Rishard Matthews | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rishard Matthews

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Omar Kelly@OmarKellynow
Dolphins top performers 1. WR Rishard Matthews (3 TDs). 2. Safety Kelcie McCray (Int, big goal line breakup). 3. Koa Misi (pick 6)

I have read a lot of good tweets about this kid so far in the OTA's im aware this means little but he also flashed some ability in games and pre season last year as well. Gibson, Wallace and Hartline should all be productive next year, it will be a massive improvement upon last year if we can also get some production out of others like Binns or Mathews.

Ive a good feeling about this kid.

A few other mentions of him today:

Omar Kelly@OmarKellynow
Nice score by Rishard Matthews on a diving catch on a pass from Ryan Tannehill.

James Walker@JamesWalkerESPNnow
#Dolphin WR Rishard Matthews makes two nice catches in the end zone from QB Ryan Tannehill.

Barry Jackson@flasportsbuzznow
Rishard matthews looked good. Tannehill threw int to misi which would have been returned for td if play continued

I love hearing RT threw at least 2 TDs. He really struggled down in the redzone last year. Now that we have more weapons around him it is important that we start seeing more production from his arm down close to the endzone. The better we are at passing down there, the more it will open up the running game down there. Good to hear

People need to lay off on Gibson and give him a fair shot, the guy scored 5 tds last year, more than all our recievers combined, if he has another productive season like that this year nobody will be complaining.

If so, wouldn't Gibson be a subpar option as a no.4?

I think he's about right as a #4. I wouldn't call him ideal there. If you think about the Packers' receiver situation where they had Jennings, Nelson, Cobb and James Jones, whichever guy was the #4...that's pretty ideal. Gibson is not that. But I'd say Gibson is a #4. But that position is usually reserved for a young player that may still develop into a #1, #2 or #3...hence the aforementioned Cobb was at one point the #4 in Green Bay. Gibson is getting right at the point of being considered too long in the tooth to believe he's going to continue evolving...so teams could shy away from him being a #4.

CK makes an interesting point re a potential leap of Matthews over Gibson and one that I agree with.

Extending from this though... if Tyms and Binns or anyone else steps to the fore, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson be up for a trade bait discussion... considering you would then have, taking CK's suggestion; Wallace, Hartline, Matthews then the question would arise of why would you pay Gibson what you're paying him to be the 4th WR.

This 3 through 6 spot WR discussion is going to be fascinating to watch. I just hope that Binns doesn't turn into a legawho situation?

So does that mean some more people are starting to see why I questioned the wisdom of handing Brandon Gibson $3 million of signing bonus?

So does that mean some more people are starting to see why I questioned the wisdom of handing Brandon Gibson $3 million of signing bonus?

Didnt understand it from the beginning either. The guy isn't a slot and we paid big $$$ to hartline and Wallace who will be our outside receivers. This past draft was wr rich and we neglected it. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see chad bumphis out perform Gibson in the slot from the get go. I see all the money we are giving hartline, Gibson, Patterson and Marshall and I can't keep wondering why that couldn't be worked to get Jennings. Wallace and Jennings on the outside supplemented with bailey, bess, Matthews and/or swope seems real nice to me

Not 'starting' to see... I was always curious about the signing in as far as development, but I always considering it a 'system upgrade' over Bess.

I viewed it as a safe move to deepen the WR corps with some Vet presence, due to not knowing what would come from the draft and other undrafted FA's.

What I do like, and taking your GB analogy... is that the 4th spot is for a youngster who has athletic ability to a level where they want to take a shot. Additionally, I would not be surprised at them giving strong consideration to carrying 6 WR's. A lot depends on this potentially interesting development at FB. I'd much prefer going the route of H/Back / TE combos than pure FB's.

If you're right and Gibson starts sliding [and again, it's early days], then I think that speaks to not only Matthew's development but the others.

Not 'starting' to see... I was always curious about the signing in as far as development, but I always considering it a 'system upgrade' over Bess.

I viewed it as a safe move to deepen the WR corps with some Vet presence, due to not knowing what would come from the draft and other undrafted FA's.

What I do like, and taking your GB analogy... is that the 4th spot is for a youngster who has athletic ability to a level where they want to take a shot. Additionally, I would not be surprised at them giving strong consideration to carrying 6 WR's. A lot depends on this potentially interesting development at FB. I'd much prefer going the route of H/Back / TE combos than pure FB's.

If you're right and Gibson starts sliding [and again, it's early days], then I think that speaks to not only Matthew's development but the others.

Only if they get into the games and actually perform well.

Back
Top Bottom