Road to Dolphins cleared for Reggie Nelson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Road to Dolphins cleared for Reggie Nelson

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The road to Reggie Nelson? Wide open, people. Wide open.

The former first-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars was something of a disappointment early on but he found his way to the Cincinnati Bengals in 2010 prospered under secondary coach Kevin Coyle. Nelson, 28, had four interceptions, eight passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two sacks last season
Well, Coyle is Miami's defensive coordinator now. See a connection building?

And Nelson, from Palm Bay High school, is a Florida native. More connecting.

And the Dolphins have been searching for an upgrade at free safety. More connecting.

And the Bengals had the chance to franchise Nelson but decided instead to put the tag on kicker MIke Nugent.
hOpportunity!!!

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ad-to-dolphins-cleared-for-reggie-nelson.html

Does seem like a good line of speculation. We've talked about this before.

The one thing is Armando is making an assumption about Reggie when he says he'd be ready to make all the secondary calls. Kevin Coyle kept having Chris Crocker start in the secondary and I wonder if Coyle entrusted the secondary calls to him rather than Reggie Nelson. Reggie never had a reputation for being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Nice...would be a good signing.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 69
tells me all i need to know if the bengals franchised a kicker over a free safety...all i need to know...

tells me all i need to know if the bengals franchised a kicker over a free safety...all i need to know...

And what might that be? That Nelson sucks?

Or maybe that a dependable kicker isn't that easy to come by and more importantly, the price of tagging a kicker is only 2.6 million?

I love an analogies as much as the next guy but what does this even mean? lol.

You're saying he is the tasty breakfast sammich that goes perfect with a steaming hot cup of coffee?

You have not seen the commericals? New Ad campaing for Mcdonalds..plus Kirtsy is fat.

And what might that be? That Nelson sucks?

i think its fair to say that if cinci viewed nelson as being on this major uptick as a player and someone to build around in the secondary they wouldn't be franchising a kicker instead of him...especially given the tag # for one year on a safety isn't rediculous...but i think its also possible that maybe cinci feels like they can get nelson signed so they decided to use the tag on something else...

frankly i think the guys very average...he'll shirk contact and i don't think he's the most heady or intelligent guy back there...but coyle may like him so we'll see

i still think though if they let you hit free agency when your young and in your prime and tag a kicker instead they're not all that warm and fuzzy about you as a player

i don't look at this personally as a outright upgrade i tell ya that much...

You have not seen the commericals? New Ad campaing for Mcdonalds..plus Kirtsy is fat.

No I haven't lol. I would thank this post but the button seems to have disappeared which means Wild William is doing something behind the scenes lol.

I think hoops is right, here.

The franchise tag for a safety is real low, and kickers are a pretty fungible commodity. If the Bengals have decided to franchise tag their kicker and not their starting free safety, that DOES say what they think about him.

I'd do it. Nelson may not be great shakes, but FS is just one of those positions where there is a dearth of talent. Heck, Miami hasn't been that good back there since Brock Marion.

I was actually hoping Michael Griffin made it to FA with Nelson as a backup plan but that's all shot to **** now. I guess Nelson might be the best FA option available at FS assuming you go that route.

Back
Top Bottom