Risk vs Reward for Manning | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Risk vs Reward for Manning

MiamiDolphin618

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of speculation about Miami being very interested in Manning if he becomes a FA. I think when making this decision, the risk vs reward is the key component. First off, obviously he must be cleared by the docs and be healthy enough to play. Sure, he could be " one big hit" from being done, but that can be said about every single player in the league. Of course, coming off two neck surgeries he is much more at risk for a career ending hit.

However, the other QBs that seem to be brought up have risks just as great. Matt Flynn, is he going to be elite? Now if Philibin says he wants to go all in for him I will completely trust in his decision, but until that happens I have to question Flynn as elite. Has he looked great in a small sample size? Sure. Is that enough to warrant a large contract...I dont know. Can he come in and play like a top 8 QB, one that we can get to the playoffs and win with? That is a major risk. Same goes for RGIII. Can he compete right now, or do we wait 2-3 years while our premium talent ages. Does he develop? All risks you have to weigh with their rewards. IMO I would rather take the risk on Manning if he is cleared to play. If he stays healthy, we are SB contenders for a few years..and I think that reward is worth it.

I guess the question is do you think the chance of Manning staying healthy is greater than the chance of Flynn becoming Elite...or RGIII becoming worth the compensation we would have to give up for him? Its a tough call...but I think Philibin is the best candidate to make that call..at least in regard to Flynn.

Risk: pay a QB a boatload of money
Reward: have Peyton Manning...

ill take reward, for 500, Alex.

If he is healthy enough to play...SIGN HIM UP ASAP! This is Peyton Manning folks. If you can get him, you go get him! .

Do you give him a max contract?? You bet your *** you do. He is a true franchise QB. Pay the man.

Risk: pay a QB a boatload of money
Reward: have Peyton Manning...

ill take reward, for 500, Alex.

Actually, the risk is the opportunity cost of missing out on Flynn or whoever else we would target as a QB this offseason. The risk is that Manning won't even make it through the preseason (which I think is the most likely scenario).

This move would be even dumber than the Jets going after Favre, because at least Favre wasn't suffering from a permanent injury that limited his strength and movement in his throwing arm.

To me the risk far outweighs the reward in this case..Peyton has maybe 2 years left..You have to pay him a bunch of money and you cant get those 2 years back..Their is no gurantee of winning it all with him and can he stay healthy?

there is no one else like Peyton. If he's healthy you do it and never look back. He's worth every risk. Also, I'm sure now with his little brother going back to the Super Bowl his drive to get back on the field has tripled.

if you had a C2-C3-C4 fusion, what would you're life's calling be: spending it enjoying the ride on Sundays... or getting run over by a ride multiple times on Sundays?

stay home Peyton... you've earned it.

if you had a C2-C3-C4 fusion, what would you're life's calling be: spending it enjoying the ride on Sundays... or getting run over by a ride multiple times on Sundays?

stay home Peyton... you've earned it.

That's the average Joe. This is Peyton Manning. He did't get to his level because he "likes" the game, he got there because he's had a burning desire to play and lifelong dedication to the game. The only way Manning choses not to play is if he can't play.

That's the average Joe. This is Peyton Manning. He did't get to his level because he "likes" the game, he got there because he's had a burning desire to play and lifelong dedication to the game. The only way Manning choses not to play is if he can't play.

Cervical Spinal Fusion Surgery, doesn't discriminate against the "AVERAGE JOE" from Peyton Manning or any Athlete for that matter ... This situation is not like having a torn ACL, MCL or Rotator Cuff tear!!! In those cases "ATHLETES" can FAR out rehab the average person to come back as good or better than before the injury!!! in Spinal Fusion cases, your dealing with Vertebra's, Bone Grafs or Bone Cadavors, Titanium or Metal Plates and most of all Spinal Disc removal ... Spinal Fusion doesn't allow for any person with more desire than the average person to get better faster or quicker ... Manning's DESIRE is clouding his judgement in this situation ... no matter how much the "AVERAGE FAN" wants to SPIN IT; because they want Manning in a Dolphins Uniform, there is no escaping the realities of the type of surgery and it's after affects Fusion Surgery causes the human body .... ANYONE who thinks because it's Peyton Manning and he is an NFL Player he's going to get better YOUR ALL FOOLING YOURSELVES!!! EDUCATE YOUR MINDS 1st before blindly making statements about Manning being in Miami ...

