Rookie of the Year ???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phin, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Phin

Phin Huard for QB!

Did Cadillac get the ROY just because his team made it to the playoffs or was he deserving?

Rushing

Rank---Player-------Team-- Yds--Att--Avg--TDs--Long

13---Cadillac Williams--TB--1178--290--4.1---6----71

20---Ronnie Brown----MIA--907---207--4.4---4----65

Receiving

Cadillac Williams-------TB----81---20--4.1----0----15

Ronnie Brown---------MIA---232---32--7.3---1----38

2. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

He was the media darling from the beginning.

3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 FinHeaven Elite

He was deserving as was Merriman over Brown!

4. Dredd1050

Dredd1050 A STRONG MAN SHEDS BLOOD BEFORE TEARS

Yup. Bunch of horse pucky.

5. Phin

Phin Huard for QB!

Yeah, I feel that same about that.

6. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree 100%. The only way Brown was going to beat Caddy, is if he had ended with much much better stats then Caddy...Close stats, with Ronnie in the lead would have still given the ROY award to Caddy.

7. Scrap

Scrap Hall Of Famer

We picked a good player in the first round. Let's not worry about whether people think he's the best. Let's only worry about what he does for us.

8. kastofsna120

kastofsna120 Banned Hammered

more yards, more TDs, more 100-yard games, played great late when brown didn't, team in the playoffs....cadillac deserved it

9. davster82

davster82 Pro Bowler

I think the fact that Ronnie only had 1 1st place vote should safely say that if you aren't afflicted with major homerism, then Caddies win was justified. If Ronnie had broken the 1,000 yard barrier, he would have won. Both are going to be great players, barring major injury, for a long time. As stated in another thread, both were probably the appropriate picks for what the teams wanted to do with them.

10. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

HE HAD BETTER NUMBERS!

It has nothing to do with media, nicknames, or anything else. The numbers don't lie!

11. GRAPEAPE

GRAPEAPE HI Honorary Member 3am crew

Caddy had a bigger impacton his team and his numbers were better. That plus he was a media darling got him the ROY, he deserved it.

12. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Oronde Gadsden's Official #1 Fan

while they had similiar numbers, i still say Caddy deserved it b/c he was more valueable to his team then ronnie was. Ricky put up the same production and a little better when he started the last 2 weeks. When Caddy went out did Michael Pittman do anything? Caddy carried his team.

13. Lederhosen

Lederhosen Starter

Williams just had better numbers so he more than deserved the award. How would you justify giving the ROY award to Brown? Based on potential?

Also, who cares? troy Stradford was once ROY and look how much that meant.

14. NawlinsBucFan

NawlinsBucFan Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

So many people here seem to think Caddy winning ROY means everyone is spitting in RB's face. It's just an award for the rookie who had the best season and made the biggest contribution to the team. Carnell had the best season of all the offensive rookie this year. What's the problem?

15. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

He overshadowed Brown in the first three games. Had Caddy not been in the league, Brown might have been the media darling...but Merriman and Ware had pretty good years too....

Besides, they did get to the p/o's where we didn't...

16. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

the media darling thing had nothnig to do with anything.

17. UCFinfan86

What was the final voting for the defensive rookie of the year? i was curious to see how many votes Lofa got? and if Crowder got any?

18. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Oh yeah. IT was unbelievable how Caddy outplayed Ronnie:

Caddy: 1178 rushing yards (4.1 YPC) 6 TDs, 81 yards recieving = total yards 1259 combined yards per touch 4.1 yards.
    Ronnie: 907 rushing yards (4.4 ypc) 4 TDs, 232 recieving yards, 1 TD = 1139 total yards. Combined yards per touch: 4.8 yards

Combined number of opportunities: Caddy = 310
    Ronnie = 239

All things, in the voting, were not considered. Ronnie played better than Caddy and was a more balanced weapon. This while sharing touches with RW.

AS an added note, had Ronnie touched the ball as many times as Caddy, assuming the average per touch had stayed the same, Ronnie would have had a combined 1488 yards. His TD total would have more than likely went up.
    Cadddy had a big advantage going into the season. HE WAS the media favorite from the get go. It couldn't have been more obvious. I don't really argue the fact that Caddy is deserving. What I find harder to comprehend is the overwhelming vote for Caddy over Ronnie, which to me proves he was everyone's favorite from the beginning. They were just waiting to hand it to him.

19. UCFinfan86

while i already said caddy deserved to win, i do think that ronnie deserved more votes to atleast make it somewhat closer

20. GRAPEAPE

Ok so people talking about Caddy everyday on espn or Nfl network didn't make anyone pay attention to him at all. As I stated in my post Caddy had better numbers and made a Bigger impact on his team. Being a Media darling couldn't have hurt his chances. and once again he deserved it.

21. WharfRat

WharfRat A True Fan

:yeahthat:

22. twanderer

twanderer FinHeaven VIP

Why is it such a big deal that caddy got it?

23. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

I don't know that it's that big of a deal. I think people are just a little shocked that Ronnie garnered basically no consideration for the award.

24. phinfan2003

phinfan2003 Perennial All-Pro

I agree with you. Caddy deserved the award. I don't think that that means he's better than Ronnie or he will have a better career. He just simply had better stats this year than Ronnie.

