Rishard Matthews | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rishard Matthews

CK makes an interesting point re a potential leap of Matthews over Gibson and one that I agree with.

Extending from this though... if Tyms and Binns or anyone else steps to the fore, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson be up for a trade bait discussion... considering you would then have, taking CK's suggestion; Wallace, Hartline, Matthews then the question would arise of why would you pay Gibson what you're paying him to be the 4th WR.

This 3 through 6 spot WR discussion is going to be fascinating to watch. I just hope that Binns doesn't turn into a legawho situation?

Some forum members may not like Gibson but the staff and GM clearly do.

Some forum members may not like Gibson but the staff and GM clearly do.

Gibson caught my eye last year with the Rams...so, I'm going to cast him aside by any means. What I am concerned with is they may be trying to fit him as a "square peg into a round hole" as a slot...

The people who compare our receiving core to the Packers are crazy. If we switched receivers, the Packers would be much better off. Nelson, jones, and Cob have had Aaron Rogers for over one year. Let our guys develop before we destroy Gibson and compare us to the packers.

Umm... no.

Gibson caught my eye last year with the Rams...so, I'm going to cast him aside by any means. What I am concerned with is they may be trying to fit him as a "square peg into a round hole" as a slot...

Im not a fan of putting him in the slot either.

Lots of folks wanted the team to draft someone to replace Davone Bess, without realizing that replacement was already on the roster.

So does that mean some more people are starting to see why I questioned the wisdom of handing Brandon Gibson $3 million of signing bonus?
I think you have to hedge your bets on Matthews's development. I don't think you can go into the crucial year of your franchise QB's development banking on the idea that Rishard Matthews will buck the odds of the typical 7th-round pick and become a reliable and productive target. If he does, then you still have depth in Gibson for a relatively cheap cost. It's not like we signed him to Mike Wallace money.

Gibson thus far is being used as the replacement for Bess, that's correct. But I think Rishard Matthews will eventually leapfrog him. And I don't think Gibson is going to show any special gift for Bess' role. I think he'll be worse than Bess possibly by a margin.

Gibson thus far is being used as the replacement for Bess, that's correct. But I think Rishard Matthews will eventually leapfrog him (In another year he may leapfrog Hartline IMO). I think Gibson will be better than Bess possibly by a margin or 2 or 3. Bess was not good at all sorry.

That says more about our WRs last year than Gibson.

So, you'd rather him not do well? If he scores 5 TDs in our slot position, he will be an excellent signing for us.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

True. Yet I've heard that this is the greatest phins offseason evaaaaa. On numerous occasions

It is the best. Still offseason though.

Matthews is one of several reasons why I couldn't get behind the Brandon Gibson acquisition. I hope he proves me wrong, but I see more burst, power and determination in Matthews, not to mention speed. Of all the current dolphins WR's, Matthews strikes me as the one who most resbles a Green Bay receiver stylistically.

How could a player that has done nothing in the NFL be a reason you couldn't get behind Gibson? Makes no sense. Did you or do you know that Matthews will be a dominant player? Do you know something I don't? Gibson allows Matthews to come along at a slower pace. He may not need it but, who knew that when Gibson was signed? No one did. If Matthews is the WR some think he can be, we have one of those good problems to have. Too many good WRs. Right now, Gibson is our #3 WR, not #4 and he earned his money with his play last year.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Gibson thus far is being used as the replacement for Bess, that's correct. But I think Rishard Matthews will eventually leapfrog him. And I don't think Gibson is going to show any special gift for Bess' role. I think he'll be worse than Bess possibly by a margin.

Why?

So, you'd rather him not do well? If he scores 5 TDs in our slot position, he will be an excellent signing for us.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

It is the best. Still offseason though.
I'm saying that our WRs were abysmal last year and we only have one this year that is appreciably better than what we had last year with a couple of unknowns.

I'm saying that our WRs were abysmal last year and we only have one this year that is appreciably better than what we had last year with a couple of unknowns.

So, you can't comprehend that by adding a player or players, this will make the players we already have a little better. Like having Wallace will open things up and make Hartline a better WR and Keller a better TE. Having both Keller and Wallace and Hartline for that matter, will make Ryan Tannehill a better QB. Our WRs were abysmal last year but, that's why we've added to them. And we a much better WR group today than we were last year. Our entire WR core looks to be a good one now. And that's with Hartline and Gibson.

Gibson is learning a new position in a new system to him. Matthews has put in some time.

that is what you are seeing right now. thats all. in time, it wont matter, we will have 5-6 WR's with two waiting for playing time, which they will get once injuries start happening.

Back
Top Bottom