Cervical Spinal Fusion Surgery, doesn't discriminate against the "AVERAGE JOE" from Peyton Manning or any Athlete for that matter ... This situation is not like having a torn ACL, MCL or Rotator Cuff tear!!! In those cases "ATHLETES" can FAR out rehab the average person to come back as good or better than before the injury!!! in Spinal Fusion cases, your dealing with Vertebra's, Bone Grafs or Bone Cadavors, Titanium or Metal Plates and most of all Spinal Disc removal ... Spinal Fusion doesn't allow for any person with more desire than the average person to get better faster or quicker ... Manning's DESIRE is clouding his judgement in this situation ... no matter how much the "AVERAGE FAN" wants to SPIN IT; because they want Manning in a Dolphins Uniform, there is no escaping the realities of the type of surgery and it's after affects Fusion Surgery causes the human body .... ANYONE who thinks because it's Peyton Manning and he is an NFL Player he's going to get better YOUR ALL FOOLING YOURSELVES!!! EDUCATE YOUR MINDS 1st before blindly making statements about Manning being in Miami ...

Yup. No amount of rehab is going to make nerves to regenerate or mitigate the fact that he has a graft in his spine.

Yup. No amount of rehab is going to make nerves to regenerate or mitigate the fact that he has a graft in his spine.
It amazes me how many FANS want to take a chance, without actually knowing what Spinal Fusion is ... MCL's ACL's and Rotator Cuff's are soft tissue injuries that can heal and a person or athlete can come back 100% with proper rehab!!! Fusion's deal with BONE, which is a very different animal in regards to the Human Anatomy and Surgeries ... I realize that other players have come back from this, but how many of them went on TO STAR in the NFL? I'm just as much a FINS fan as the others, but realize at this point Matt Flynn may be Miami's only hope .. Manning may get cleared by some doctor, but BUYER BEWARE!!! Nerves are Nerves and in Manning's case it's the Nerves that run down his Throwing Arm ... You are 100% correct about Manning!!!

Matt Flynn will never be Peyton Manning. However I do believe that he can be a good qb at this level especially under Philbin. On the other hand if he is not healthy enough to play football we wouldnt get him any ways. Ill take a Peyton who is proven (if he is cleared to play again) over Flynn any day. So its a win situation for Miami if they get him because you have a great qb now while maybe this year next year get a another qb to groom in this new era. Also I think everyone knows Manning only has at least only a few years left so we know he wont be the qb of the future. I fully understand his injury and no one will even touch him if he dosnt throw before siging him. Thats why there are team physicals and a very in depth analysis before signing someone like this.

If Manning is good to go, why not pull the trigger? Is Matt Flynn or RG3 HoFer caliber? When Manning is done with the game, you don't think we'll have other prospects like Flynn? You don't think there's going to be another rookie where we can mortgage the farm to get like RG3? There's a new face every year. None of them are Manning level. At the beginning of the season, Manning would have been a lock for the probowl and have his colts in the playoffs, not selecting first overall in the draft. He would have been arguably the best player in the game. He played through his first neck surgery in 2010 and threw for the second most yards and second most TD's in the season. I think that was a down year for him (lower win%, comp%, QB rating "only" 92). This isn't Brett Favre we're talking about. This is a guy that's trying to be the GOAT through ability, not through playing 5 years past his prime. I say Pull the trigger on sure talent. Let the doctors make the call on whether or not playing the game will endanger his life. All it's going to cost us is Ross' money. No trades, no picks. In the immortal words of Randy Moss, "straight cash, homie."

Also, the last time we shied away from a QB with injuries was Drew Brees. Time to sack up.

Henne, Shaub, Cutler, Cassel, Lienhart, all season ending injuries.
I would take my chance with Manning over all of them. We know we have a decent back up. Use it to our advantage.

Back
Top Bottom