Rodgers, product of system? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rodgers, product of system?

Its a fair point. I like the guy a lot, but I can see why some people still have their doubts. Still, Smith has just as many questions about his play due to the system that HE played in (shotgun, weaker competition, etc).

Point is, both players have some question marks despite being excellent prospects. FWIW, I personally like Rodgers more.

One more thing on Orton: I assume he's all healed up now. How do you explain his weak showing at the Senior Bowl? In the practices andt he actual game. He can't even take a snap from center properly.

LOL Orton showcased the strongest arm at the combine. Posting a 57.3 mph toss. His arm strenght was the only knock the so called "experts" had against him and he went out and proved them wrong.

If I remember correctly, Byron Leftwich, and Drew Brees never went under center either in thier college days. There are many other's that played in the shotgun offense that turned out okay, but naming them all is a waste of time.

Next question...

The two most important things a QB needs are accuracy and the ability to read defenses. The two stats you could point to that give you a clue about these are comp. % and TD:INT ratio. IMO you shouldn't even draft a QB in the first that doesn't complete at least 60% of his passes in the NFL. If you go by size, speed and arm you will draft every Ryan Leaf and Jeff George that comes along. All you really need in size and arm is to meet the min. - avg. criteria of the NFL. Beyond that they have very little importance. Speed isn't even an issue.

IMO you shouldn't even draft a QB in the first that doesn't complete at least 60% of his passes

So you're saying it was a mistake to draft Marino?

Better yet, let's draft LeFors from Louisville. He was 189 of 257 for a 73.5% completion percentage. Oh he's the best, he's the most accurate, right guys. He threw 20 td's and only 3 int's.
Give me a break. If that's the argument for Rodgers, then that's poor.
This is not the year for qb's. Frye, Orton, Orlavsky, McPherson...who knows. These guys are as good as the top two.
What about David Greene? What about his intangibles?

LZoeller12 said:
Better yet, let's draft LeFors from Louisville. He was 189 of 257 for a 73.5% completion percentage. Oh he's the best, he's the most accurate, right guys. He threw 20 td's and only 3 int's.
Give me a break. If that's the argument for Rodgers, then that's poor.
This is not the year for qb's. Frye, Orton, Orlavsky, McPherson...who knows. These guys are as good as the top two.
What about David Greene? What about his intangibles?

Lefors doesn't meet the NFL min. height for the position. None of the others you mentioned are even close to the stats and intangibles Smith and Rodgers have.

LZoeller12 said:
Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system. If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?

Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I, and many others. I don't think he is as good as people think, and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller. And look at him.

What do you all think?

I think Aaron Rodgers is a product of a system...a PRO STYLE system. Cal has an NFL type system they run. If anything Alex Smith is the QB who's passing #'s are suspect because of the wide open offense they run.

You tell me what you think are "intangibles". Smith was a one year wonder, Rodgers was a product of the system.

And the argument for LeFors was sarcastic...just in case anybody didn't know.

Well I guess you all know something NFL scouts dont with all your years of vast personel knowledge....guys Rodgers is a top 10 pick guaranteed, Boller wasnt. If Boller and Rodgers came out in the same year Rodgers would go ahead of him. Hes an elite prospect certainly on a different level than Frye, Orton, Orlavsky, McPherson cmon now lets not get silly to make your point. If u feel he's a bust fine but lets not just pull things out of thin air.

PackPhin said:
LOL Orton showcased the strongest arm at the combine. Posting a 57.3 mph toss. His arm strenght was the only knock the so called "experts" had against him and he went out and proved them wrong.

If I remember correctly, Byron Leftwich, and Drew Brees never went under center either in thier college days. There are many other's that played in the shotgun offense that turned out okay, but naming them all is a waste of time.

Next question...

Haha, ok. Anyone who's seen him play knows that his arm is the least of his worries. Is that the only positive you can bring up? Pretty weak. I brought up the snapping from center because I saw him fumble quite a few times in the practices that were televised. Maybe he's improved since then, maybe he hasn't. I know other guys have made the transition.

PackPhin said:
So you're saying it was a mistake to draft Marino?

I would never have drafted Marino with the 1st or 2nd pick. Once you get to the end of the 1st rd you're weighing risks. Look it's all about odds. QBs that complete a high % in college are more likely to succeed in the pros. The guys who have that along with the other characteristics I've posted before are the guys you take early. Other QBs may still be successful but the risks are higher so you take them later.

This year there are no sure bets at the qb spot. Period. And the fact that you wouldn't have drafted Marino high, just explains your arguments. Lacking knowledge.

LZoeller12 said:
And the fact that you wouldn't have drafted Marino high, just explains your arguments.
I'm pretty sure he means at the time, coming out of college. Knowing what we know now, of course he's worth the #1 pick.

Back
Top Bottom