will be motivated to move up. Also the picks they got were Miami's original picks which could be negotiated well in advance of draft day. If they don't happen, that is okay; the point is to try to trade down and acquire extra 3s and 4s with whomever we can trade. These trades make some sense pre-draft, but yes, it will be different on draft day. For me, the trading projections do not ruin the mock, they enhance it.

RW

McKinnon is intriguing as heck, rare combo of speed and power. Well built but extremely raw. Never played RB before. I heard he had fumbling issues during senior bowl week. But a rare talent

Yeah...don't see that happening....Lee's production ended with Barkley...Brandin Cooks followed closely by Beckham are my receiver choices.

James will not be there in round 4...nor will Turner.

Lee is an average receiver with average numbers who fell off the planet once Barkley left.....Cooks is an explosive rare player with amazing quicks...playmaker.

So you blame Lee for having a crappy QB?? Lee is the guy I think is going to surprise people the most. Kind of like Keenan Allen. Not the same player but has been so good for so long that everyone is taking him for granted. This kid can straight up play.

Back
Top Bottom