Ricky on 1st Team, Ronnie Brown 2nd Team...But Showing Better Hands | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky on 1st Team, Ronnie Brown 2nd Team...But Showing Better Hands

Calvin Clean

Miami will surprise in 2009
Reaction score
Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown are working on the 1st and 2nd team respectively. Ronnie is showing his catching ability by out performing Ricky so far.

The following is a quote from Greg Bedard's daily camp report from the Palm Beach Post:

RICKY WILLIAMS UPDATE

For the first time Williams took all of his snaps with the first team, and rookie Ronnie Brown worked with the second team. The running backs were used mostly as receivers in a practice dominated by the shotgun formation. Williams has improved greatly catching the ball, but he's still a ways behind Brown, whose great hands helped vault him to the No. 2 overall pick in the draft.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/Dolphins/

I told everybody that Brown has better hands then Ricky

Thats the way it should be at this point.

This shouldn't be surprising to anybody. Brown's known to have excellent hands...Ricky is not.(although he's much improved from his NO days)

nick1 said:

Thanks for the news flash :rolleyes: Pretty sure we all knew Ronnie has superior receiving skills.

Ricky has averaged about 50 receptions per year. Not bad for a guy with questionable hands. I know Ronnie has better hands than Ricky, but let's not get carried away about it. Some people make Ronnie sound like Randy Moss. I hate to say it, but Ricky is still a better all around RB than Brown. Brown has a lot to learn. He doesn't have the instincts, quickness, and creativity Williams has. He may develop it. But Ricky was just born with it. Good luck to both of them against Pittsburg. We'll have a great tandem after our 4th game.

Noodle Arm said:
This shouldn't be surprising to anybody. Brown's known to have excellent hands...Ricky is not.(although he's much improved from his NO days)

indeed.... he was always said to have "small hands" and dropped a lot in N.O. Yet in '02 he was very effective recieving out of the backfield.

SCall13 said:
Ricky has averaged about 50 receptions per year. Not bad for a guy with questionable hands. I know Ronnie has better hands than Ricky, but let's not get carried away about it. Some people make Ronnie sound like Randy Moss. I hate to say it, but Ricky is still a better all around RB than Brown. Brown has a lot to learn. He doesn't have the instincts, quickness, and creativity Williams has. He may develop it. But Ricky was just born with it. Good luck to both of them against Pittsburg. We'll have a great tandem after our 4th game.
I agree! Ronnie needs to prove that he can run and catch the ball in the pros. It will be nice to get a glimpse of him run against Pittsburgh on Saturday.

SCall13 said:

I like the research here. Ricky can't be as bad at catching the ball as people say he is. The stats are not supporting that.

SCall13 said:
I hate to say it, but Ricky is still a better all around RB than Brown. Brown has a lot to learn. He doesn't have the instincts, quickness, and creativity Williams has. He may develop it. But Ricky was just born with it. Good luck to both of them against Pittsburg. We'll have a great tandem after our 4th game.

I don't think any of us can say for sure that Ricky Williams is a better RB than R. Brown. From all the highlight clips I've watched of Brown, he has a lot better vision, and more moves then he seems to be getting credit for. Also RIGHT NOW Brown is Bigger, Faster, and as it's been well documented is a better WR, and from everything I read or hear he is an Excellent Blocker. Ricky does have some major skills at RB, but to say he's better than R. Brown before you even see Brown play a game in the NFL is a bit premature.

outlawd2u said:
I don't think any of us can say for sure that Ricky Williams is a better RB than R. Brown. From all the highlight clips I've watched of Brown, he has a lot better vision, and more moves then he seems to be getting credit for. Also RIGHT NOW Brown is Bigger, Faster, and as it's been well documented is a better WR, and from everything I read or hear he is an Excellent Blocker. Ricky does have some major skills at RB, but to say he's better than R. Brown before you even see Brown play a game in the NFL is a bit premature.

I think you just gotta give the edge to RW becasue he's the vet. He's proven his skills already. I doubt RB has the NFL vision that RW does. Not that he can't or won't, he just doesn't have it yet. I also doubt that RB has better moves than RW.

nick1 said:

Just about everyone agrees Ronnie has the best hands at RB since Tomlinson.

GreenMonster said:
Just about everyone agrees Ronnie has the best hands at RB since Tomlinson.

Then next year Reggie Bush will take that honor.

DolphinPhan said:
I think you just gotta give the edge to RW becasue he's the vet. He's proven his skills already. I doubt RB has the NFL vision that RW does. Not that he can't or won't, he just doesn't have it yet. I also doubt that RB has better moves than RW.

I don't know about the vision, I think RB has pretty darn good vision, but anyway.......... Like I said lets wait a year or two and decide who is or was better, because right now you could make a case for either one saying that Ronnie Brown just doesn't have the experience and has a lot to learn but you could also say that Ricky Williams has really only had one good season(take away his 2002 campaign and he has a career average of something like 3.7 yards per carry

Back
Top Bottom