25. kastofsna120

kastofsna120 Banned Hammered

brown probably should've did something in the final month of the season if he wanted nay consideration for the award

26. LOCAL SCUM!

LOCAL SCUM! Banned Hammered

Yea..and the numbers clearly show that Ronnie averaged more yards per carry than Caddy. Caddy's got 90 something more carries than Ronnie and STILL Ronnie only trails him by about 200 yards. Plus look at his receiving stats. Ronnie mopped the floor with him there. It's funny cause if you would have given Ronnie those extra 90 carries that Caddy got (3more games basically) Ronnie FOR SURE would have eclipsed him. But somebody already said it perfectly: Caddy was the media darling. THat plus he had a BIG 1st game of the season where he broke a few long ones. After that 1st game or 2, I think the Media along with everybody else (including some horrible fin fans) had it semented that Caddy was the better of the two and that the Dolphins messed up with picking him.

27. NawlinsBucFan

If he gets as many touches and Carnell, defenses start gameplannig specifically for him (the way they do for Carnell) and his yards per touch go down. It not a knock against Ronnie, that is just how it is in the NFL.

28. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

LOL...not likely. There wasn't that huge of a difference in carries. Besides, Ronnie being the bigger, stronger of the two backs, he would have gotten better as the game went by wearing the defense down and I think his numbers would have actually went up. His recieving numbers were well above Caddy's and would have been WAAAAAY over Caddy's had he had the same amount of opportunity.
    Again, I'm not trying to take the ROY away from Caddy. Congrats to him. I'm just a little (NO, alot) surprised that the voting was so lopsided.

29. LOCAL SCUM!

LOCAL SCUM! Banned Hammered

No. Not better stats: only in TOTAL RUSHING YARDS. And THat's it.And Just barely too. By 200 yards. (which Caddy got 90 something more carries BTW) Ronnie beat him out in every other category. Yards per Carry-Ronnie, Receptions-Ronnie, Receiving yards-Ronnie, PLUS: he was splitting time with Ricky! Over in Tampa it's all on Caddy's shoulders.

30. NawlinsBucFan

If you want to hear my thoughts on this plaese check out this thread
    http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=117104&page=5&pp=15

YPC is not a very telling stat to go by.

31. davster82

davster82 Pro Bowler

Who holds the NFL record for Yards per Carry? One of you "Spock ear wearing geeks who probably never even kissed a girl" may know, but it is not a stat that you can really sink your teeth into. It's not the stat that people are shooting for. It is the stat that fans of the player who didn't get the rushing yardage title love to bring up so they can talk about "what if". It doesn't take the ROTY award to justify our draft pick. TB might have taken Ronnie if they had picked before us. It seems I remember Gruden having a "stiffy" talking about Ronnie and him having the best hands of anyone in the draft including wide receivers. Both backs filled the roles their teams asked them to. I think it is pointless to worry about needing the ROTY award to validate our pick.

32. Phin

Phin Huard for QB!

I agree with this... Caddy wasn't as efficient as Ronnie. When you consider that Ronnie wasn't far behind Caddy and had only two-thirds the carries it does seem questionable how little votes he received. Caddy received alot more media play than Ronnie which leads to higher popularity... even if it's just a small amount. Caddy is deserving but Ronnie could have been much closer in the votes.

For those of you that say Caddy was more valuable to his team... since when is it called the "Most Valuable Rookie of the Year" award?

33. GRAPEAPE

Randal Cunningham 6.36
    Jim Brown 5.22
    Mercury Morris 5.14

I will have to buy some spock ears I guess.

34. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Cadillac broke a 1000 yards with a playoff team. The voters do not look at receiving yards as much with a runningback and Cadillac had more 100 yard games. I think too many of us on this board wanted Ronnie to win to validate our player being drafted ahead of him. If Ronnie had not got hurt at end the story may have been differant but Cadillac had time to shine at a crucial time. The award is just an opinion and maybe the presence of Ricky hurt Ronnie in that Ricky put together a string of two very impressive games right before the voting. I think Caddy not sharing the load like Ronnie probably pulled more weight with the judges being that there is no dropoff with Ricky in the game. Does this definativly mean that Caddy is better , hell no just that people thought he was the best rookie this year. In baseball Tom browning won 20 games as a rookie and still lost to Vince Coleman in rookie of the year. Its all a matter of opinion much like the people that think the 29th rated Qb had a good year this year.

35. gofins

gofins another MD finfan

Best post of the thread!:D

36. davster82

davster82 Pro Bowler

I actually though it might be a receiver and if you don't stipulate a minimum number of carries, I bet it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  37. samurai30

samurai30 Member

It was all about the RBBC...Ronnie will not shine..if Ricky stays. If Ronnie was given 20 carries a game...he would of easily surpassed Caddy's stats.....even a non-homer would predict that if he knows football.

38. 305 LoCaL VoCaL

305 LoCaL VoCaL The Producer

wat if his name was jus carnel williams think about that

39. GRAPEAPE

On the search it came up min. 500 carries.

40. Bellson

Bellson Starter

caddy deserved it... i love ronnie but williams started off the season better than any rookie, got hurt, and still managed to rush for almost 1200 yards. No doubt ronnie would have pulled it out if he wasnt spiltting carries with ricky and had an extra 80 carries like Caddy. But that didnt happen but we improved tremendously. Hopefully we can carry our last 6 games' momentum into next year.